Brett W’s City Goblin – 09 SS Donor #229 v1

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Sorry to hear about your accident.

I can speak first hand about what it's like to have to build again. We were much more fortunate that no one was hurt. I thought long and hard about if I wanted to rebuild. The worry of "what if" played very heavy in my mind. Kaleb even said at one point he didn't know if he could ever drive it again if we did rebuild. Then it dawned on me, I knew how much I would regret not rebuilding and only having the short memories. It was a project that he and I did together, how can I just walk away?

After talking with Lonny, there was no other choice then to rebuild and this time I could do things differently than the first time, you know, if you had to do it to do I all over again would you change anything? I was determined to make it even better.

I'm glad we did now! Kaleb drives it any chance he gets! And we are still making memories. As a dad, I have to swallow a lot of "what if", a lot of it! I don't regret it for a minute.

There is a hell of a lot of support in this group and I'm sure there are many willing to help if you do. I can tell you, the second time is a breeze!

I hope you get well soon.

Brett

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I can speak first hand about what it's like to have to build again. We were much more fortunate that no one was hurt. I thought long and hard about if I wanted to rebuild. The worry of "what if" played very heavy in my mind. Kaleb even said at one point he didn't know if he could ever drive it again if we did rebuild. Then it dawned on me, I knew how much I would regret not rebuilding and only having the short memories. It was a project that he and I did together, how can I just walk away?

After talking with Lonny, there was no other choice then to rebuild and this time I could do things differently than the first time, you know, if you had to do it to do I all over again would you change anything? I was determined to make it even better.

I'm glad we did now! Kaleb drives it any chance he gets! And we are still making memories. As a dad, I have to swallow a lot of "what if", a lot of it! I don't regret it for a minute.

There is a hell of a lot of support in this group and I'm sure there are many willing to help if you do. I can tell you, the second time is a breeze!

I hope you get well soon.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. In my mind, I am rebuilding. However, I have to take the family into account. The stress that this has caused my wife, I cannot even understand. She feels much the same way as Kaleb felt. She is hesitant to even set foot in a Goblin, which is understandable and completely my fault. It will take time to make the decision but it isn't my decision to make, in my case, its my families (Kids, Wife, Me).

I love doing stuff with my hands. Building stuff. Furniture, firearms, bathroom remodels, just general tinkering. Building a car was, in my mind, the final achievement. Now I just need to prove that I can do it safely the second time around.

As an aside, I am already working on a Goblin dolly so I can move it around the garage while I recover. Always tinkering, always thinking of something. ;-)

Brett

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was also thinking how fortunate you are that you were driving around the neighborhood for you maiden voyage. Our first was straight to a two-lane Highway at 60 MPH (with oncoming traffic :oops:). In hindsight, that was a bit dangerous. We don’t really have a local spot to test drive.

Brett

Hello Extended Goblin Family!
Ok. It is time for an update on my status, my Goblins status, what happened in my accident / my accident outcome thoughts, a recap of the 2/6/2021 meetup at my house to review my Goblin, and what the plan is going forward. This might get a little long, so please bear with me.

First off, let me apologize to the community and DF for my initial post on my accident. I am not sure what I was thinking posting about my accident when I did. I have left the post up but removed, what on reflection, was misinformation.

My Status

I am going to keep this high level and short since I hate making this about me and not my Goblin, but it is pertinent to what follows in this post.

I am healing up just fine, however it looks like I might be on crutches for 6ish months (or more). The 4 bone brakes are reassembled and healing as expected (13 screws and a plate). The Achilles is healing as expected however, it is my understanding, that recovery from a severed Achilles can take 6-9 months. I am now starting month 2 so I have many more months ahead of physical therapy and recovery. In my mind, this means I have 6-9 months to disassemble to Goblin and source replacement parts.

Now, if my tail bone would just stop aching. I was told it was not fractured or broken but bruising of the tail bone can take months to heal. It is getting better.

Current Status of my Goblin

Currently, my Goblin is in my garage in an initial phase of disassembly.

I built a Goblin dolly and will be building an engine dolly shortly to drop the engine. I have a 4 day weekend coming up so I might get this knocked out then.

My disassembly process is, pull off part, inspect it, inventory it and mark inventory if replacement is needed. Bag it / tag it, place part in proper bin (recycle, return to DF, suspect, reuse). This also includes all hardware. Move to next item. Note that I am keeping all items except those destroyed beyond salvaging. Items like the radiator and fan were completely destroyed so their parts are being disposed of.

Once disassembly is complete, I will have a detailed list of parts needed that I can share and hopefully source from the community and DF.

Fortunately, it appears that there is extraordinarily little damage to the wiring. The only wires that were severed were to the drivers side headlight and that is a simple fix.

