Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That’s sad. My wife loves riding in ours. Once I get her proficient on a standard again practicing in the Jeep as a trainer, she’ll be driving the goblin.

she was a bit nervous on her first real ride in it though. She put the front end together and while riding, she can see the front tires bounce up and down. That’s when the little voice in her head said “did I tighten all the bolt there”. :D

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'm going to try to urge my wife to give it another try when it's street legal. She's just not coordinated enough to get in and out of it without trouble, lol. It was pretty funny watching her try on the driver's side ... I made her nervous when I said "Be careful, don't break the turn signal switch or the camera monitor or the ....." etc.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I'm going to try to urge my wife to give it another try when it's street legal. She's just not coordinated enough to get in and out of it without trouble, lol. It was pretty funny watching her try on the driver's side ... I made her nervous when I said "Be careful, don't break the turn signal switch or the camera monitor or the ....." etc.
It takes some practice to get in and out. Once you figure out how it is seamless.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I saw a variance of maybe 1/16th of an inch between when nobody was in the car, and when my wife got in.

I've confirmed that she will never, ever ride in this thing. Not only is she terrified of it, but she can't get in and out, lol.
My wife also her legs are so short, :)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
No one gets in and out properly without practice. Even explaining it to passengers how to do it, they want to “dukes of hazard“ it and off goes the mirror. :rolleyes:

Goblin Guru
I'm still trying to figure out how to do it without leaving footprints on my seat every time. A quick-release steering wheel seems almost mandatory for these.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Absolutely. It would be impossible for me to get in and out without a removable steering wheel. I don’t know how others do it with a permanent wheel.

I have said it a few times, but grip tape on the floor makes getting in and out easier, without the fear of slipping.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I'm still trying to figure out how to do it without leaving footprints on my seat every time. A quick-release steering wheel seems almost mandatory for these.
add that quick release to the list..... It is a must!
X + Y + d + quick release.....

Goblin Guru

I took the Goblin out around the neighborhood for one quick lap. I really, really wanted to test my alignment as well as shifting into gears beyond 1st and Reverse. No pics though, I didn't want to stop anywhere for a photo op and I was all strapped in with my pain-in-the-ass harness so if I did draw any attention, I would be buckled in. I don't like the harnesses, the clasp is like playing Tetris but it's safe and sturdy as hell, so whatever. I'm going to keep them and keep my wife happy.

I got it up to about 30 MPH (the speed limit, no need to tweak the natives) and was able to run through all the gears. The turbo sound is addicting. Shifting was smooth. The only thing I think I am going to do is get rid of the reverse lock on my shifter; I find it annoying and the tab on my shifter base is worn anyway, so it barely serves a purpose. The alignment is still a little off on the front, but it's close. The clutch grabs well, no need to replace at this point.

This car seriously wants to GO. I'm going to have fun with this thing for a long, long time.

Other weekend tasks included taking the passenger seat out to flip the one half of the lap belt around and to untrap the crotch belt. I still have to do the same for the driver-side crotch belt, but I had a hell of a headache by the late afternoon so that'll be next weekend. I also permanently mounted and wired my whole camera system. It suffers a little bit from vibration at speed, but not much can be done about that. Lastly, I drilled the holes for attaching the side panels, in anticipation of receiving the wrap for them this week.

I've decided not to modify my wing's lighting because it's just not that big of a deal, and I don't want to add more points of failure. I haven't worked on the push-button ignition yet since the car has been drivable. I'll probably wait until the cold off-season to perfect that, since the car isn't going to be on the road this year. I also don't want that installed until after I get one of Bradr's TDM/key-cloning devices.

Lastly for today, I can't wrap up the car yet because I am waiting for the button panel. No ETA on that, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Do “they” have a car in the driveway? If they do, call your city neighborhood protection and say it’s a junk vehicle that hasn’t moved in over 48 hours. o_O

benjy

Lastly for today, I can't wrap up the car yet because I am waiting for the button panel. No ETA on that, unfortunately.
Is this the DF button panel? I just realized this weekend my stage 2/3 had BO on the packing slip. I was going to call Adam about it tomorrow but sounds like that may not be necessary...

Goblin Guru
Is this the DF button panel? I just realized this weekend my stage 2/3 had BO on the packing slip. I was going to call Adam about it tomorrow but sounds like that may not be necessary...
That's right, the DF button panel. Last I heard, they didn't have any made up, but that was like, a month ago I think. I've been hesitant to call about it.

Ark, no holes in bottom frame tube for the side panels, correct? ;) Hate see a puddle under your almost completed car.
Correct!

Goblin Guru
This was my evening, today .... I thought it would only take me an hour, but it took more than three. I am definitely not a fan of wrapping. They didn't turn out perfect, either. Minor flaws ... I'm thinking of a few ways to mask some of it. I have a few ideas.

20200817_205828.jpg 20200817_205833.jpg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Those look pretty slick. My hat's off to you for doing your own vinyl... I put some carbon fiber wrap on the inside of my side panels. I tried to wrap some other parts.... after 3 attempts, I just paid my local guy to do it for me......

Goblin Guru
It's ViVid XPO black carbon fiber, I think. Looks good overall, but there's some small dimples and imperfections on the rear-wheels end of it. I was contemplating re-doing it, but wrap is rather nightmarish to work with so I'll let it for now. I might be the only person to notice the flaws, I don't know.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I might be the only person to notice the flaws, I don't know.
This. I see all kinds of imperfections and details every time I look at mine. Everyone else oohs and aahs at how good it looks any time we go anywhere. We're always more critical of our own work.