GOTW - 3-8-24 #49 Chad and Kaleb Tuinstra

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
This week's Goblin of the Week was built by Chad and Kaleb Tuinstra from Jefferson City, MO. This father-son build stands out with custom CAD-designed touches, a convenient push-to-start system and a wild wrap.

What is your name?
Chad and Kaleb Tuinstra

Where are you located?
Jefferson City, MO

What is your forum screen name?
@ctuinstra

Build log on forum:
ctuinstra's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC donor 2.0

What is your chassis number?

When did you buy your Goblin?

Tell us a little about yourself.
A Service Manager by trade, I've always been interested in anything electrical/mechanical. I'm always interested in learning and looking for new projects to tackle.

How did you become interested in cars?
My dad had a 1968 Corvette and worked on it all the time and now I have the car.

What drew you to the Goblin?
My son saw a YouTube video and he wanted to build one. I thought it would be a great father/son project before he went off to college. We still work on and drive the car when ever we get together.

How does the Goblin fit into your lifestyle? (daily driver, weekend warrior, both)
Weekend Warrior

Tell us about your build. (who did you build it with? where did you build it?)
I built it with my son, Kaleb. I did a lot of the boring cleaning and prepping and let him watch the build videos and do much of the wrenching. He also designed and created CAD drawings of custom items such as the cup holders, dash buttons, gauge mounts, seat adapter brackets. He was studying engineering in school, so this was a great opportunity to exercise his new-found skills. We stripped the donor in the shop but built the car in the basement garage.

What, if anything, have you modified on your Goblin that sets it apart from others?
A push-to-start system was big upgrade. I tired of belting all up and strapping in tight only to find out the keys were in my pocket and I couldn't get to them without unbuckling everything; just push to start! By now many others have come up with some pretty incredible ideas that I'm going to have steal and implement. But our wrap is pretty wild, maybe not for everyone, but those that like it, really like it.

Do you have any memorable road trips, races or events you've attended in your Goblin?
Oh heck yeah! Every trip is very memorable! The best are the meet-up with other builders; some of the nicest people you will meet. And we all have a little bit in common. Some of the trips have been a bit crazy and wild, borderline just scary. But I think about every time we take the car out, it's a great time and makes for some great memories.

Is there a particular aspect of the Goblin—be it the design, performance, or community—that you appreciate the most?
I really appreciate the Doyle family and the rest of the DF crew for all the support over the years and creating such a community for the rest of to be part of. Of course the Goblin is just such a unique car, it get's a lot of attention where ever it goes, that's always fun!

Finally, do you have any future plans for your Goblin—any upcoming modifications, trips, or events?
We've been mostly done with the car for a while now. Recently I just installed the new shifter. Maybe in the future, we might put some aero on the front.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Love the car, the enthusiam, and all the help you give to the community. Thanks Chad and Kaleb!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
This car, along with Ross's, and BAR-AIR's, were my greatest reasons for getting into the Goblin game. Thank you guys, for all your participation on the forum!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
This car, along with Ross's, and BAR-AIR's, were my greatest reasons for getting into the Goblin game. Thank you guys, for all your participation on the forum!
Agreed. This was one of the ones I had saved in my photos that got the ball rolling. :cool: It played a part in my headlight design too. I liked the twin pod look, I just changed mine a bit.

Dale E

Chad, Kaleb, Lonny, Brenda were the first Goblin owner/builders I met, when they came to a Midwest Sevens event. That seems many moons ago!! It's fun to watch the brand as it has grown, as well as the changes to the individual builds over the years.

Awesome times!!