Oil cooler replacement.

Peregrinus

I ordered an oil cooler adapter, and I'm going to do an external oil cooler. I already have the cooler fittings hoses and everything needed. Can I swap the one hose for the coolant tank which comes out of the water manifold upward to one of the old oil cooler coolant lines for easier plumbing next to the fuse box? They are all connected so I assume this would be perfectly fine right?

Getting rid of that cooler in there will free up a ton of space for wiring and stuff to be easier to manage.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Not sure if this applies... some have gone this route, but others do not like the thermostat delete:

Peregrinus

I've seen that, I don't need to do that luckily, the housing itself is fine, eliminating the oil cooler is a whole separate part, I just wanna make sure I can cap the usual port we use and use one of the oil cooler ports for the coolant tank. Which I'm pretty sure will be fine. Just wondering if anyone else has done it

Peregrinus

I looked at the spare water neck section I have. I definitely will be able to use one of the oil cooler lines for a better routed coolant return from the expansion tank. I'll throw up more details and pics when It's all done.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I looked at the spare water neck section I have. I definitely will be able to use one of the oil cooler lines for a better routed coolant return from the expansion tank. I'll throw up more details and pics when It's all done.
Hey! Waiting on those updated pics! I'm about to remove the stock oil cooler for an aftermarket one so that seems like a good time to make that area cleaner.

Peregrinus

Oops, my bad, next time I get over to the storage unit I'll see if I can snag some pictures.

It definitely cleans the entire area up. I'll shoot over there sometime this week or next and snap some pics.

Car is in storage for winter now sadly so I totally forgot.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Oops, my bad, next time I get over to the storage unit I'll see if I can snag some pictures.

It definitely cleans the entire area up. I'll shoot over there sometime this week or next and snap some pics.

Car is in storage for winter now sadly so I totally forgot.
No worries! Thanks for getting pics when you can. Mine's in storage too but that means it's in a buddies heated garage so I'll still be able to work on it over the winter.

Peregrinus

No worries! Thanks for getting pics when you can. Mine's in storage too but that means it's in a buddies heated garage so I'll still be able to work on it over the winter.
Here's the pics, it was hard to get a good angle that showed the space, but it makes a HUGE difference, I can full palm a basketball, huge hands and there is now a ton of room for me to fit my hands there and reach anything. Once I relocate my fuse box, that entire side of the engine bay will be completely empty.

Attachments

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I've been playing with the idea of adding a swirl tank behind the passenger seat in the upper radiator hose in order to eliminate the need for a coolant tank but I haven't come to a conclusion whether it's possible to completely eliminate the tank or not.

SACTX

I did the same thing. Both the oil cooler and the tank but I used a different tank for both the coolant and a small tank/filler for the intercooler.

I have dual oil coolers on each side behind the scoops.

The expansion tank I got wouldn't work with the coolant tank cap so I used the overflow with a pressure regulating valve at 15 psi to pressure the system and not over do it. I started it out as a swirl tank/overflow (non pressurized) only but I changed it after some talks with Russell and Jason.

Like this, my coolant temps never even get above the 160s while driving in 70-80 degree weather.

Attachments

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Here's the pics, it was hard to get a good angle that showed the space, but it makes a HUGE difference, I can full palm a basketball, huge hands and there is now a ton of room for me to fit my hands there and reach anything. Once I relocate my fuse box, that entire side of the engine bay will be completely empty.
I am about to install my oil cooler. The (2) coolant lines from the thermostat to the factory oil cooler did you just loop these at the thermostat since I am assuming the new cooler is air cooled?

devianteng

I am about to install my oil cooler. The (2) coolant lines from the thermostat to the factory oil cooler did you just loop these at the thermostat since I am assuming the new cooler is air cooled?
That's exactly what I did, just looped them like you do the heater hose connections.

Dale E

I've been playing with the idea of adding a swirl tank behind the passenger seat in the upper radiator hose in order to eliminate the need for a coolant tank but I haven't come to a conclusion whether it's possible to completely eliminate the tank or not.
Yes, you can make one or buy one that will serve the purpose you want. Mount with the top of tank probably about the chassis cross tube behind the seats where the stock plastic one bolts to. run your engine hose to the top port and the lower port to the hose for radiator. That should give you about a 2 or 3 inch air space in swirl tank. Send a small hose to an overflow tank which can be mounted lower.

Look for images on the web. The old Lotus Europa from the 60-70's would do what you want to do.

Tinkles

I have been struggling about where to put my radiator overflow tank. Right behind the seats seem like to most convenient, but in the even of it overheating and blowing the cap you will have a very bad day. That scares me enough to not want to used that location. Just some food for thought.