Is this possible?

Gr8wheels

OK, frame # 406 here. I bought a 2006 SS at auction and it has a clean title, no mention of salvage, etc. So I'm here in Nokomis, Florida, and have read the tales of woe in trying to get tags for a kit car here. So the question is, why can't I just register the DF kit car like a 2006 Chevy cobalt using my unblemished title?
I can stamp the VIN. # from the donor onto the Goblin frame and Presto! I've got tags. Insurance may require some fancy footwork though.
So

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Probably not legal but I don’t know what the “punishment” would be. If involved in a traffic stop and they check that far, might get towed and impounded until it’s straightened out. Only speculation on my part though.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
This is what I'm going to do when I build my next one but I think I'll just rivet the vin tag from the dash on the frame somewhere.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The NTSB Federal Code of Regulations Title 49 appears to prohibit the transfer of a VIN from one vehicle to another vehicle. The VIN number assigned to a chassis stays with that chassis for life. Any new chassis/frame must have a new VIN assigned.

I'm certain that anyone looking at a Goblin will not accept that a VIN from a Cobalt is even remotely legal under this regulation. Not sure I would try doing this since there are likely some serious legal ramifications involved - like taking away your Goblin or worse.

Jesse24

I have had a couple "street cars" that were all tube chassis racecars...

It's always a debate at what point, when you replace every part on a chassis is it a new car?

I'm sure it's not legal, but I have seen many carbon fiber bodies on tube chassis' with a VIN plate from the "original" car.

*EDIT* just watch any drag week coverage and see multiple examples :oops:

Dsteinhorst

The previous inspector from Wisconsin explicitly stated this is unlawful because not enough of the Cobalt is still there. I'm going to say appearance is 90% of the issue and actual frame type (tube, CF, etc) is minimal concern.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Don't do it. In Florida it's a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. Worst case do what I did. Tag & Title in Montana then once you have a valid title do a Florida title transfer & get a Florida Tag. You need any help feel free to message me.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
What's a felony?
Altering or falsifying a VIN number.

Section 511(a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part. Section 511(b) of Title 18 creates exceptions for certain persons who engage in lawful conduct that may result in removal or alteration of an identification number. The legislative history is abundantly clear that subsection (b) is not intended to create a loophole for the operators of "chop shops." See H.R.Rep. No. 1087 on H.R. 6257, 98th Congress, 2d Sess. 23-25 (1984).

Gr8wheels

Thanks for the replies, all good stuff. No sooner than I posted the question than I spotted another Florida Goblin owner's great post about how he got it done here in FL. So I'll follow his lead and be legal as well as happy with the insurance co.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Altering or falsifying a VIN number.

Section 511(a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part. Section 511(b) of Title 18 creates exceptions for certain persons who engage in lawful conduct that may result in removal or alteration of an identification number. The legislative history is abundantly clear that subsection (b) is not intended to create a loophole for the operators of "chop shops." See H.R.Rep. No. 1087 on H.R. 6257, 98th Congress, 2d Sess. 23-25 (1984).
Relocating doesn't seem to be mentioned there. I assume they'd rather have the vin tag moved to the dash bar since the dash was removed from the car when the rollcage was installed.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Removing the dash doesn't move the VIN tag. It is embedded in the layers of steel that surround the base of the front window frame. Removing the Cobalt steel that surrounds the window frame base would.

Before I started my Goblin project, I asked the Arkansas DMV "How much of the original vehicle needs to be included to register a vehicle?". The lady I talked to said that I needed a VIN tag from an old non-totaled car to register a tube frame vehicle. Just the VIN tag. Her answer made me wonder... but that is what I was told. I have seen a full tube framed rock crawlers with Arkansas plates on the roads here.

PaulPerger

Thanks for the replies, all good stuff. No sooner than I posted the question than I spotted another Florida Goblin owner's great post about how he got it done here in FL. So I'll follow his lead and be legal as well as happy with the insurance co.
Link to that post please...

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Link to that post please...

PaulPerger

Thank You!!!