Fozda's Standard Track Goblin - 06' SS/SC #196

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Finally got the car out to a big track! I haven't been to Blackhawk Farms in a couple years but it felt like it was time for the Goblin to stretch its legs a bit. It ran terrible so I have some work to do but it was a lot of fun and I'll be heading back in about a month to try again. Hopefully I can get the running issues sorted by then!
DSC_0723.JPG

DSC_0595.JPG

DSC_0710.JPG

kalishek

Nate: When you get your tune sorted go to a Road America open track weekend. See what real speed is like. Can hit top speed on front straight, turn three to turn five, and past kink to turn twelve. Was able to hit 168 mph going into turn one in my Ecotec LNF 2.0L; 999 Supersport Mk1 making 340hp in a 2400lbs chassis (car pictured in my avatar). Track will want you to wear arm restraints in open vehicle like Goblin.
KAL

Last edited:

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I’m curious what kind of power you were putting down when this happened. What turbo, psi, other mods, etc. You didn’t just throw a bearing, but blew out the sidewalls! Has me worried that I should’ve spent the money for a girdled block

Fozda

Goblin Guru
It's a k04, made 320hp and 430tq on a Mustang dyno. Pump gas, 23lbs of boost. I was pushing it hard and it was getting hot so the current consensus is the ring gap was too small (stock) and expanded too much. I didn't pull them out and open up the gap on the "new" motor so I'll probably just turn the boost down a touch, make sure I always run the meth injection, and not run it if it's getting hot and hopefully I can avoid this scenario happening again! I've considered E85 a number of times since it's readily available here and I set up the fuel system to handle it but I'm just worried about the size of the tank making it impossible to drive anywhere.

Ross

Goblin Guru
You just praying the ring gap won't explode the new engine? Sounds expensive. It is easy with a feeler gauge and a file.

Gap according to this should be:

For high performance engines, the multiplier changes to add more clearance, but the math stays the same:
Racing Blower/Supercharger - 0.007" x 3.386" (86mm) bore = 0.024" ring gap

For the second ring, the process is the same, but with a slightly different gap, based on application:
Racing Blower/Supercharger - 0.0063" x bore size = 0.022" ring gap

Last edited:

Dsteinhorst

There may have been a suspect tune involved that wasn't helping anything. Same guy tuned mine and we have some common slip-ups like leaving the MAF faulted or Dynamic air disabled.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I just looked at your dyno results posted in April. Isn't it running on the lean side? Just a quick search on the LSJ on HP Tuners seems to show preferred AFR around 12:1 at WOT.

Dsteinhorst

It's very possible the AFR wasn't scaled right. Same happened to me. This is my dyno snapshot.
PXL_20220426_213134899.jpg

I confirmed with my WB that it was under 12 the whole time.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Even with it shifted down to an acceptable range, it looks lean on the roll in or it's very rich at the upper end.