Josh's City Goblin - 10 XFE Donor

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I'm really debating buying something like this to measure the IAT and IAT2 (since my ECU can't do both, I rewired 1 to 2). I'm curious how much its actually heating up the air. It could be that the air intake is just pulling warm air from the engine bay. I started building an air box for the intake for this purpose, but there's just not all that much room to make it happen. I think that's the route I'm going to go for now, because I don't think there's any benefit to adding a fan as it won't allow for any additional airflow, except at slow speed.
I really like that side pod. You could always run on one on each side and connect them in series? If you have the dual pass setup then you could have each outlet go to a side pod and then have the two cooled streams connect back before gong back into the laminova cores. (opposite of the current dual pass setup).

FYI, the Torque App will let you display IAT1 and IAT2 from the ECU. $5 paid version and then you input the PID, the free version can't do it.

I also considered making a box for the intake or a shield of some sort but I'm terrible at fab work. I was going to make it out of cardboard and then go from there.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I have an OBD2 dash thing in use as a speedometer. I display IAT2 there now. My ECU doesn't support both since it didnt have IAT2 from the factory being NA. I wired the IAT2 sensor into the IAT sensor so I can read IAT2 via IAT. I lose regular IAT though, hence the additional gauge

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I think that if I could get the coolant res relocated and a different hat/hanger for my fuel pump I could make it work. They both get in the way of a proper air box currently.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
I log always IAT and IAT2. Then I calculate ratio between the two of them. Like 113/85F =1.32

That should give a value which is comparable over different outside temperatures and I would love to compare it to my and others set up.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I have an OBD2 dash thing in use as a speedometer. I display IAT2 there now. My ECU doesn't support both since it didnt have IAT2 from the factory being NA. I wired the IAT2 sensor into the IAT sensor so I can read IAT2 via IAT. I lose regular IAT though, hence the additional gauge
I did the same way as you to take the MAF IAT and connect the wiring to the on manifold IAT2 location as the more critical. Not that I have tried, but could you put the ambient temp sensor in the airstream to scan and log the IAT temps? Or wire the MAF temp to the ambient sensor wiring?

Joe

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I log always IAT and IAT2. Then I calculate ratio between the two of them. Like 113/85F =1.32

That should give a value which is comparable over different outside temperatures and I would love to compare it to my and others set up.
I always look at the difference between my ambient air temp and my IAT2 to check for heat soak, but I would think that instead of a ratio to use a delta difference between the two. More like HVAC temp readings and looking for a 20-30 degree rise from ambient as ok...or not.

Joe

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
I always look at the difference between my ambient air temp and my IAT2 to check for heat soak, but I would think that instead of a ratio to use a delta difference between the two. More like HVAC temp readings and looking for a 20-30 degree rise from ambient as ok...or not.

Joe
Good point. The difference is the better value for comparison. 80/60 is not equal to 120/100.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I did the same way as you to take the MAF IAT and connect the wiring to the on manifold IAT2 location as the more critical. Not that I have tried, but could you put the ambient temp sensor in the airstream to scan and log the IAT temps? Or wire the MAF temp to the ambient sensor wiring?

Joe
That's a thought. I was thinking about that or using the AC pressure one like some do for the wideband. Definitely a cheaper solution

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I'm already thinking about abandoning these DRZ rads. It might be better to have it setup where the rads are perpendicular to the airflow because theirs already getting quite bent up lol

signal-2024-04-10-17-11-20-587.jpg

jirwin

Goblin Guru
On second thought, the bike itself has louvers that seem to block stones while allowing air flow. They don't fit because I used the holes for mounting, but something like that might work

signal-2024-04-10-17-22-22-239.jpg

Last edited:

jirwin

Goblin Guru
To tackle one of the problems I used corrugated plastic sheet and made a semi-crude airbox. No difference at all to IAT2. Theres probably more benefit to adding to the heat exchanger loop in both cooling capacity and volume

signal-2024-04-10-20-32-02-426.jpg

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Well, I picked up a 7x16 all aluminum v-nose enclosed trailer yesterday. It'll fit the car and then some. The Tacoma didn't pull it as well as I had hoped, so you might be seeing it under "Other Builds" with a Procharger unless I actually decide to buy a proper tow rig lol.

View attachment 46648
Well, just bought a truck from just south of Fort Worth. Anyone from the Texas crew wanna drive it up here for me? :p

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Fly down to Dallas, stop in and say hi to Lonny and the DF crew in Red Oak, and then drive it home. Sounds like a great road trip to me! :D
I'd love to, but I don't have the time right now. Probably going to end up shipping it. Any recommendations from anyone btw?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Well, just bought a truck from just south of Fort Worth. Anyone from the Texas crew wanna drive it up here for me? :p
Just Dern! I was there a few weeks ago! If this wasn't my garage weeks I'd do it.
But I have only about 6 weeks of Garage time available back here in GA and thus far GOB-BALT only rolls and even that is temporary, welding strut tops in place soon!(I've only had 2 days with it thus far and much time has been consumed with just plain organization!)

Traé

I'd love to, but I don't have the time right now. Probably going to end up shipping it. Any recommendations from anyone btw?
When looking into getting a donor from copart i looked for shipping options. I made a UShip account on my phone and put out a post, you will get a few companies that will give you a quote.

Traé

You will probably get more quotes than you want, and keep getting them for a year.
I think I just deleted the post when I didn't win the auction, or it expired. I don't remember but it is no longer on the app. I got 3-4 quotes all relatively close in price. Western Louisianna to central Ohio for 1,000-1,200 bucks.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Truck arrived Friday night. Its an 03 1500HD with a 6.0 and Quadrasteer. In really good shape for it's age. Basically zero rust, especially by Michigan standards. I plan on camming it, throwing on some headers (because the stock manifolds are leaking :p), and a tune. There will be body modifications, but nothing super crazy. Just cleaning up the old stuff. Might post it in "other builds" if I feel like it.

IMG_20240421_174751.jpg