Audio Options

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm thinking about using my footwell cover as a mounting point for the midrange speakers in a component set. I'm going to try to find out how much clearance there is between the footwell cover and the hood ... should be enough space to fit a shallow speaker in there, particularly toward the front of
Mids might get a little muddy aimed into the footwell, lots of things bouncing the sound around, but can remedied with some equalizer tweaks.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Yep. If the clearance is there, though, I'm going to try it (just not sure how I'm going to measure that clearance). There will be a rear channel as well, so I am hoping for a combination that sounds good.

Maybe I can take a ball of my kid's play-dough, stick it to the top side of the footwell cover, then put the hood on and smush the ball to get a fair assessment of the clearance. lol

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
So, to refresh this thread, I did eventually do the foil ball test and I am not pleased with the clearance between the footwell cover and the hood.... there's just not much there. It might be possible to find a shallow driver that will fit, but they would have to be mounted much further forward on the footwell cover than I would like.

So another idea came to mind ... the vertical sides of the footwell cover, facing inward toward the driver's/passenger's legs. There is enough space there to fit a 5.25" driver (with mounting depth to spare, about 3 inches between the hood and footwell cover), and if you go with a component set (as in, a separate driver for midrange, with a separate tweeter and a crossover network to split the frequencies correctly), the awkward positioning of the midrange driver should still sound OK. I would not recommend using this location for a normal 2-way or 3-way combination speaker though, the highs will not sound good. I am planning to eventually put a nice component speaker set in this location as described.

Now on to something I am more excited about .... I came across THIS crazy little creation in my YouTube feed. It's a 3D-printed subwoofer box that can take a petite 3" subwoofer (linked to in the video's description). From what I can tell from the video, this little contraption sounds pretty dang good! I might get quotes on getting the 3" enclosure printed, but it seems to be a complicated print that takes a long time and would be pretty costly. I know we have some 3D-printing experts here; what's your assessment on printing this little enclosure?

I really like the idea of using this enclosure ... seems really appropriate for a self-built kit car.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Sound response is probably very good, it is an engineered and tuned box. It sounds good on the video in the enclosed studio room they were testing in. The problem with using such a small driver is the sound pressure level; in short, there is no replacement for displacement. The video flashed the specs on the screen for the tiny driver stating 76 dB, which is the volume at 1 watt input. Not efficient and will not produce very much sound pressure (which is needed to reproduce the low frequencies in an open environment). I don't want to discourage you from this, but a computer subwoofer will probably be a little disappointing in an open air Goblin.

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I'm not going to bite. It just intrigued me for a little while, that's all. :)

Plus, the driver itself is only rated for 15W RMS/30W peak, which is really low for driving the low end frequencies.

Goblin Guru
Bump.

So here is what I ended up going with:

audio_order.jpg

I intend to mount the midrange drivers in the vertical sides of my footwell cover, a few inches back from the front, with (not shown) 5.25" foam rubber baffles to protect the back of the drivers and to help with mid/bass response. To do this, I will cut appropriately-sized holes with a jigsaw and a diamond grit blade. I will have to figure out a way to mount the tweeters on my dash.

The amp is perfectly-sized for the speakers, and I may bridge it and run it in 2-channel mode to see if the speakers can take it. Since it's a 4-channel amp, I can do it that way or reserve the rear two channels for future use. I may end up putting another pair of 5.25" speakers in the engine cover.

The universal BT receiver comes with a handlebar mount (may not work well for this application, we'll see) and gives a way to control the audio from the dash, rather than just from a phone. I don't want to have to fiddle with my phone while driving.

The wiring kit is 10-gauge, plenty for this application.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I have a Kenwood DMX4707S head unit running into a Sound Ordnance M75-4 4ch amp driving 2 Fosgate P142 4" speakers in the dash and 2 Soundstream WTS-6B 6.5" pods hanging from the back hoop. The Kenwood sub output goes to a Sound Storm LOPRO10 low profile powered sub behind the drivers seat.

PHENDERSON

I'm curious about adding something simple in the future. Ideally a pair of speakers and some Bluetooth unit I can run SXM or Pandora through my phone. I'm not worried about great sound or being really loud, just something to hear music occasionally when driving at low speeds. Wondering if anyone has set something like this up and has recommendations.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I'm curious about adding something simple in the future. Ideally a pair of speakers and some Bluetooth unit I can run SXM or Pandora through my phone. I'm not worried about great sound or being really loud, just something to hear music occasionally when driving at low speeds. Wondering if anyone has set something like this up and has recommendations.
What I posted actually works pretty good. These cars are loud enough without having to try and turn up a radio enough to hear it over the noise at highway speeds.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
The headphones? Isn't that illegal to have on while driving?
Not illegal in AL that I know of. But I really use it for the noise reduction. The noise level in a Goblin is about as loud as what it was on a motorcycle and most of the people I rode with used ear plugs. There will be difference in how much noise you will encounter based upon windshield height and how high you sit in the car, but I couldn’t image several hours in mine without hearing protection or trying to listen to music over the wind noise. I can also still here things like sirens and car horns if they are close enough to matter.

Has anyone tried active noise canceling earphones for something like this? If so how did they they work?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Not illegal in AL that I know of. But I really use it for the noise reduction. The noise level in a Goblin is about as loud as what it was on a motorcycle and most of the people I rode with used ear plugs. There will be difference in how much noise you will encounter based upon windshield height and how high you sit in the car, but I couldn’t image several hours in mine without hearing protection or trying to listen to music over the wind noise. I can also still here things like sirens and car horns if they are close enough to matter.

Has anyone tried active noise canceling earphones for something like this? If so how did they they work?
I use a Cardo headset in my helmet, that’s made for motorcycles. All hands free functions for radio, intercom, cell phone and such.