Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
American modern covers mine in Texas. Off hand I think it’s $500 for the year? Full coverage $20k total loss

Jcasson

Question for y'all in Texas, when doing the registration process I need an approval letter from a Regional Service Center. Did anyone need to get this and which center did you call?
I went to the San Antonio office and I got rejected due to the goblin not “looking like any vehicle on their list”

Desert Sasqwatch

Bigfoot Goblin
Put the body panels and hood on it (especially an engine cover and fenders) and tell them it's a Lotus Seven replica - circa 1966 (no emissions requirements before 1967 in ANY state).

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Question for y'all in Texas, when doing the registration process I need an approval letter from a Regional Service Center. Did anyone need to get this and which center did you call?
I went to the San Antonio office and I got rejected due to the goblin not “looking like any vehicle on their list”
All of us here in Houston visited the office in NW Houston on 290. The person that was there for years retired, so I have no name to point you towards.

Brett

Be sure to follow the assembled vehicle document they put out. Also, reference the checklist I previously posted.

Jr Green

I was recently rejected by the San Antonio office as well despite having all the paperwork in order. First they said “sand rail”. Showed them the Texas Motor Vehicle Code definition of a sand rail and why it wasn’t applicable. Gave them several examples of other already licensed Texas Goblins. They claimed they forwarded the paperwork up to Austin and were told it was a “stripped down vehicle”. Pretty bummed, not sure which way to go from here.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It’s an “assembled vehicle”. They have approved probably 20-30 goblins in Texas already.

if you want to bypass them, go the Montana route.

Brett

I would go to this link:

Schedule an appointment. Make sure when you get there to indicate you are getting a title for an assembled vehicle. Not all agents know the process, ask for a senior agent. This process was a pain and I spent in excess of 8 hours at the regional service center getting it all taken care of.

If they push you away, politely ask to speak with a more senior person.

Other than that, I don't now what to say.

Jcasson

I would go to this link:

Schedule an appointment. Make sure when you get there to indicate you are getting a title for an assembled vehicle. Not all agents know the process, ask for a senior agent. This process was a pain and I spent in excess of 8 hours at the regional service center getting it all taken care of.

If they push you away, politely ask to speak with a more senior person.

Other than that, I don't now what to say.
Yeah I did that and it was taken to the manager at the center which denied it as well. I’ll keep trying lol

Jcasson

I was recently rejected by the San Antonio office as well despite having all the paperwork in order. First they said “sand rail”. Showed them the Texas Motor Vehicle Code definition of a sand rail and why it wasn’t applicable. Gave them several examples of other already licensed Texas Goblins. They claimed they forwarded the paperwork up to Austin and were told it was a “stripped down vehicle”. Pretty bummed, not sure which way to go from here.
I’ll keep trying and see if I get anywhere and I’ll let you know. If you find a way let me know

Joebob

Goblin Guru
This is where you are going to have to dig into the law and very carefully educate them on the law and your rights.

• First off your pictures should be with full body. You don't want to look like a sand rail.
  • Second you can take more pictures at the same angle as a Lotus 7 classic car that highlights the similarities (see below)
  • learn the law. Look at transportation code Title 43 part 10 chapter 217 subchapter L rule 217.403 (c). basically, if it fits the rules of an assembled vehicle then they HAVE to give you a title. Then you have to present that you fit the assembled vehicle requirements of code 731.051 (b) and 731.001.
  • Start reading, printing and highlighting the law and walk them through it. I was ready but never had to do this. Sounds like you might.
  • Build a sandrail defense argument. Weight, size, lights, mirrors, above 1700 lbs GVW, ROAD USE ONLY!. I even printed out a bunch of pictures of the Factory 5 818 car under build to explain that if you squinted, it could fall under most the descriptions of a sand rail (tube chassis rear engine). It is obviously not a sand rail.
  • Stay helpful and courteous. These people are not known for sticking their neck out and taking a risk. Show them that by following the law, they are doing what they are supposed to do and the law protects their decision.

FF5 818 go cart stage

Joebob

Goblin Guru
My past review of a stripped down vehicle is if you kept the Cobalt VIN and were trying to register it as a Cobalt. You have a new VIN with a new Chassis and therefore an assembled vehicle. This provision was to keep the "death carts" off the road.

I mean...dude doesn't even have an air filter. :rolleyes:

Jcasson

This is where you are going to have to dig into the law and very carefully educate them on the law and your rights.

• First off your pictures should be with full body. You don't want to look like a sand rail.
  • Second you can take more pictures at the same angle as a Lotus 7 classic car that highlights the similarities (see below)
  • learn the law. Look at transportation code Title 43 part 10 chapter 217 subchapter L rule 217.403 (c). basically, if it fits the rules of an assembled vehicle then they HAVE to give you a title. Then you have to present that you fit the assembled vehicle requirements of code 731.051 (b) and 731.001.
  • Start reading, printing and highlighting the law and walk them through it. I was ready but never had to do this. Sounds like you might.
  • Build a sandrail defense argument. Weight, size, lights, mirrors, above 1700 lbs GVW, ROAD USE ONLY!. I even printed out a bunch of pictures of the Factory 5 818 car under build to explain that if you squinted, it could fall under most the descriptions of a sand rail (tube chassis rear engine). It is obviously not a sand rail.
  • Stay helpful and courteous. These people are not known for sticking their neck out and taking a risk. Show them that by following the law, they are doing what they are supposed to do and the law protects their decision.
View attachment 47626View attachment 47627
View attachment 47628

FF5 818 go cart stage
View attachment 47629

View attachment 47630
These are the pictures I took with me.

Attachments