Brian's City Goblin-06/Crate MotorTC #61

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Spent a few hours trying to get my Tech2 software working again. Apparently there was an updated MDI I didn’t have that I finally found. Good coms with BCM & PCM. This will make the remainder of my testing much easier.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
My wife got the shifter boot sewn up tonight. She needs to finish the elastic corner straps. Instead of the zip tie at the neck, she used elastic. It makes for easier console removal. Will use the stock plastic insert to secure it to the console (trying to use as many Cobalt factory parts as possible).

99C2F0FA-9E85-445F-AE2B-FA58BD058313.jpeg

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Haven’t gotten much done this past week as I’ve been mainly focused on selling the boat (which I did today). Selling a boat is a huge pain in the ass!

Now I have more room in the shop! This will be super nice as I have a place now to put the stuff I used to trip over or frequently move. This also will be a great area to sort, arrange, prep and inventory my parts prior to powder coating.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Had the morning off, so drew up a quick draft of a front wing design and threw up some 3D mockups. Should’t be too difficult using 1/4” aluminum. May also add an actuator to it, to enable 5 degrees of simple adjustability on the fly.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a large welding tabletop, TIG welder, and some sheet metal forming tools, now that my boat is gone and I have room.

A90F6C71-51E8-4F54-AE1B-D1748E967563.jpeg
C54C6D26-53D5-4B3C-8DC6-7749B4FEAA32.jpeg
C3AEDAF7-7893-4BE3-978B-9FB713FA48C4.jpeg
A635F5B3-62F7-4959-92A2-66FD7C867C1B.jpeg
406562C1-EA88-4378-93CB-4CC9388632AA.jpeg
3C9DE599-2F1F-44F4-9118-3777CF8BE60A.jpeg
BA428539-B2C2-4FC5-8326-DD80680FC5E7.jpeg
1A1842D2-32CA-44D4-A4CA-E1933C4A5FB0.jpeg

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Just remember that although that may increase downforce, it want increase it as much as a true inverted wing shape (which you may already know.)

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Just remember that although that may increase downforce, it want increase it as much as a true inverted wing shape (which you may already know.)
Bernoilli’s principal, yes. With the shape, there is some room underneath to create additional low pressure, though it would add a fair amount of complexity to the fabrication.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Yes it would be much more complex, although I'm not sure it's as bad as some of your other projects. If you can a find a shape to copy.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Yes it would be much more complex, although I'm not sure it's as bad as some of your other projects. If you can a find a shape to copy.
Since I am kinda solo with no wind tunnel or engineering team, this would really come down to trial & error testing later on. Run without it, run with it, run different angles, compare results, and incrementally change shape as (if) needed.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
if you want to dig into more, you might look at these sites;
NACA Airfoil Tools and 9 Lives Wing – Occam's Racer (occamsracers.com)
NACA 4 digit Airfoil database search (airfoiltools.com)
You can get plottable shapes from the second if you wanted to give it a try.
I’ll check it out; thanks. The only constraints I’m after at this point is something simple enough to disturb the airflow enough to provide downforce to compensate for a minute amount of cg offset at speed, which matches the shape of the car, and looks like it came with the kit; rather than a snow plow attachment.

I wont be able to expand or revise those constraints until I can functionally test the results. Its always more efficient to start simple and work up than over-engineer and chase down.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Ordered a Primeweld 225x tonight. Not a fan of Chinese stuff, but the reviews of the 225x are ridiculously solid in terms of both the welder and their customer support. I dream of getting to the point of welding my own stainless exhaust, and I’m super ridiculously excited to start learning TIG welding. What an adventure this Goblin build has become!

Tomorrow I will measure out my new shop space and plan out the most ergonomic table/station setup based on what I’ve been experiencing so far.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Unfortunately I think to get any real downforce at the speeds I’m taking curves (sub 100) what I’ll end up with will have to look like a plow.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Unfortunately I think to get any real downforce at the speeds I’m taking curves (sub 100) what I’ll end up with will have to look like a plow.
Its surprising how well a good airfoil can work, once it overcomes drag and becomes efficient.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Ordered a Primeweld 225x tonight. Not a fan of Chinese stuff, but the reviews of the 225x are ridiculously solid in terms of both the welder and their customer support. I dream of getting to the point of welding my own stainless exhaust, and I’m super ridiculously excited to start learning TIG welding. What an adventure this Goblin build has become!

Tomorrow I will measure out my new shop space and plan out the most ergonomic table/station setup based on what I’ve been experiencing so far.
I've almost bought that welder a few times, the reviews on it are great! Excited to hear your review on it!

I didn't like the idea of the plow wang on the front either so this is what I came up with. It uses wing pieces from 9lives. So far it seems to be helping quite a bit.
View attachment 23521
That looks really good!

Think there are ways to use the 9LR element without it looking too much like a plow. In my limited time I've been working on using one of the 9LR elements and modifying to to fit tighter into the body. Not even close to a final product, brackets/mounting etc need to be refined if I continue in this direction. My hope is that DF is working on a badass front wing that they are keeping quiet.

9LR offers a really good looking front wing for exocets. I want to see if they'll sell me the smaller elements.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I've almost bought that welder a few times, the reviews on it are great! Excited to hear your review on it!

That looks really good!

Think there are ways to use the 9LR element without it looking too much like a plow. In my limited time I've been working on using one of the 9LR elements and modifying to to fit tighter into the body. Not even close to a final product, brackets/mounting etc need to be refined if I continue in this direction. My hope is that DF is working on a badass front wing that they are keeping quiet.

9LR offers a really good looking front wing for exocets. I want to see if they'll sell me the smaller elements.

What program are you using to create those drawings? It looks good.

I’ll be glad to do a review on the Primeweld, but you might have to wait a year or two while I figure out how to use it, lol.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
What program are you using to create those drawings? It looks good.

I’ll be glad to do a review on the Primeweld, but you might have to wait a year or two while I figure out how to use it, lol.
Solidworks.

2 years is about right with the number of knobs on the front of that machine!