So far, the only item broken in the rear of the car is the fuse box mount. If I can source a replacement, great, but I can also fabricate a bolt through mount to the frame that should work just fine. Given the damage to the rest of the car, this is somewhat surprising, at least to me. Lonny has looked over the frame and did note some bending in the rear area that I had not noticed. My major concern here is that the subframe is bent. DF has a jig to put subframes on to check them so I will drop it and have them check the subframe.

Accident Causes

I suspect that this will be the section most of you want to review.

Please note, I am taking responsibility for my actions. I do not need the internet roasting me more that I have roasted myself.

There were multiple factors that caused my accident. The bulk of which, can be traced back to me.
  • Suspension not fully dialed in, initial alignment completed, but not perfect.
  • Poor tire selection (300 TW tires, could have / should have been sticker?)
  • Operators lack of experience with driving ultra-high performance vehicles.
  • Non-ideal road conditions (industrial park with imperfect road surfaces).
  • Excessive speed for the environment.
I do not believe that anything broke on the vehicle prior to impact. I chose to do one pull with the car, due to road conditions and speed greater than the posted speed limit, the rear end of the car lost traction, started a rotation, and lost control. That lose of control cause me to impact a parked and unoccupied 2002 Dodge Intrepid in an offset fashion, similar to an offset barrier crash test.

For various reason, I am not disclosing my estimated speed. The people that need to know, know. Please don’t ask.

The fact that I was able to exit the Goblin, much less, still be here is testament to the engineering that went into the Goblin.

Here are a few of my takeaways:
  • I am a gun guy, so I am going to use a firearm analogy. These vehicles should be treated like all firearms. Like they are loaded, at all times (even when they aren't). When handled improperly, bad things can happen. Especially, the higher horsepower variants.
  • Personally, I think the 5-point harnesses saved my life. There are differing opinions on this subject, however I would highly recommend that if you buy a kit, get the harnesses.
  • Listen to the forum and get sticky tires, I believe 200 treadwear or sticker is the consensus.
  • Don’t drive your car for 10 minutes and do a pull. Bad things will happen. I am proof of that.
  • If you are unsure of your capabilities with your car, go to an Autocross and get familiar with it, do not test yourself on public streets.
  • When you get to a point of test driving your Goblin, even if it is 500 feet up the street, get somebody to look it over, check all the bolts, check the fluids. Better yet, if there are Goblin owners around you get them to look it over, help you out with alignment. I can honestly say, every owner that I have met has been an upstanding person and would help someone out with their build.
I have many more thoughts, but these are really the important ones.

Goblin Get Together, 2/6/2020

On 2/6/2020, I hosted a get together at my house for all that wanted to attend. We had a solid turn out with a majority of the Houston region Goblin owners. In addition, Lonny and his wonderful wife came down from Red Oak. Semiofficial list follows (I am sorry if I missed you):
  • Lonny
  • Brenda (Lonny’s wife)
  • JBINTX
  • SACTX
  • ROTTYS
  • JOEBOB
  • Sajeev (close friend, car enthusiast, neighbor, car blogger)
  • Rick (closer friend, car enthusiast)
  • Jim and Viv (father / stepmom)
  • My wife, me, and 2 kids
  • Plus, several others that stopped by
I think we had a great turnout due to the abnormally great Houston weather and the provided food

Wang-less

Mrs. Brett and Brenda Doyle - The two most understanding women in all of Houston on that day.

A big shout out to the Houston crew for coming by and letting my kids clime all over your Goblins!

What’s Next

As I talked about above, I am currently disassembling my Goblin to rebuild. The real question is, am I building to keep if for the long term or the short term. No matter what, I am rebuilding. The short-term vs long term decision is something that me and my family will decide together.

The reality is that DF and I have come to an agreement on various parts needed that I cannot turn down.

Hopefully, I will have an inventory in the next 6-8 weeks that I can post online and I can track down some parts.

The beauty of getting to build it again, is that I get to do things differently. I already have a high level list of changes that I am considering such as:
  • Sliding and reclining seats
  • Steel floor panels? I have a welder, and a plasma cutter.
  • Move the heat exchanger to the drivers side rear above the fuel tank.
  • Run the radiator hoses through the tunnel so that I can rivet to the lower side rails (debatable).
  • Stereo?
  • SACTX’s shifter!
  • Wider tires, think Ross wide tires....
  • LED headlights (have)
There might be others, I do not know.

I think that is enough for now. Ask all the question you want but please refrain from attacks on my mistakes.

Until next time.

Brett

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
There will be no attacks here. I already know how hard it was for you to admit to what happened, and anyone that opts to attack you for it, can fight their way through me to do it. I'm glad you're rebuilding, even if it only ends up being for the short term.

Good luck in your recovery.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I don't think you have to worry about any attacks, no one on here would stoop that low. Glad to see you had such a great turn out, that's what this Goblin community brings.

