Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

bradr

I noticed when I put my seats in a while back, that the driver seat did not center up well with the steering column. And now that I've got the steering wheel hardware on, it's rather quite off-center with where my body will be while driving. Not a big deal, it's very doable, just a little annoying. I presume this is how it is for most everyone?
Yes, they are all off center and It bothers me as well. I purchased a spare steering bracket from DF with the intentions of cutting the stock one off and welding the new one on about 2" to the left to center it up. At the same time I plan to rotate it such that the steering wheel will drop about 2". The only concern is the PS motor. I'm sure you will get use to it in the stock location, but it bothers my OCD.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Brad, check your clearances between the power steering motor and the frame rail before cutting and rewelding the bracket. Moving it 2 inches left may cause interference and could be very close to the underside of the hood if you're using one.

Edit: sorry Ark for hijacking your build thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
This weekend, I only did some minor work on the Goblin, because I had to install brake rotors and pads on my daily driver. I painted more of the various parts that come with stages 2 and 3, assembled most of the front suspension, and relocated my brake fluid reservoir.

Not a very notable weekend, but I have to admit, I made a pretty stupid blunder that's going to cost me some $$$. I will detail it here once I hear back from Adam on the best course to resolve.

o_O

I bet a few of you sharp-minded lads could guess what I did, based upon where I am in the build. First person to "name that mistake" gets a beer on my tab if we ever meet up.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
This weekend, I only did some minor work on the Goblin, because I had to install brake rotors and pads on my daily driver. I painted more of the various parts that come with stages 2 and 3, assembled most of the front suspension, and relocated my brake fluid reservoir.

Not a very notable weekend, but I have to admit, I made a pretty stupid blunder that's going to cost me some $$$. I will detail it here once I hear back from Adam on the best course to resolve.

o_O

I bet a few of you sharp-minded lads could guess what I did, based upon where I am in the build. First person to "name that mistake" gets a beer on my tab if we ever meet up.
Cut your new engine cover incorrectly.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru

Cross threaded a control arm. Or dropped a shock and boogered up the threads on it?

Goblin Guru
Cross threaded a control arm. Or dropped a shock and boogered up the threads on it?
I owe this man a beer. And you're in Pittsburgh Karter, so there's a pretty good chance you'll be able to capitalize on it!

I cross-threaded BOTH lower control arms. It was bizarre though .... the resistance I felt was minimal until both outer Heim joints were close to halfway in. I attributed it to stubborn threads. When the first one started to get a little more difficult, I put it down and went for the second one. Same experience. So I began backing the Heim joints out and basically at that point, all hell broke loose. I can't even get them out of the control arms.

I've asked Adam for his opinion on what my next step is. I'll probably be buying two new lower control arms, two new Heim joints, and then powder-coating the arms. :(

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I owe this man a beer. And you're in Pittsburgh Karter, so there's a pretty good chance you'll be able to capitalize on it!

I cross-threaded BOTH lower control arms. It was bizarre though .... the resistance I felt was minimal until both outer Heim joints were close to halfway in. I attributed it to stubborn threads. When the first one started to get a little more difficult, I put it down and went for the second one. Same experience. So I began backing the Heim joints out and basically at that point, all hell broke loose. I can't even get them out of the control arms.
I think I bought a tap to clean the threads up on the control arm. If you want to try to clean up the threads before you buy new ones I will ship it to you. It is for the spindle side of the arm.

Goblin Guru
I would definitely like to try. I'll PM you my address. This might go a bit beyond cleaning up the threads though. Those suckers are in there.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru

o_O

Wait I'm confused! You said you did only a little work on the goblin but also worked on your daily?! I thought its the same thing?! hahaha

I used to drive my first one to work 5 days a week :p

Nuker-

Goblin Guru
Wait I'm confused! You said you did only a little work on the goblin but also worked on your daily?! I thought its the same thing?! hahaha

I used to drive my first one to work 5 days a week :p

Nuker-
That'll probably be me too in the future, but not yet! My daily is a 2013 Explorer.

Murcielago311

Ok I'll own up, I too am the proud owner of a 3/4x16 LH tap that I'll never need again. The outer rod end on my upper passenger arm. Just the slightest bit of resistance and it was nearly welded in there.

Not sure if it was rust or some powder that caused it but i think everyone should use a Dremel wire wheel or even a tap before threading in the rod ends.

Let me know if you or anyone else needs the tap.

Goblin Guru
Karter is checking his toolbox at work for me tomorrow, but I'll let you know. I'm glad to hear you encountered the same thing I did: light resistance, but **** near welded in there. Maybe there's hope for my existing control arms after all.

Murcielago311

I had to stick a ratchet extension through the rod end and my jack handle over that for leverage to get it back out. It's never a good day when I have to pull the jack handle out of the jack...
You'll get it sorted. One way or the other!

Goblin Guru
I had to stick a ratchet extension through the rod end and my jack handle over that for leverage to get it back out. It's never a good day when I have to pull the jack handle out of the jack...
You'll get it sorted. One way or the other!
Dang, and the tap was enough to correct even those threads? I'm feeling better.

Chin up Jeremy! The rest of us just never shared our oopsie moments........ ;)
I haven't shared all of mine either, lol!