Rear Brake Caliper Install

Adam in CLE

Hi All,

Trying to get the rear brakes installed and could use some pictures for an 09 TC car in many angles. Also could use help on which bolts to use. There are 8 in the kit with 4 washers but not sure where everything goes. I have scoured the forum and google and still don't have what I am looking for to get started. The aluminum bracket isn't sitting flush on the knuckle either. I hate puzzles and this is becoming one. Thanks for the help in advance.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Ah, ok. I was looking for photos as that was the OP. Just lots of photos of the rear brakes, from different angles would be great.

Adam in CLE

Ok. When I have it done I will send some through the process. When I have time I will also send some I've found on the forum.

Adam in CLE

Thanks. That seemed high to me based on the aluminum knuckle and aluminum spacer that DF provides. I am leary as I don't want to crack the knuckle.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
@Robinjo he was referring to the torque specs I was asking for. What questions on the brakes to you have?

Thx comegetjoe. I have that thread but didn't see the spec needed. See picture and let me know if I missed it.
If you're having interference between the brake rotor and the caliper bracket, place a washer between the knuckle and the mounting adapter for the capliper bracket. I've seen this issue come up for a lot of folks who threw out the backing plates that go between the wheel hub and the knuckle when stripping the donor.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
When installing the calipers make sure they are on the correct side of the car, the bleeder valve needs to be at the top of the caliper when correctly installed, ask me how know :mad: air does not like to travel downward.

Adam in CLE

If you're having interference between the brake rotor and the caliper bracket, place a washer between the knuckle and the mounting adapter for the capliper bracket. I've seen this issue come up for a lot of folks who threw out the backing plates that go between the wheel hub and the knuckle when stripping the donor.
Thanks. Fortunately I am not having that issue but I haven't tightened everything down yet.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I had to add a washer even with the backing plates.

Adam in CLE

Ah, ok. I was looking for photos as that was the OP. Just lots of photos of the rear brakes, from different angles would be great.
Pass rear brake. Let me know if there is something else you need but don't see.

Attachments

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Excellent, thank you! Just one question, and it may just be because I haven't gotten this far yet. What is the thing between the black bracket and the Caliper bracket (red)? I highlighted it in yellow on my snippet.
1659702170693.png

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Excellent, thank you! Just one question, and it may just be because I haven't gotten this far yet. What is the thing between the black bracket and the Caliper bracket (red)? I highlighted it in yellow on my snippet.
View attachment 34765
Looks like just the knuckle casting to me and possible a very thin shim to push the inner side of the caliper away from the disc. Look at his last picture with it circled in blue.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Looks like just the knuckle casting to me and possible a very thin shim to push the inner side of the caliper away from the disc. Look at his last picture with it circled in blue.
It could be, after looking closer at that photo it does just seem to be the knuckle.