Custom Ignition Switch Electrical Adapter

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yeah. That's sort of the route I wanted to take. Excited to see this kind of development going on.

Thanks Brad!

Anks329

The key simply needs to be inside the black ring - you can tape the key to the ring and tie the assembly up under the dash. As for push button start, it can be as simple as toggle for the ignition and a momentary switch for the starter. You can also use a push button starter kit with a key fob so the car will not start without a keyfob in your pocket.
This is my plan, a push button start with a key fob. Of course, I need to get the Goblin built and running first! :)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'd like to go push-button, but without the key fob, instead opting for a Bluetooth module that acts as a transponder and relay ... the logic would say "Is the module paired with this guy's smartphone? If yes, toggle relay on. If no, toggle relay off". I'm not finding anything on the market that already does it that way, so I might need to craft something. I'm finding Bluetooth relays that let you toggle them on and off via an app on the paired device, but I'm looking for proximity detection, like a key fob, without a key fob.

bradr

I'd like to go push-button, but without the key fob, instead opting for a Bluetooth module that acts as a transponder and relay ... the logic would say "Is the module paired with this guy's smartphone? If yes, toggle relay on. If no, toggle relay off". I'm not finding anything on the market that already does it that way, so I might need to craft something. I'm finding Bluetooth relays that let you toggle them on and off via an app on the paired device, but I'm looking for proximity detection, like a key fob, without a key fob.
All I will say is that I built the ignition adapter as part of a larger project in progress ;)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
All I will say is that I built the ignition adapter as part of a larger project in progress ;)
Any hint about the 'larger project'? I'm still waiting to see what the next Goblin goody that you are working on Brad. Wishing that a TPS fix would be in the making??? :D

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Ok, so the current list is:
  • WYGoblin Shipped
  • Ark :D Shipped
  • BAR-AIR
  • Mayor West
  • Dylan Stan
  • Anks329
  • Peregrinus
I ordered in nine more raw circuit boards - I expect them to arrive in about two weeks. I will wait another few days before ordering the components for the boards to see if anyone else wants in (five spots left). Once the boards arrive, I should be able to assemble and ship them within a few days.
If you have any left please add me !

bradr

Good news, the circuit boards are in, and the parts are on order. I expect the parts to be in Monday.

Please note, I am populating the theft resistor on the board with a 1.3k ohm resistor. This is what the electrical diagrams show, confirmed by my key switch measurement. I only bring this up because ctuinstra measured his key switch theft resistor at 1.8k, which means there is a small chance that the theft resistor might need to be swapped out with a different value resistor. In the unlikely event the ignition adapter does not work (for any reason) and you are not able or willing to swap the resistor, I will be happy to have you send it back for a refund.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Good news, the circuit boards are in, and the parts are on order. I expect the parts to be in Monday.

Please note, I am populating the theft resistor on the board with a 1.3k ohm resistor. This is what the electrical diagrams show, confirmed by my key switch measurement. I only bring this up because ctuinstra measured his key switch theft resistor at 1.8k, which means there is a small chance that the theft resistor might need to be swapped out with a different value resistor. In the unlikely event the ignition adapter does not work (for any reason) and you are not able or willing to swap the resistor, I will be happy to have you send it back for a refund.
This was a point of much question for me also. I also read that it was 1.3K but I used what was in my car just so I knew it would work fine. I'll bet it will work fine. I pre-wired another system for someone else and used a 1.5K but I don't know if they have installed it just yet.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
This was a point of much question for me also. I also read that it was 1.3K but I used what was in my car just so I knew it would work fine. I'll bet it will work fine. I pre-wired another system for someone else and used a 1.5K but I don't know if they have installed it just yet.
I was getting ready to buy all the parts to do what you did in the other thread but the member you sold your system too PM'd me and offered to sell it to me. So I bought it. I've tested it and it worked, but haven't permanently wired it in yet.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was getting ready to buy all the parts to do what you did in the other thread but the member you sold your system too PM'd me and offered to sell it to me. So I bought it. I've tested it and it worked, but haven't permanently wired it in yet.
Glad to hear!

bradr

9 boards ready to go (the picture below is before I put them in heat shrink). I have PM'ed the 7 people that indicated they were interested. I have 2 (possibly more) unclaimed boards. If you are interested for $45 shipped, let me know. I do not have plans to make another batch of these in the future.

Peregrinus

9 boards ready to go (the picture below is before I put them in heat shrink). I have PM'ed the 7 people that indicated they were interested. I have 2 (possibly more) unclaimed boards. If you are interested for $45 shipped, let me know. I do not have plans to make another batch of these in the future.

View attachment 12338
Got your pm, payment sent, thank you!