Custom Ignition Switch Electrical Adapter

bradr

Ask as ye shall receive! Wait, no one asked....

Anyways - I designed a small plug n' play adapter that will reduce the complicated key switch electronics to two wires for the folks that want to use switches or buttons to turn on / start the car.

How it works:
  • Plug the key switch connector into the Goblin Ignition Adapter.
  • Apply ground to the pink wire to turn on the ignition.
  • Momentarily apply ground to the purple wire to start the car.
This setup eliminates the "Accessory" position as there is no need in the Goblin. An example setup might be a toggle switch for "Ignition" and a momentary push button for "Start". Video of operation below. NOTE: This does NOT eliminate the need for a chipped key in vehicles equipped with PK3+. You can tape a key inside the black plastic ring and tuck it up under the dash, disable it using HP tuners (select vehicles) or several other ways.

If there is anyone who wants one, I have two spares - $45 each shipped.

Schematic for anyone who wants to build their own or understand how it works.

Last edited:

WYGoblin

Will this work on all years of cobalts. I have a 2008 cobalt ss turbo donor. If it will work with it I will take one.

bradr

I believe all years use the same key switch pinout. I have only verified that the 07-10 Cobalt uses the same key switch pinout. If / when you are ready, shoot me a PM.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Ask as ye shall receive! Wait, no one asked....

Anyways - I designed a small plug n' play adapter that will reduce the complicated key switch electronics to two wires for the folks that want to use switches or buttons to turn on / start the car.

How it works:
  • Plug the key switch connector into the Goblin Ignition Adapter.
  • Apply ground to the pink wire to turn on the ignition.
  • Momentarily apply ground to the purple wire to start the car.
This setup eliminates the "Accessory" position as there is no need in the Goblin. An example setup might be a toggle switch for "Ignition" and a momentary push button for "Start". Video of operation below. NOTE: This does NOT eliminate the need for a chipped key in vehicles equipped with PK3+. You can tape a key inside the black plastic ring and tuck it up under the dash, disable it using HP tuners (select vehicles) or several other ways.

If there is anyone who wants one, I have two spares - $45 each shipped.

View attachment 12073

View attachment 12071
Nice work!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
If there's still one available, I'll claim it.

I've come to the realization that, when I see a new "gadget thread" posted by bradr, I'm gonna be spending some cash.

Well done, yet again!

WYGoblin

If there's still one available, I'll claim it.

I've come to the realization that, when I see a new "gadget thread" posted by bradr, I'm gonna be spending some cash.

Well done, yet again!
I have that same problem lol

bradr

The two spares are claimed and I have one person still wanting one. If anyone else wants one, please let me know so I can justify running a few more.

Anks329

Oh this is so cool!! Push to start a goblin? Yes please.

I’d definitely be interested in one as well. :)

Goblin Guru
Just note that this adapter is not strictly necessary to make a push-button-start Goblin. Older Cobalt donors can get their VATS/PK3+ disabled by HP Tuners, and can then install any push-button kit on the market. Not so much for 08-10 Cobalts (might only be the SS, I am not sure). The Bosch ECM can not have VATS/PK3+ disabled by HP Tuners. Bradr's upcoming device would be necessary.

bradr

Just note that this adapter is not strictly necessary to make a push-button-start Goblin.
Correct, a few relays and a resistor, and you can make your own push button start adapter. This simply makes it more plug n' play. This is not intended to be a "product" - I simply wanted to offer up my spares. The spares are now spoken for. I am willing to do one more small run as there is some interest.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Correct, a few relays and a resistor, and you can make your own push button start adapter. This simply makes it more plug n' play. This is not intended to be a "product" - I simply wanted to offer up my spares. The spares are now spoken for. I am willing to do one more small run as there is some interest.
Yes :)

bradr

Ok, so the current list is:
  • WYGoblin Shipped
  • Ark :D Shipped
  • BAR-AIR Shipped
  • Mayor West Shipped
  • Dylan Stan Shipped
  • Anks329 Shipped
  • Peregrinus Shipped
  • ccannx Shipped
  • Lando217 Shipped
  • Lonny Shipped
I ordered in nine more raw circuit boards - I expect them to arrive in about two weeks. I will wait another few days before ordering the components for the boards to see if anyone else wants in (five spots left). Once the boards arrive, I should be able to assemble and ship them within a few days.

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Can you clarify what to do with the key for the TCs? I was under the impression that you're required to have the key in the ignition switch and turned on before the anti-theft module , black plastic ring, will read it?

Goblin Guru
I'm not bradr, but I believe I know the answer. It sounds as though all you need is the chip within the plastic VATS/PK3+ ring. That doesn't necessarily mean it has to be in the ignition, just within the ring. Or, if you're a gambling man, you can use HP Tuners (or on newer cars, bradr's upcoming VATS/PK3+ Bypass) to remove the key check altogether and just roll with a push-button only. Obviously you'd want one of the push-button kits in that case, one of the ones with a dongle that needs to be closeby for the button to work. Otherwise, you really ARE a gambling man.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm 99.9% sure the key has to be in the ignition switch.

Goblin Guru
Not trying to be argumentative, I promise ... but nothing I am reading at that link indicates, to me, that the key needs to be in the barrel, just that it needs to be inserted into the "exciter", which per the picture and caption, is just the plastic ring that surrounds the barrel of the ignition.

pk3.jpg

Now, that doesn't mean the "exciter" separates from the ignition barrel easily. When I damaged mine, I attempted to swap it with one from a good ignition switch and was unable to get it off. It felt like I was going to break it, so I just stopped and will use the key relearn process instead.

Any input bradr?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I was .1% wrong. It looks like the black plastic ring will wirelessly power the chip in the key which then transmits the read back to the module.

bradr

The key simply needs to be inside the black ring - you can tape the key to the ring and tie the assembly up under the dash. As for push button start, it can be as simple as toggle for the ignition and a momentary switch for the starter. You can also use a push button starter kit with a key fob so the car will not start without a keyfob in your pocket.