Wheels, tires and brakes.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Advanti has announced a new addition to their lineup. They will be making a 16x7.5" Storm S1 in addition to their other sizes.

16x7.5 and the 15x7 could be a killer set up for our cars. I've gone back and forth so much on wheel choices my head is starting to spin. Basically I just don't think there's enough 225+ options for 15" wheels, and 16" under 15lb is very rare.

So I will be going 16&15 or possibly 17&16. The new Storm size should ship approx March 2017.

TomsGarage

Advanti has announced a new addition to their lineup. They will be making a 16x7.5" Storm S1 in addition to their other sizes.

16x7.5 and the 15x7 could be a killer set up for our cars. I've gone back and forth so much on wheel choices my head is starting to spin. Basically I just don't think there's enough 225+ options for 15" wheels, and 16" under 15lb is very rare.

So I will be going 16&15 or possibly 17&16. The new Storm size should ship approx March 2017.
17" is what I went with because of size limitations

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Well still no closer to a decision on wheels. One thing I have noticed is that 15" wheels look great up front, but because the rear of the vehicle is so much visually bigger, 15s look tiny on the back.

So Yesterday I went back to looking at options for the Atom and realized that two of the four 2017 models now come with 17s on the back and 15s on the front. I hadn't really considered this before, I thought it was too great a jump. But 16s still just don't exist in a wheel I like so I may be going this route. Plus is just looks so **** good.
IMG_7166.JPG

AleX1/9

I really like the 17 rear 15 front look! The atom really is the most comparable, best developed platform to compare with. Copying the wheel and tire sizes should give us a decent place to start on the goblins.

I finally painted my donors two best (out of 3) 16x7 wheels along with the 2 15x6.5's I bought to go with em:

I'm hoping these tide me over for a while, but they're so **** heavy and boring :/

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Have been looking at these

http://konigwheels.com/wheels/flow-formed-wheels/hypergram/

In 15x7.5 front and 17x8 rear

Thoughts?
Those are excellent wheels. They were in my top three. Unfortunately they didn't come in black or I would have bought them.

If you're considering wheels I highly recommend speaking to Brian at Goodwin racing.

My top three after many hours of research were: those, 949 6UL, and advanti storm S1 which I ended up buying.

IMG_7331.JPG

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
So with the hypergram 15x7.5 front and 17x8 rear, I was thinking tire sizes 225 front and 245 rear. Is 245 too wide for an 8" wheel?

Nuker-

JSATX

Goblin Guru
So with the hypergram 15x7.5 front and 17x8 rear, I was thinking tire sizes 225 front and 245 rear. Is 245 too wide for an 8" wheel?

Nuker-

Well...do you really want to run a spacer for
10 extra mm?

Storms and hypergrams have same offset of 45mm.

245s are just fine on an 8" wheel. But may rub.

IMG_7341.JPG

(235/45-717)

Tony

So I went with 16x7.5 wheels with a 35 offset and was planning to run 245/45-16 at the rear, that should clear right?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
So I went with 16x7.5 wheels with a 35 offset and was planning to run 245/45-16 at the rear, that should clear right?
I really think it should but honestly can't say for sure.

You've .5" narrower wheels and 10mm less offset. The lower offset alone should allow you to run 20mm wider tires. That plus the slightly narrower width gives you a pretty safe margin in my opinion. Please note I am only basing this off my individual car, which is a base model.

And lots of people run spacers. I personally don't like the idea but that's just me.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
This is what I am thinking, Anything I am overlooking?
Nuker-

Well that would work. But my 205s rub the front a arms. I just don't see any reason to go bigger than 205 on the front when you consider the weight distribution. Just my $.02

BAR-AIR

Same car two different sets of wheels... definitely a different stance....
IMG_0979.JPG
First car is running 15x8 225/50 R15 on the rear with 15x7 195/50 R15 in the front only issue is that I did have clearance problems with the front brake calipers also limited selection of 15" tires. I really like the look and stance but would have liked a little more clearance on the calipers.
IMG_0981.JPG
Second car running 17x7.5 225/45 R17 in the rear with 16x7 195/50 R16 in the front. Nice thing with this set up no spacers were required and definitely no interference problems with the calipers. These will eventually go on my son's car.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Wheel choices are starting to become a nightmare lol...

After looking more I think that something like 17" rear 235 and 15" front 205 would be good. But **** finding wheels is a pita.

Any ideas? I like the hypergram's but I think the 7.5" wheel might be too wide for a 205 tire?

Nuker-

Tony

After looking more I think that something like 17" rear 235 and 15" front 205 would be good. But **** finding wheels is a pita.

Any ideas? I like the hypergram's but I think the 7.5" wheel might be too wide for a 205 tire?

Nuker-
For a 205/50, a 7.5 is about as wide as you can go, but it shouldn't be an issue. However, I agree with the lack of wheel choice.

PHerder

I was looking at options on wheels and found some I really liked until I saw their prices! :eek: ~ $1500-$200 PER WHEEL!!!

I did not save the web site... :cool:

JSATX

Goblin Guru

Nuker-
Yep haha. I spent literally dozens of hours on wheel choices.

It all comes down to weight. There are tons of options in 4x100 if you don't care about having very light weight. If you do it narrows it down some. The three I mentioned before are all good, then theres Sparco Assettos, Enkei has a few different options, I really like the PF01 a lot more than the RPF1 but they were just barely out of my price range.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yeah....

I think I'm just going to do the Konig Hypergrams but I really wish they had a silver color, With the 15x7.5 and 17x8 Run the Toyo R888r in 205 50 15 and 235 45 17.

I know the tread is weird looking on those tires but **** you can't beat the price 115 and 165 each at tire rack!

Nuker-