Chris’s 2007 SS/SC track frame build for autocross

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I’m joining the fun and building Chassis 162 located in Richmond virginia

I purchased my donor car this past Tuesday locally for 2700 it’s a 2007 ss/sc with a whooping 197k miles on it.
Compression looks decent car still pulls strong. Has a little rattle at startup that goes away after it warms up. Oil is dirty and spark plugs are worn to the nubbins. Clutch looks new !

Where do people sell unused unwanted parts from donors ?

Attachments

Last edited:

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum.

I'm jealous of your max jacks, keep considering selling my motorcycle lift and buying one for my garage, how do you like it?. Believe we have the same tire change and blast cabinet as well...

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nice. My non-running donor has the same mileage. It got me started, and it got you here too. It is a great hobby!
Worn engine parts can be replaced, memories are forever. Congrats!

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum.

I'm jealous of your max jacks, keep considering selling my motorcycle lift and buying one for my garage, how do you like it?. Believe we have the same tire change and blast cabinet as well...
The MaxJax Has made life easier for sure. Everything is 10 times simpler than using jack stands. I have barely used the blast cabinet and thinking about moving it outside to conserve space. I Love the tire machine its paid for itself a few times over.
Nice. My non-running donor has the same mileage. It got me started, and it got you here too. It is a great hobby!
Worn engine parts can be replaced, memories are forever. Congrats!
Worn is right ! The car is so cute its almost a shame to tear it down.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
The outside actually looks pretty clean for 200k miles. Have you looked into registration in VA?

Any idea if you'll need a windshield or fenders? My sister lives there and I considered registering it there.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
The outside actually looks pretty clean for 200k miles. Have you looked into registration in VA?

Any idea if you'll need a windshield or fenders? My sister lives there and I considered registering it there.
I haven’t thought about registering it but I do plan on making a Jeep style windshield and a bikini top. Nothing fancy probably all straight angles, would like the sun off my head.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Got a start on the build today, actually took the day off because its raining here and wanted a mini vacation from work.

Taking a look at the supercharger it looks like it has a 3.10 pulley on it from intense. I need to look and check out what injectors are on the car.

Attachments

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Got the fuel out of the tank and purchased a new fire extinguisher for the garage ! Safety First !

Didn't have the right spades so I used terminal connectors and clipped a foot off. No holding the jumper in place to pump the fuel free'd me up to watch the gas can fill two times before the tank was drained.

Attachments

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I ran into a snag yesterday trying to pull the doors. The Cobalt doors did not open far enough on the MaxJax lift, only one bolt held me up and I was able to remove it from inside the car. The Door harness came apart easy enough with the fenders removed from outside the car.

Attachments

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Got the dash out. The collapsible steering column gave me a fit and would not collapse for some reason so I took the column and wheel out before I removed the dash. That did the trick !

Attachments

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Body wiring harness out and dash ready to strip down. The previous owner has a lot of extra wiring tied in for LED lights and an amp in the rear just cut loose and dangling around in the car. Surprised it didn't catch on fire during the test drive....

Attachments

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Some parts cleaned up and ready. I got new control arms because 200k bushings and ball joints are not appealing. New inner and outters coming for the steering rack also since the originals were worn out.

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If you have got your steering stem to collapse yet, see this posting about it. Very common issue.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
If you have got your steering stem to collapse yet, see this posting about it. Very common issue.

Excellent ! That helped it was sorta caked up in there and turned to a wax, having it out of the car helped un-gunk it . I have been watching your rebuild and didn't catch the posting about the steering column.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Got a nice coat of POR15 on the sub-frame and started stripping and cleaning the valve cover to paint. Someone has already painted it in the past so I have a bit of extra work to do.

Tonight I also got the AC compressor apart and just the pully remounted to the engine thanks to Alex1/9's thread :

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Got a nice coat of POR15 on the sub-frame and started stripping and cleaning the valve cover to paint. Someone has already painted it in the past so I have a bit of extra work to do.

Tonight I also got the AC compressor apart and just the pully remounted to the engine thanks to Alex1/9's thread :
POR15 is the way I plan to go. The stuff is far tougher than powder coat, it doesn't chip or crack. Just be sure to put a top coat on it, it will not last out in the sun as UV rays will break it down over time.

Are you sticking with black or going with a another color?