Search results

1. ctuinstra

New DF Shifter Review

I finally got around to installing the new DF Shifter, just in time for the October meet up. I took the car our tonight to test it and my adjustments. Wow! I really love this thing. Sitting in the garage, you can tell it feels a little bit better, but on the road is where you really notice...
  2. ctuinstra

End the Throttle Bounce

We have always had a bit of throttle bounce that ends up in a vicious cycle of ON-OFF surging. Typically, it seem like it gets started (but not always) from a little bounce in the foot where you abruptly press the pedal and then quickly let off. The car then surges forward some and then back...
  3. ctuinstra

I've seen this somewhere before...

Seems so familiar. Lol.
  4. ctuinstra

Justin Back at it

5. ctuinstra

New Catch Can

If you are not familiar with a catch can, they "catch" all of the suspended oil in the crankcase and valve cover venting. Typically they are vented into the intake so it can be burned, however, the oily air can clog up the intake intercooler laminova tubes and cake the back of the valves in...
  6. ctuinstra

Free Dash Button Panel

I have a button panel that we printed that the surface didn't come out as well as it could have so I'm giving it away for free if you pay for actual shipping costs. The finish isn't terrible, it just could have been better.
  7. ctuinstra

Throttle Surging

While our car drives soooo much better after softening the suspension and a good tune, I still have a slight oscillation from time to time especially in second gear. Now that HP Tuners has stand-alone logging available, I pretty much log all the time now. Well tonight it wanted to do it again...
  8. ctuinstra

Tuning Results

Recently I posted in this thread about how my current tune (at that time) was having to add some fuel. I speculated that it was because the last time I was tuning the car, it was fairly hot outside and when running the car during cooler, dense air such as this spring, it was getting much more...
  9. ctuinstra

Dash Lights

I just noticed that when I turn off my headlights, the dash (instrument cluster) lights go out. I would have assumed that they would get brighter for daytime viewing like my other vehicles. How do yours work when you turn off the headlights? I left the ambient light sensor in the harness and...
  10. ctuinstra

Good Ectotech Video

I ran across this video and found it very informative and interesting. Even though the title is about why they fail, it's not really speaking badly of the engine, just some things to know and understand about the engine. I love how quickly he went through and covered the entire engine in a...
  11. ctuinstra

[SC TUNE GUIDE #2] HPTuners; Using Templates

The purpose of this thread is to show you how to use a template in HP Tuners. This function allows you to apply a specific set of changes to your tune time and time again without worry of forgetting one here or there. Let me explain a bit more, in order to prepare for tuning, you have to make...
  12. ctuinstra

Throttle Dead Space

I'm starting a new thread so as not to highjack Zoom Zoom's clutch thread seen here. I noticed that our car will idle fine at 850 RPM (when warmed up) and then you can depress the throttle very slowly and see the change on HP Tuners on the scanner but the RPMs will not change until you keep...
  13. ctuinstra

[SC TUNE GUIDE #1] HPTuners; Goblin Basic Settings

I'm going to do much the same as OptimizePrime did over in the Tuning>SS/TC section and cover some of the basic set up and changes I have made to the supercharged version. While you may not want to make every setting, and I don't suggest you do, I want to cover some that you may want to learn...
  14. ctuinstra

First SCCA Autocross (STL)

Kaleb ran in his first autocross this Sunday. This one is in St. Louis, MO. He was the only one in the EM class. While he has racing experience with ATVs and RC Cars, this was his first in a full size vehicle. The first lap, I instructed him not to be a hero and just run the course and make...
  15. ctuinstra

Cobalts a Collector Item???

This I would not have predicted. Another Donut Media video this time talking about cars that have become heavily sought after. Start at 7:46
  16. ctuinstra

Track Apps

I'm looking for input on track apps for autocross. I have TrackAddict (free version) and before I upgrade to the pro version, I want to see if there are others out there that might be better. I don't have any problems with it, just want to know if there are better options. I have a VeePeak...
  17. ctuinstra

Air Filter Placement

Lesson learned. Be careful how you place your air filter. During our build, I thought that it would be a good idea to keep it up in the surrounding air and away from any engine heat. It was standing almost straight up. Well, during tuning of the MAF tables, I was out collecting logging data...
  18. ctuinstra

Heat Exchanger Louvers

Since we lowered and changed the angle on the heat exchanger, I wanted to make sure that we weren't loosing out on cooling. Kaleb designed and 3D printed louvers to catch the air from blowing under. He printed them in three sections and I epoxied them together and installed. I really like the...
  19. ctuinstra

Just some thoughts and observations

We have the Pro Feature set now and are able to do data logging without a laptop riding along. Also using the WB AFR on an analog channel instead of the serial and the data seems a lot more accurate and more in sync. One of the first things I noticed is the LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trims) are off...
  20. ctuinstra

HP Tuner Templates

I did not know (because I didn't take the time to figure it out) that HP Tuners has the ability to create templates. These templates can be made to contain only certain changes to be applied. This comes in handy for setting or changes that you always tend to set and don't want to have to do...