TravMac's Extended Track Goblin (#253) - 2007 SS/SC Doner

TravMac

Hello Everyone!

I'm excited to start this build log after submitting my kit order last week! Personally, it has been two years in the making to reach this point. I've read nearly every post on this forum and even asked some questions along the way. I'm glad to finally be taking this big step. I had a post a while ago about my background and build ideas, so figure I should start off with a recap.

I'm an engineering gearhead living in Clinton Township, Michigan. I'll be spending most of my time building the kit with friends/family in the Midland, Michigan area. If you're in either area, feel free to say hi! My main goal is to have a competent track/autocross car that I can drive around town on a nice day. This project not only gives me the chance to accomplish those goals, but to also add in my own creativity as the build progresses. I see tons of creative people here every day, and am glad to be part of such a great community.

I'll be building an extended track goblin - chassis 253 - out of my 2007 Cobalt SS/SC doner. The car runs and drives well with over 190,000 miles on the odometer. I have had the car for over a year, replacing a few needed parts to keep it driving around. Nothing special about it - plenty of wear and tear on the body from its time on rust belt roads. Now it's time it shed that rusty weight!

Here's a pic from its good side...

As a side note, one of my previous coworkers had just finished and registered his Exocet. He is actually running a NA Ecotec engine, but I'm not sure which variant. All I know is it's fast, fun, and sure to be good competition for me in the Goblin. Him and I are looking forward to putting both cars through their paces against each other.

Having just ordered the kit, I have a few weeks to go before much else happens. A friend and I may actually outfit the doner to drive down and pick up the kit from Texas. Would make for an interesting start to the journey, don't you think? This build log should help document the journey along the way to a finished vehicle (and beyond). Hopefully some of you enjoy the show! Hope to talk to you all soon!

TravMac

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I was told that as long as it is not used to carry anything it is not considered a trailer and does not require a tag. Just like pulling a log splitter.

It has made quite a few trips all over the US and was never questioned.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
It splits in the middle between the tires so it will fit in the trunk of the cobalt on the return trip.
If someone wanted to use it is here at the shop, they would just need to pay for shipping it back to us which might be expensive.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Hello Everyone!

I'm excited to start this build log after submitting my kit order last week! Personally, it has been two years in the making to reach this point. I've read nearly every post on this forum and even asked some questions along the way. I'm glad to finally be taking this big step. I had a post a while ago about my background and build ideas, so figure I should start off with a recap.

I'm an engineering gearhead living in Clinton Township, Michigan. I'll be spending most of my time building the kit with friends/family in the Midland, Michigan area. If you're in either area, feel free to say hi! My main goal is to have a competent track/autocross car that I can drive around town on a nice day. This project not only gives me the chance to accomplish those goals, but to also add in my own creativity as the build progresses. I see tons of creative people here every day, and am glad to be part of such a great community.

I'll be building an extended track goblin - chassis 253 - out of my 2007 Cobalt SS/SC doner. The car runs and drives well with over 190,000 miles on the odometer. I have had the car for over a year, replacing a few needed parts to keep it driving around. Nothing special about it - plenty of wear and tear on the body from its time on rust belt roads. Now it's time it shed that rusty weight!

Here's a pic from its good side...
View attachment 18447

As a side note, one of my previous coworkers had just finished and registered his Exocet. He is actually running a NA Ecotec engine, but I'm not sure which variant. All I know is it's fast, fun, and sure to be good competition for me in the Goblin. Him and I are looking forward to putting both cars through their paces against each other.

Having just ordered the kit, I have a few weeks to go before much else happens. A friend and I may actually outfit the doner to drive down and pick up the kit from Texas. Would make for an interesting start to the journey, don't you think? This build log should help document the journey along the way to a finished vehicle (and beyond). Hopefully some of you enjoy the show! Hope to talk to you all soon!

TravMac
Im in Troy Michigan. I hope to be ordering my kit in the next 2 month. Funny enough my brother-in-law built a Exovet with 2 of his friends. I’ll be following your build in hopes I’ll be right behind you

TravMac

Did some work to the doner/candidate for tow vehicle over the last few days. Quick fluids change, hammered out a fender that needed some clearance, and added a reese hitch to the rear in hopes of supporting a u-haul trailer (reuse for goblin hitch parts?). Not sure the size of trailer I need in order to fit the frame... Does anyone have good dimensions of an extended track frame from nose to tail, under tray to roll hoop, and overall width? The current plan is rent a trailer that would fit the frame and do a test run around town with some things that need moved. Then it should good to make a cross country trip right? If not, default to the suburban... although it just lost the trans last night... so going to need that fixed asap. Here's some pictures of the little changes. Also a backup snowmobile trailer that I might borrow for the trip... if my u-haul idea doesn't work out (it's really wide and bounces down the road a bit too much when empty so not ideal).

PXL_20201219_163334386.jpgPXL_20201219_163325929.jpgPXL_20201222_205238774.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
The Goblin specs are on the website.
The frame will be slightly smaller than the car specs, as the front 12" is a removable piece, and the frame sits off the ground 5".

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Bare frame overall length is right at 10.5 feet (124 inches). Keep in mind the tow vehicle rating, not the hitch capacity, will determine what size/type trailer someone will rent to you to go pick up your kit. I'm pretty sure a Cobalt tow rating (if it has one) is probably 1500lbs at most.

TravMac

Perfect! I wasn't sure if those were completed kit or bare frame. And the reminder for the tow rating is good as well. According to u-haul's website, I have availability to tow the trailers I had in mind... but the real test will be a rental for around town to see how the car acts with weight behind it. I'd hate to make a trip all the way to Texas with something that is too squirrely.

Speaking of weight, does anyone know the kit contents weight? I'm most curious about the bare frame itself, but knowing how much the boxes of parts will weigh me down is good reference as well! I've made some guesses for planning, but figure why not ask the experts.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Frame is about 200 lbs and the rest of the stages for a TC are probably another 250 lbs with all the packaging. This is just my guesstimate, Adam or Lonny may be able to give you a more exact figure.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Keep in mind, U-Haul is very particular and wont rent to you without proper safety chain hookups and trailer lights.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I was going to go get mine #250 but after doing the math it is way cheaper to have it shipped. The sales tax difference between TX and IN is about $300 by itself.
But... Picking up the kit with the donor is pretty cool...

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I was offered a delivery split cost on 3 other kits for stage 1. I opted to drive instead. 3 days. It was middle of wintertime; below freezing. 11mpg. Traffic sucked; cars were spinning out on the ice.

Totally worth it to me though to see the shop and meet Lonny & Adam in person. Hard to explain, but I got a much more overall creative perspective on my build.