Brett W’s City Goblin – 09 SS Donor #229 v2.0 - Registered

Brett

On todays episode of "Which hex key is it anyway?" we start a Goblin!

Had a few electrical gremlins to chase down and had to setup a relay for the Spal fan I put on the heat exchanger. Nothing major.

Also, had the replace the brake position switch since it thought the brakes were pressed all the time.

It has fluids but I need to get the car up to temperature and "burp" the coolant system then top it off.

Also, ran into some random tolerance stacking where my wheels just barley fit on the studs on the wheel adapter / spacers.

Up next, check every single bolt, alignment, have the Houston crew go over it, and test drive.

For various reasons, the test drive is going to wait till after the 25th.

Brett

Last edited:

Joebob

Goblin Guru
On todays episode of "Which hex key is it anyway?" we start a Goblin!

Had a few electrical gremlins to chase down and had to setup a relay for the Spal fan I put on the heat exchanger. Nothing major.

Also, had the replace the brake position switch since it thought the brakes were pressed all the time.

I had the same problem and found that the issue was the bolt was too tight on the bracket. Backed it off a bit to let the sensor "float" and the switch works now.

It has fluids but I need to get the car up to temperature and "burp" the coolant system then top it off.

Also, ran into some random tolerance stacking where my wheels just barley fit on the studs on the wheel adapter / spacers.

I had the same issue with aftermarket wheels and needed to buy extended lug nuts to get a bit more than full diameter thread engagement. make sure you have 8-10 turns to tight.

Up next, check every single bolt, alignment, have the Houston crew go over it, and test drive.

I used a paint pen to mark the bolts/nuts that I torqued so that I wasn't missing anything. Visually the rear looks way more toed in than it is, and when I went to what looked good, I was 1.5 degrees toed out and was scary under throttle. I now have .25 degrees total in and is highway stable.

For various reasons, the test drive is going to wait till after the 25th.

Let us know if you need someone to predrive the route for Intrepids. ;)

Brett

Ross

Goblin Guru
Congrats on a successful first drive. Much less drama this year, and a major, major milestone in your build. Merry Christmas to you, and yours.

Brett

I have been hesitant to post this article here since I don't want to dwell on the past and move on. However, a good friend of mine is a writer for Hagerty's and wrote an article on my v1 Goblin build and moving on to v2.

It's a great article and reminds me that this journey is more than just building a car but also the friendships formed and family gained.

I know Hagerty's has had some issues with insuring the Goblin. Once I get to that point, I will be working with them to hopefully get the issues that they have smoothed out.

Brett

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I have been hesitant to post this article here since I don't want to dwell on the past and move on. However, a good friend of mine is a writer for Hagerty's and wrote an article on my v1 Goblin build and moving on to v2.

It's a great article and reminds me that this journey is more than just building a car but also the friendships formed and family gained.

I know Hagerty's has had some issues with insuring the Goblin. Once I get to that point, I will be working with them to hopefully get the issues that they have smoothed out.

Brett
Let me know if you do please. I have 2 cars already insured with them and they still won’t insure my goblin