No crank problem

chief404

I had to do a clutch relearn to get mine to start, But I used a push button start until I and a GOBLIN BROTHER FIGURED IT OUT.
99% him fixing it 1% me
How did you know this was the issue? I'm having a similar issue with OP. The butterfly opens, fuel pump primes but when turning the key the dash goes black and I just hear a clicking. At first I got the lockout display but was able to track that down to some loose grounds.

Also, my OBDII works great and I just get codes for the A/C. It looks like in hptuners I can poll most of the sensors.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don’t think needing a clutch relearn will make the dash go black and things just click. Sounds more like a bad connection/lack of voltage somewhere.

I still have no idea what to do.

the data wires have the 120 ohms of resistance.

we cleaned the grounds (took the powder coating off under the engine mounts and all)

ran the ground from the AC that we took out back to a good ground (it grounds the fuse box)

I can jump the starter and it runs for like 3 seconds and shuts off

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Have you checked the trouble codes? If nothing is popping there that would cause a no start then you will have to get the wiring diagrams for your model and start checking circuits.
We can all make guesses about what might be wrong but without something more concrete it will just be guessing. Start tracing the 12v all of the way through along the path that I started taking you through originally. Or start at the key end and and work your way through

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I have not read through all of the posts so there is a good chance I will be repeating some things you have already answered.

On your OBDII connector is there a green wire in position two?

chief404

Well, turns out that either the purple wire was loose or the starter wire was grounding out. It's a rather large copper lug and easily could short the starter...It started to turn over but got a loud squealing coming from the starter. Assuming the starter is toast and going to try replacing it before trying to turn it over again. I don't have the clutch master cylinder hooked up nor do I have the shifter installed. I know the forks are in the neutral position, so I'm assuming that could cause significant wear to the old starter(148k miles) since the clutch is not disengaged.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Well, turns out that either the purple wire was loose or the starter wire was grounding out. It's a rather large copper lug and easily could short the starter...It started to turn over but got a loud squealing coming from the starter. Assuming the starter is toast and going to try replacing it before trying to turn it over again. I don't have the clutch master cylinder hooked up nor do I have the shifter installed. I know the forks are in the neutral position, so I'm assuming that could cause significant wear to the old starter(148k miles) since the clutch is not disengaged.
Doubtful the starter wire was grounding. If it was that would be followed by sparks, smoke and fire. I doubt that starting in neutral would add much load but at 148k the starter maybe worn. Also inspect the teeth on the flywheel for damage/wear. If you continue to get intermittent start issues, you may have to tighten the individual wire connectors on the fuse box connectors. Taking the plugs loose repeatedly can cause the individual connectors to loosen. I chased this for several weeks.

chief404

Doubtful the starter wire was grounding. If it was that would be followed by sparks, smoke and fire. I doubt that starting in neutral would add much load but at 148k the starter maybe worn. Also inspect the teeth on the flywheel for damage/wear. If you continue to get intermittent start issues, you may have to tighten the individual wire connectors on the fuse box connectors. Taking the plugs loose repeatedly can cause the individual connectors to loosen. I chased this for several weeks.
My main concern was the flywheel getting damaged from a bad starter - I had that happen in past cars and don't want a repeat. I will be replacing the starter tomorrow, double checking all the electrical and will report back.

Keckster

I stopped by and we found that the issue was a ground on C1 pin 61 of Connector 1 on the BCM. They had accidentally cut it.... The new problem is that it is cut flush with the connector so they have to re-pin that spot for a new ground

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Since it’s a ground, You can pull that pin, remove the wire sheathing to expose the wire and solder to that.

to pull the pin (terminal) you have to remove the lock device on the back side, the. You can straighten out a paper clip and use that to unlock the pin.

Dale E

And the ground wire wins again!! I told you, in our private messages, you were very close and would have a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy birthday moment soon. Hope this was one of those moments!

Dale

Keckster stopped over and was a great help. He helped us trace the problem to a GROUND!!!

I don’t know why I would have cut and thinned the ground out of the BCM but we found it and fired her up today!!!!!

thanks for everyone’s help and guidance.