Towerdog's Indiana Street Goblin Build (#250) 07 SS/SC Donor

Fozda

Goblin Guru
In my experience valve cover bolts are usually torqued to like 6 ft-lbs. You sure it doesn't say 71 in-lbs?

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Alldata says 89 in-lbs for the LSJ valve cover. Throw the Haynes manual away and get an ALLDATAdiy subscription.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Yea totally a type o for sure, It also lists specs in Nm where the crankshaft pulley is 74 Ft lbs - 100 Nm and the valve cover is 71 Ft lbs - 9 Nm.
Think I will stick with the 89 in lbs. Thanks guy for looking that up.

baustin

Does anyone put a dab of RTV in the sharp corners on the valve cover along with the gasket?
I tried this with the first replacement gasket I was using due to slight seepage, didn't help. Tried to reseat it multiple times, still leaked. I ordered another replacement gasket from ZZP and it worked perfect with no RTV. The first gasket was Fel-Pro, second was ZZP; first was fairly stiff but to an untrained hand felt like a decent gasket, second felt softer and more flexible/gummy.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I tried this with the first replacement gasket I was using due to slight seepage, didn't help. Tried to reseat it multiple times, still leaked. I ordered another replacement gasket from ZZP and it worked perfect with no RTV. The first gasket was Fel-Pro, second was ZZP; first was fairly stiff but to an untrained hand felt like a decent gasket, second felt softer and more flexible/gummy.
Hmm... I went with a Mahle Brand over the ZZP as I wanted to replace the grommets also. I have not used there product's before but that was the only brand I could get the supercharger gasket in.

I have learned the hard way about cheap gaskets... Years ago my ex took her Camry to get the oil changed.... They drained the oil and put a new filter on. That little four banger ran for a month before she blew! Anyway I bought a rock auto master rebuild kit... Cheapest one of course, besides most of the gaskets being incorrect the valve cover gasket was molded in mirror!

baustin

Hmm... I went with a Mahle Brand over the ZZP as I wanted to replace the grommets also. I have not used there product's before but that was the only brand I could get the supercharger gasket in.
Same reason for me with the Fel-Pro, I wanted the screw grommets as well and when I ordered it was available and cheaper I think. I don't know what exactly was on the engine when I bought it, might have been OEM but probably was aftermarket but at an unknown age and seeping a tiny amount I figured it wouldn't hurt to replace. Oh well, the work to reseal/replace the gasket multiple times was good experience.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Well this week has been a juggling show of "work" cleaning. Painting, cleaning and today help a buddy clean his whole burnt out shop out that caught fire on wensday. I caint imagine having that happen. Not totally thrilled about how my engine is turning out but it is a sight better than what I started with... waiting on gaskets to show up to get it put back together.... will post pics when it is done.

Goblin Graber

At least if you decide you’re not happy with how the engine is turning out at least you’ve done all the hard work. It’ll be easy to shoot it another color now.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
At least if you decide you’re not happy with how the engine is turning out at least you’ve done all the hard work. It’ll be easy to shoot it another color now.
Well I doubt I'll do that... not a big fan of red... but it is a GM color, and red stiched seats and steering wheels are easy to come by. Part of it is casting flaws in the valve cover and SC but I don't know if it is worth blocking and grinding them all out.
I'll just have to make something POP somewhere else to keep eyes off them lol.

I dont have a theme or have even settled on the final colors yet like you have. But have decided to keep the engine stock till I get used to driving it. Next winter will be for upgrades.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Well my engine re-assembly has been on hold since Friday as I am on day 12 waiting for parts from Rock Auto...
So I started on my wiring harness Monday night and this is what I have learned so far:

1- In the videos he shows' to tie knots in wires,,,, Well you end up with a lot of knots but still need to know what each knotted wire is so I labeled each wire that was cut.

2- There are times in the videos that he refers to wires by color and not what they were to. For instance the "Light blue" wire that needs to point forward of the fuse box in the wire bundle. I scratch my head for two hours going back in the videos looking for the light blue wire,, I had a light blue 3rd brake light wire but that did not make sense to me because it was not mentioned anywhere else. I had saved it in case I wanted a 3rd brake light. Fast forward one or two videos and the "light blue" wire is referred to the 3rd brake light wire used to make the cruise work.

3- I'm currently stuck! In Wiring Harness Guide Part 6 - Organizing the Main Harness, Pt. 3 @ 1:25 he mentions "fuse block ground" Is that one of the four ground wires or am I missing something?

Goblin Graber

Well my engine re-assembly has been on hold since Friday as I am on day 12 waiting for parts from Rock Auto...
So I started on my wiring harness Monday night and this is what I have learned so far:

1- In the videos he shows' to tie knots in wires,,,, Well you end up with a lot of knots but still need to know what each knotted wire is so I labeled each wire that was cut.

2- There are times in the videos that he refers to wires by color and not what they were to. For instance the "Light blue" wire that needs to point forward of the fuse box in the wire bundle. I scratch my head for two hours going back in the videos looking for the light blue wire,, I had a light blue 3rd brake light wire but that did not make sense to me because it was not mentioned anywhere else. I had saved it in case I wanted a 3rd brake light. Fast forward one or two videos and the "light blue" wire is referred to the 3rd brake light wire used to make the cruise work.

3- I'm currently stuck! In Wiring Harness Guide Part 6 - Organizing the Main Harness, Pt. 3 @ 1:25 he mentions "fuse block ground" Is that one of the four ground wires or am I missing something?
The fuse box ground he is referring to is a black wire coming from the tan fuse box plug.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
The fuse box ground he is referring to is a black wire coming from the tan fuse box plug.
Describe "Tan". The rectangle or the square? The rectangle has no blacks in it the square has a thick black with a ground lug that is taped separately.

Thanks

Goblin Graber

Describe "Tan". The rectangle or the square? The rectangle has no blacks in it the square has a thick black with a ground lug that is taped separately.

Thanks
The square one. It was pin B2 on my base model, but it should be a thick black wire in F2 on an SS.

Attachments

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Ok that thick black wire goes to the ground lug (taped separately) but there are four smaller wires that you solder 48" extensions on... So I assume it is one of those? DF Goblin Wiring Harness Guide Part 5 - Organizing the Main Harness, Pt. 2 5:40