Registering in MI

jirwin

Goblin Guru

Mahkoi

Question for you guys on the MI process. I'm ready to scrap my body but whoever I have scrap it is going to want the title. But I believe i need the title as proof of where the engine/ trans and other parts came from when I register the Goblin. Is the SOS OK with a copy of the title for proof of parts when registering?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I can’t answer for that state, but Texas wanted the title for the cobalt. I ended up having to cut up my shell to scrap it, so I wouldn’t have to give up the title.

The title is good “proof” you didn’t steal anything to build the new car.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I kept my title because I didn’t want to have questions at the SOS. if you cut the car up it’s no longer considered a car so scrapers can take it without you having to hand over the title. Here’s what I did to mine. Not sure where you are in Michigan but I took it to a scrap yard in n Sterling Heights

Attachments

gearjammer

I had cut up my donor like SMS, but they still wouldn’t take it without the title because they could recognize it as a vehicle. I am basically storing the pieces now :-/

Mahkoi

I kept my title because I didn’t want to have questions at the SOS. if you cut the car up it’s no longer considered a car so scrapers can take it without you having to hand over the title. Here’s what I did to mine. Not sure where you are in Michigan but I took it to a scrap yard in n Sterling Heights
Sterling heights is only about a half hour from me. I'm in Clarkston. I was hoping to avoid cutting it up but I had a hunch that was the route I'd have to go. Time to bust out the Sawzall and start throwing chunks on the trailer. Thanks for the info everyone.

Mahkoi

I had cut up my donor like SMS, but they still wouldn’t take it without the title because they could recognize it as a vehicle. I am basically storing the pieces now :-/
I'm not sure if they are in your area but I'd bet if you waved down one of those fellas that drive around and go scrap hunting on trash day they'd be happy to help you "unstore" those pieces.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure if they are in your area but I'd bet if you waved down one of those fellas that drive around and go scrap hunting on trash day they'd be happy to help you "unstore" those pieces.
Idk that scrap is worth that much anymore, at least I haven’t seen scrappers in my area in a while

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Scrapper here in IL only needed a copy of the title so he could report the VIN. He preferred I emailed him a pic of the title so he didn't have to store a paper copy.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Question for you guys on the MI process. I'm ready to scrap my body but whoever I have scrap it is going to want the title. But I believe i need the title as proof of where the engine/ trans and other parts came from when I register the Goblin. Is the SOS OK with a copy of the title for proof of parts when registering?
I posted my shell on craigslist and had someone come with a trailer to pick it up within 24hrs. He didn't bother me about yhr title. Im sure if you post it, someone will want it.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
All scraps are up, but bulk metal is still cheap. It’s the aluminum copper and such that are worth more.

TravMac

I have someone who lives up by Saginaw that is looking for a shell if anyone in MI has one still.
I will in Midland in the next few months. Want to get everything registered before selling off my spare stuff. Just for scrap?

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
I will in Midland in the next few months. Want to get everything registered before selling off my spare stuff. Just for scrap?
No the guy races FWD dirt track and he uses cobalts. I gave my shell to his competition and he is looking for another.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
What did everyone say for the " certification statement" for the SOS. was it just a cover letter of sorts?

Mahkoi

I'm not sure how you guys got your paperwork done without it built yet. Mines completely assembled. I called the Oakland County Sherriff office and got and officer who filled out section one of the tr-54 and assumed section 2 was for the state inspector. The SOS informed me today that was wrong so I called the OCS again and this time got two officers one of which specialized in vehicle inspections....it didn't go well. I got tagged one the plexi windshield, no wipers, no washers and no bumpers and got a bit of a sermon about "you guys that try to drive these off road dune buggies on the road need to learn the rules". I'm guessing i had a visable eye twitch when he called it a dune buggy for the fourth time. So........I'm making some bumpers now and have the most basic manual wiper imaginable on order. Still gotta hodge podge some kinda squirter together. Gonna try again after that and see if I get tagged on the plexi windshield again. then I get to go to the SOS again just to see if I get a picky state inspector later. Still desperately trying to get some kinda ride in this year but my hopes are down after today. Anyway, that's my rant about the state that will let you drive the most unsafe, rusted out pile of junk on the road with no problem but heaven forbid you put a perfectly safe car together on your own.