You are correct, these are high performance cars and like any performance car, they can get you in trouble. And not always is it that one is doing something completely stupid, these cars are pushed to the limits for the pure joy of it, and sometimes the limits find you. It's good advice to do that at the track. However, we all go beyond what we really should be doing on the street from time to time. I find myself constantly reminding myself to not go crazy every time I want to, but it's just so hard some times.

Also good advice about going over the car from time to time. After I heard about what happened to you, I did a quick once-over of many suspension components just to see what I might find. It's a good idea at the start of every season by really going over the car carefully and check everything. You just never know what you might find. We have to remember, these are one-offs built by humans, and mistakes can happen; they won't be factory perfect.

Good to hear that you are rebuilding and improving. I can tell you first hand that it helps a ton with the mental rebuilding also. Look forward, not back, learn and improve going forward! I really think you would have regretted not rebuilding. Even if once you get it back together you decide to sell it, it will help you to conquer it and not just give up.

And finally, we are all here to help as you already know. Just let us know what we can do.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Brett, everyone was glad you are recovering now and will heal up after this event. Your health is paramount, because broken Goblins can be fixed. Thanks for the detailed explanation and it is reassuring to others that it doesn't look like something broke that caused this mishap.
I personally see this as a lesson learned and take to heart your firearm analogy. A Goblin is fun to use, but it can be dangerous if misused or abused. Every vehicle has its quirks and the driver needs to learn them - in a safe manner - which I'm sure many of us with newly birthed Goblins will be certain to learn.
Get well soon and keep us apprised of your progress.

KSLunsfo

I'm sure most anyone here really appreciates your honesty on your thoughts of the possible causes of this unfortunate event... I read something like this and try to allow it to humble me a bit in realizing just how easy things can go wrong. By sharing this you have possibly made a number of people just a bit safer.

Hoping for a (speedy as possible) recovery.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Lonny had a dream. He brought it to fruition. We all thought his dream was cool. We bought it. It brought people from all over in random places together to this forum. Most are friends who will never meet face to face, but some of us are lucky enough to shake each other's hand. You are friend in my book and a hell of a man too.
See you soon.

PaulPerger

Glad to hear you are recovering. Cars can be replaced, I have replaced several! People can't. Glad to hear your get together went well.

I agree that understanding car guy wives are the best! Mine won't even get in my Fiat, she probably won't get in the Goblin. She won't come to the track to watch or ride along, but she also encourages me to go and never makes me feel guilty for leaving for a day, a weekend, or a week, because she knows how much I love it.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Thanks for being open and letting us come by to see it. It was a great day and glad you are recovering well.

Signed,
prez and ceo of the wingless club.

Brett

Speaking of "wangs", I ordered my new one today. It's nothing special, but I like the looks of it better than my current one and the upright spacing is pretty close. Plus, I got the last one, yay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192441115066

*edit* Ok, no more derails from me!
I bet thats gonna look awesome. My cheapo from amazon is waiting to be installed.

We tried to put it on ROTTYS but we didnt get away with it.

Brett

Its been a little while since I have posted but I have been lurking and reading. Doing this helped track down a contributing factor for my rear end instability.

My original donor car was totaled and the front lower control arms were slightly damaged in the cobalt accident. Specifically, there was a gouge of aluminum missing from one of the control arms. Given the fact that the car had 167K miles on it, I decided to just replace both control arms and purchased replacements from RockAuto.

There was a comment in another thread (that I cannot currently locate) that indicated RockAuto was sending out lower control arms with 19.5mm ball joint studs. The Turbo SS's (2008-2010) have 20.5mm ball joint studs on the lower control arms.

I decided to hobble around the Goblin last night and was able to determine that I have 19.5mm studs and not the required 20.5mm studs. This would definitely contribute to instability in the rear end. I should have caught this during assembly but it didn't "feel" incorrect.

Lesson learned is it check your parts. I still think about how fortunate my family was given the fact that I gave my kids and wife rides around the block.

Be back in a month with another random update ;-)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Yes, I ended up using the knuckles from my first donor ('07 SS) just to avoid the 19.5mm vs 20.5mm stud problem. This created a problem later in that I needed different parts from DF than my donor indicated, but it wasn't a big deal.

Brett

I swung by DF today to drop off my wiring harness. Lonny and crew (most likely, the chief wiring harness inspector Brenda) are going to go through it and make sure that there are no issues from my accident.

Had a great time visiting with Lonny, Brenda, Adam, and GoblinGal. Thank you for the hospitality.

Picked up a new addition.

Hopefully, I don't wreck this one :p

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
At this point I wouldn't order any control arm for a TC that isn't a GM part. I don't think anyone has found an aftermarket that will work.