Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

Jr Green

Greetings fellow Texans,

In the TX-DMV Assembled & Reconstructed Vehicle Manual
4.1 Application for Title and Supporting Documentation

The state is asking for a vehicle inspection report which is separate from the ASE inspection. Is this just a typical state inspection? If so, how is this inspection obtained without a title/insurance? Feels like a chicken/egg sort of problem. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Yes you will need to go to the corner inspection station. That is how your info gets put into the state computer system.

You should be able to obtain insurance prior to going to the inspection.

Jr Where are you located?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep. Get a ASE master to inspect the car using the proper paperwork. You’ll need to also get a copy of his certification for proof of masters. Then go to any inspection station (usually the same place) to get a state inspection. You’ll need insurance that can be issued without any title work.

I insured mine well before any of these inspections.

Brett

Below is the "official" internal checklist used by the DMV in Texas for Assembled Vehicle - Kit registration.

Depending on the person at the DMV your mileage may vary. If you get a stickler for following checklist, as of 8/2022, this is the list they will be following.

Ignore the handwritten checks. That was from the DMV person going down the checklist.

Attachments

Yes you will need to go to the corner inspection station. That is how your info gets put into the state computer system.

You should be able to obtain insurance prior to going to the inspection.

Jr Where are you located?
For this inspection, do all CEL lights need to be off, or is it simply to enter in the system?

Devonrex

For this inspection, do all CEL lights need to be off, or is it simply to enter in the system?
It is a full inspection, including emissions if that is required in your county. I am in Harris, so I had to install all the emissions and have them in the 'Ready' state.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
the CEL doesn’t matter as there’s no emissions testing they don’t ever plug in. At least that’s my understanding. They didn’t care mine was on.

It is a full inspection, including emissions if that is required in your county. I am in Harris, so I had to install all the emissions and have them in the 'Ready' state.
the CEL doesn’t matter as there’s no emissions testing they don’t ever plug in. At least that’s my understanding. They didn’t care mine was on.
lol I guess I'll bounce around inspection stations until I find the one guy thats more interested in the car than the Christmas tree in the dash.
:D

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
lol I guess I'll bounce around inspection stations until I find the one guy thats more interested in the car than the Christmas tree in the dash.
:D
Justin is right. I think.
I live in an emission county (Harris), so they hook up to the OBD port. Any faults would show up. Some may even do a visual inspection to look for Evap and such. Hope you are able to find a "good" place.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
As others said, if you are in an emission county, everything has to be hooked up and functional. No CEL and no red brake light on at all times. The brake light does have to work with the park brake though. I covered all my unneeded lights, and added a red brake light that comes on with the park brake.

this is “by the book” for an inspection. Your results may vary per inspector.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Texas ASVE registration is exempt from emissions testing. Doesn’t matter what the county requires.
It’s not at all surprising your local guy may not know this.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That got changed after about the first year. This is from the state inspection manual, in Harris county (an emissions county)
16AA78C3-E688-4019-AEA6-DB61B7938A39.jpeg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Another note, when you take pictures for the .gov for your title work, make sure you have your body work on so it’s not mistaken for a dune buggy. That goofs things up too.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Just to add to the confusion, My inspection guy stated that new cars even newly built cars only need safety inspection only. Emissions are only required on year 2. That is why new cars get a tag that expires two years out. After that, emissions that are hooked up to the OBDII port are required. My first registration and title process was with a safety only inspection and it went through just fine. After a year of driving, I finally had a CAT monitor run that passed, so I went to the inspection place before anything happened that forced me to clear the system. I asked for the emission check and he said it was not required yet. Had it done anyway just in case, passed, and the monitor checked again on the way home and failed before I got home.

Grated when I went in for the safety inspection I had no check engine like lit but they should not hook it up to the computer.

Short story, try the safety only and go from there. At least it should buy you a year to figure the rest out.

Joe

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Oh and be sure the inspection is for the assembled vehicle goblin with the goblin vin with no reference to the donor Cobalt. I did have to get it re-inspected as the inspection place didn't know how to enter it and insurance started the policy as a cobalt.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That is correct, an emission inspection is 2 though 24 years. Most of us got away with safety only on the first one, but some were asked to get an emission inspection. The only thing consistent about the process is the inconsistency.