Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

aaronbuley

More progress has been made, I can for the first time say we are genuinely close to wrapping this up. The DMV board opened up the new rules to comments, we (assembled vehicle coalition) wrote out our questions and concerns which were accepted into the record at the February board meeting.

basically the short of it is kit cars will follow form VTR-64 which is a pretty relaxed safety inspection. We do not yet know if it will be a one time inspection or if they will also be subject to standard annual safety inspections. It was our recommendation that each new registration (each new owner) be required to get the enhanced inspection but that assembled vehicles be exempt from annuals.
Windshield wipers, huh? :(

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
According to the form, it still has to pass annual state inspection. If it goes off the year of the engine, all emission equipment will need to be in place and CEL off (and functional). If it’s safety only due to being a kit car, we would be fine. It needs to be clarified though.

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I still remember the highway patrol lady telling me when I was doing inspection.. "If you don't want a windshield that's fine. But if a rock hits you in the face don't come crying to me"

Nuker-
sounds weird, but I plan to wear a full face helmet when driving the goblin. I’ll have communication in them so we can talk and listen to music.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
sounds weird, but I plan to wear a full face helmet when driving the goblin. I’ll have communication in them so we can talk and listen to music.
That is exactly what my son and I do most of the time other than just trips around town. It’s actually quite comfortable in good weather. Also cuts down on wind noise on your ears. You wouldn’t think so, but the volume level of the wind noise on bare ears is actually quite high. I’ve had trips where my ears were ringing afterwords.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That is exactly what my son and I do most of the time other than just trips around town. It’s actually quite comfortable in good weather. Also cuts down on wind noise on your ears. You wouldn’t think so, but the volume level of the wind noise on bare ears is actually quite high. I’ve had trips where my ears were ringing afterwords.
I hear ya (no pun intended). I ride motorcycles and I never ride without a helmet, so the transition should work out well, even though I know it’s not needed. Hell, when we drive in the Jeep without the top or doors, it feels weird to not have a helmet on, I’m just use to them when traveling in the open and the reduction in noise will be great.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
According to the form, it still has to pass annual state inspection. If it goes off the year of the engine, all emission equipment will need to be in place and CEL off (and functional). If it’s safety only due to being a kit car, we would be fine. It needs to be clarified though.
This is where it gets a little complicated. Texas can’t say you don’t have to follow the federal laws, but they can choose rather or not to enforce them, and they won’t. We specifically asked if airbags would be required as they are required in federal law and were told in a round about way that they were not inspecting for that.

so I guess if you get pulled over by the FBI you might be in trouble...?

Rabid Sloth Racing

FBI? In their slow, blacked out Suburbans? No way they're catching us.

But seriously, I'm stoked to see DMV is almost done on their end just as I'll be finishing my build. Thanks for all the time and headaches Justin.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Haha the SUVs might not catch you.... But remember that lead down range always has the right away :D

Nuker-

FBI? In their slow, blacked out Suburbans? No way they're catching us.

But seriously, I'm stoked to see DMV is almost done on their end just as I'll be finishing my build. Thanks for all the time and headaches Justin.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
This is where it gets a little complicated. Texas can’t say you don’t have to follow the federal laws, but they can choose rather or not to enforce them, and they won’t. We specifically asked if airbags would be required as they are required in federal law and were told in a round about way that they were not inspecting for that.

so I guess if you get pulled over by the FBI you might be in trouble...?
I know it’s going to be a tricky grey area, that will never really be enforced, but I like to be prepared.

The funny part is, just because all new vehicles are required to have air bags, they can’t do anything to me if I disable them and they are not required to work to get a state inspection. This is the same for ABS too. Now, emission devices are a different story.

terryjr

well thats a huge unknown. What are current federal safety laws, will they need things like stability control etc that was put into effect a few years ago?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
well thats a huge unknown. What are current federal safety laws, will they need things like stability control etc that was put into effect a few years ago?
I see what the wording says, but this is a “kit car” which is built at home in very small numbers. Usually this means that all the big boy laws are not required (abs, sir, tc, etc), but I just want to make sure to get as much is on paper as possible, so we don’t get screwed in the long run.

thanks to all those working closely with lawyers and such to get this hashed out.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
HAHA not in PA. just got an inspection bulletin about a month ago on this :mad:
I’m surprised it hasn’t changed here. The Texas state inspection manual contradicts itself. One part says you cannot remove or disable emission control devices, and another part says a turbo can pass as a muffler. Just like you have to have windshield wipers, but are not required to have a windshield.