Williamj95 Build

williamj95

Basic Engine Prep Video Question

So it's been a while since I've made a post here. I got my kit car from DF. I have build number 320. I've been working on my Goblin, building it from the new build videos that DF has been posting. I'm on the Basic Engine Prep video and I have a question for you gurus out there. In the video, they tell you to cut a vacuum hose and attach the nylon hose provided in the kit to it. Here is a picture from the video showing the hose they are referring to.

Here is a picture of my engine taken from roughly the same angle.

You can see that my engine is different and I don't have that vacuum hose. There is no hose similar to it anywhere on my engine. I do have that small hose tagged as Evap that is roughly in the same location. Is this the same thing as the vacuum hose on their engine? Should I attach the nylon hose in the kit to this Evap port?

A second question I have is for the DF folks. Hopefully they read these post. As I said I have been following along with the new build videos, which are excellent by the way. Very detailed and easy to follow. Thing is, I'm almost caught up with the videos that have been posted. From what I can tell there hasn't been a new video in at least six weeks. When should we expect you all to start posting video again?

Thanks in advance for you all's help.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The new videos examples the LNF TC engine. The old videos example the NA, which appears to be the engine in your photo. Look back into the old videos to see if the hose cutting step is there. Another good source of information is the Helpful Photos album that Adam posted a while ago, it may be in there.

williamj95

Nate,

I had to go back to the demo videos to figure out what that nipple was connected to. In video 4 it tells you to disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose from that nipple. Looking at my brake booster, there is a matching nipple on it. Is this the hose I need to extend with the hose in the kit? That hose in the kit is long enough to reach from the engine in the rear to the brake booster in the front.

williamj95

Positive Cable Question

I’m getting ready to install the sub frame on my Goblin and I was looking at the loose wires hanging off my engine. I noticed a roughly four foot cable that I had tagged as “positive”. Tracing it back I found that it’s connected to the same stud on the starter that the “Installing the Positive Cable” has you install the revised battery cable too. In that video, you can clearly see that they left this four foot cable connected to the starter.

It’s impossible to get to the starter with the motor connected to the frame, but right now it won’t be a ton of work to remove the motor to remove this cable. Latter on, it would be a must larger job. I guess I was just hoping one of you gurus could confirm whether or not that four foot positive cable should remain connected to the starter or not. In my brain, it seems as though the revised positive cable I made should be replacing this cable.

Please let me know. Thanks.

williamj95

I couldn't think what it would be used for, but that makes sense. I forgot about the fuse box. Thanks for the quick reply.

williamj95

BCM Power Question

Need some help folks. I'm as the point in video 21 where it says to connect the BCM power to this cable.

View attachment 34198

I currently do not have a cable laying in the front of my Goblin to connect to this. I found a photo on the forum that looked like the cable that is supposed to connect to this comes out of that large red fuse that is mounted to the side of the battery tray. For me the wires coming out of that fuse connect to the BCM at this location

Attachments

williamj95

BCM Power Question take 2.

Looks like my last post got messed up somehow. Hopefully you all can see the two pictures attached to it. My issue is that I currently don't have a BCM power cable to plug into the connector coming off the positive battery cable. What I was trying to say in my last post is that I found a picture on the forum that looked like the BCM power cable was the cable coming off the large red fuse. Currently I have the wires coming off that fuse going to the BCM (shown in one picture) and the fuse box (shown in the other picture). Can someone tell me if that is wired correctly or not? If the fuse is wired correctly, which wire coming off the BCM is supposed to run to the positive battery cable? If I knew what wire it is, I can try tracing it back.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
main power to bcm runs from fusebox connector X4 C1 to X3 D12 on the bcm.

You need to update your signature with your donor so we don’t have to read back through your build log to know what to look for.

Attachments

williamj95

Sorry Gtstorey, I didn't realize I needed to re-post that info. For anyone else looking at this, I have a 2009 Cobalt LS with auto trans. Given the info you provided here, I do have a red wire with a white stripe connecting those two ports on the BCM and the fusebox, so I think I good with that. What got me going on this is in video 21 it says to connect the BCM power cable to this connector on the positive battery cable.

BCM Power.JPG

I clearly have the connector at the battery, but I don't have a matching cable coming off the BCM with a loose connector on it. Is this maybe for an older model Cobalt? Can I ignore this? When I was trying to look this up on the forum, I saw a number of post about troubles with the first start and folks saying to make sure the BCM power cable is connected. I just want to make sure I'm not missing a crucial step here. Out of curiosity, what book did you get all this info out of? I have the Chilton Cobalt book, but this info is definitely not in there.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I have the factory service manual that cover the later models. It’s pushing 2 years since I did the wiring harness so I don’t remember the particular details of the videos. After reviewing the wiring diagram, There is another feed to the bcm that’s fed of of a 50amp inline fuse off of the battery.

Attachments

williamj95

Gtstorey, the wire coming out of the D1 plug on my BCM, a thick red wire with a black stripe, is running to the that 50 amp fuse. Based on the diagram you provided, it sure looks like the wire coming out of the fuse should connect to the connector on the battery. However, I currently have that wire running back to the fuse box and connecting here:

Fuse Box (2).JPG

There is no plug beneath this. Does your book tell you what this connector in the fuse box should be running too?

Chris_WNC

I used the same donor. I’ll be following to see if I can help any. Out of town until next weekend though.

I keep thinking that position in the fuse box is for the power steering. I’ll look through the pictures on my phone to see if I can figure anything out.

CHRIS

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Yes X6 plug (labeled on the picture I posted of the fuse box connectors) is electric power steering feed coming off the 60amp fuse beside it in the fuse box.

Attachments

williamj95

Ok guys, I think I'm making some sense out of this. When Chris said power steering that jogged my memory. I remember that plug was for power steering. I just traced the thick red wire with a black stripe coming off my power steering unit back to the fuse box and I currently have it connected to the B-1 spot on this fuse block.

Image 2.jpg

So it looks like I need to move that wire from the B-1 connection here to the power steering connector and move the wire I have going to the power steering connector to the positive battery cable. The remaining question is, should there be something else connected to the B-1 spot on this connector or should it have just been cut free?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
X4-B1 is feeding the electronic brake controller so not used. It’s fed from the 40amp abs fuse so it might carry the eps load if you want to leave it there. But it might be a little to much amperage and blow the fuse.

Attachments

williamj95

So it's not used. Perfect. I definitely had a couple wires crossed, but I think I have it figured out now with your help. Thank you so much.