Accusump oil system

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Will be installing an Accusump and looking for tips and advice from those who have installed similar oil assistance systems on their Goblin or other Ecotec based vehicles.

The goal is to provide oil to the motor under hard cornering where the oil may be sloshed too far for the pickup to pump oil causing a loss of oil pressure. A pressurized oil supply should create an equilibrium providing oil when the pump is not receiving oil from the pickup.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The Accusump is a great product. I would suspect that the main oil galley plugs on the block should be the port to install it into. If I remember correctly, the oil pump is at the flywheel end of the block. Choosing the oil gallery plug either on the front or back side of the block closest to that end would provide the greatest chance of maintaining good oil pressure to the rotating assembly. Is there a minimum size port the Accusump must be connected to, size adequate fluid flow is also necessary?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The LSJ has the oil pickup near the pulley side of the engine. The other ecotec engines may be different.
The circle is where I found some cam chain guide parts that didn't get past the oil pickup screen.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Will be installing an Accusump and looking for tips and advice from those who have installed similar oil assistance systems on their Goblin or other Ecotec based vehicles.

The goal is to provide oil to the motor under hard cornering where the oil may be sloshed too far for the pickup to pump oil causing a loss of oil pressure. A pressurized oil supply should create an equilibrium providing oil when the pump is not receiving oil from the pickup.
Did you read what Jeff Loesche wrote in the Facebook group, DF Goblin Owners and Builders?
Justin Reed and Jeff were talking about oil baffles and the accusump in their race Goblins.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Couple of other points:

I read some logic that says its best to supply the motor oil at the furthest point away from the oil pump since that will be first place to starve for oil.

I also have access the 3 different oil pans right now 2010 b207r , 2007 LSJ and an 08 solstice gxp I've read the LE5 pan has better slosh control so I may pull all these pans and see if there any beneficial differences.

Old forum Cobaltss.net forum on oil sumps

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Did you read what Jeff Loesche wrote in the Facebook group, DF Goblin Owners and Builders?
Justin Reed and Jeff were talking about oil baffles and the accusump in their race Goblins.
Yes and posted a picture of my cracked piston

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I am also in the process of installing an accusump! I haven't had one on the Goblin yet but I took this unit out of the other car that I was autocrossing and taking to track days. The fun part about them is you don't know if they're working properly because if they are then you won't have any issues. I'm deleting the stock oil cooler and switching to a remote mounted unit and teeing off of the cooler line for the accusump. That's how they recommend installing it and that's how I had it installed in the other car. I have the cooler and accusump mounted, now I just have to run the lines.
PXL_20201107_223755475.jpg

ccannx

Goblin Guru
What remote cooler unit are you using, does it come with an adapter plate ? I will have to look up the oiling paths I assume it comes from the pump through the oil filter and flows out from there. My cylinder 4 gave out which is on the furthest side of the motor from the filter.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I bought the adapter piece that goes where the stock oil cooler is from OTTP and I'm just using a Derale cooler. The nice part about the Accusump is that it maintains pressure in the entire system when the oil pump temporarily starves so it doesn't matter where it's mounted as long as it's plumbed into the the pressure side of the system.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Looks that way, either heat or pressure driven. Looks like oil is pumped to that port from the timing chain cover driven by the crank then it goes through the cooler or overcomes that switch to the oil filter housing. The b207r cooler mounts directly to the motor and the oil pressure sensor is in between the knock sensor and crank angle sensor. Ross posted about it here : https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/rosss-extended-city-easy-entry-goblin-06-ss-sc-nw-arkansas.847/post-28302. Maybe the accusump can be connected right into the LSJ oil sensor location and the location by the Crank position sensor can be used for the oil sensor.

Attachments

Fozda

Goblin Guru
The oil sensor has such a small port for just reading pressure, you really want a port around 1/2-5/8" to flow enough oil in the case the system starts to drop pressure.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
The sensor is deceiving because the hex is so large but it's a pretty small fitting so it wouldn't be able to flow enough to maintain system pressure.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
So stupid question, Is there a big difference in an "oil" cooler and a transmission fluid cooler?
Not a stupid question, I had to ask that same question not too long ago. From my research, trans coolers are essentially just smaller and not as efficient oil coolers. Most "trans coolers" are just tube and fin coolers that are fine if you just need to maintain a fluid temp in a fairly stock vehicle. Oil coolers are typically bar and plate type that force the fluid through many channels allowing it cool much more efficiently. Because of this, I opted to run an oil cooler as a trans cooler in my other car because it has a high stall converter and it would heat up like crazy on the track. Unless you're using a high stall converter you'll most likely never generate enough trans temp to really need to use a nice oil cooler to help maintain temps and can just get away with a much cheaper trans cooler option.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Not a stupid question, I had to ask that same question not too long ago. From my research, trans coolers are essentially just smaller and not as efficient oil coolers. Most "trans coolers" are just tube and fin coolers that are fine if you just need to maintain a fluid temp in a fairly stock vehicle. Oil coolers are typically bar and plate type that force the fluid through many channels allowing it cool much more efficiently. Because of this, I opted to run an oil cooler as a trans cooler in my other car because it has a high stall converter and it would heat up like crazy on the track. Unless you're using a high stall converter you'll most likely never generate enough trans temp to really need to use a nice oil cooler to help maintain temps and can just get away with a much cheaper trans cooler option.
Thanks,
I was asking because I am going to put a remote oil cooler in due to 1 getting that ugly block off the side of the engine and 2 one of the tubes is dented so besides being restricted Im not sure I fully understand how "cooling" oil with 170deg water works.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
The sensor is deceiving because the hex is so large but it's a pretty small fitting so it wouldn't be able to flow enough to maintain system pressure.
View attachment 19113
What's nice is that the sensor actually screws into a 1/2 adapter
Thanks,
I was asking because I am going to put a remote oil cooler in due to 1 getting that ugly block off the side of the engine and 2 one of the tubes is dented so besides being restricted Im not sure I fully understand how "cooling" oil with 170deg water works.
Whats to stop people from running it on the supercharger coolant loop ?