Dakota8800's City Goblin! - 2005 Cobalt SS/SC

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Don't forget to strip out the parking brake tubes and cables, if you intend to get the DF parking brake kit.

Dakota8800

Polishing a turd!
Got the valve cover painted.
A little more yellow in my gold than I would have preferred, but I like it!
IMG_20200721_185715.jpg

IMG_20200721_200334.jpg

How does the engine look for 200k miles?

Average? Bad?
Definitely some build-up there.

IMG_20200721_174438.jpg

Is there any safe and easy way to clean up an engine from the top?
Probably not, but worth the ask I suppose.

lksohm

Valve cover looks good!
My 140K LSJ was worse looking than that sludge wise. Just depends on how well it was maintained. The general consensus seems to be just keep good clean oil in it and it will work the engine clean without clogging any oil passages. That is how I am dealing with it anyway.

Dakota8800

Valve cover looks good!
My 140K LSJ was worse looking than that sludge wise. Just depends on how well it was maintained. The general consensus seems to be just keep good clean oil in it and it will work the engine clean without clogging any oil passages. That is how I am dealing with it anyway.
Thank you!
Will do, I will just use some quality oil and change more frequently!

Dakota8800

It has been slow progress.
I ran into a couple of issues. Only one was directly my doing!
I cut the wrong hoses! While dropping my fuel tank, I incorrectly traced the lines and cut fuel lines instead of evap hoses. Oops!
IMG_20200811_171424.jpg

I know it can be done, but has anyone repaired plastic fuel lines? I think Dorman has a repair kit for it.

When I was hammering on my steering wheel it released pretty explosively! Part broke. I think this is the module that tracks steering wheel movement to turn off the blinkers when the steering wheel moves.
Is that all this part does? Should I buy another? Or can I cut the ribbons and manage without?
IMG_20200811_170656.jpg

IMG_20200811_170652.jpg

Made some shoddy sawhorses for my wiring harness table. I need to reinforce them, but I think they will do
IMG_20200811_212732.jpg

Seats ordered!
rsc-208l-r_1.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
the steering wheel part is just the clock spring. You will not be using that. :)
As for the fuel lines, just pick up some fuel rated hose that fits over the plastic and put some clamps on it both ends.

Dakota8800

the steering wheel part is just the clock spring. You will not be using that. :)
As for the fuel lines, just pick up some fuel rated hose that fits over the plastic and put some clamps on it both ends.
Great news! Best community hands down. With every reply my confidence in this project goes up.

Thank you!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Would wholeheartedly recommend getting the parking brake kit, having a 5-speed with no parking brake strikes me as unsafe as hell, lol!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Use high pressure (60psi or higher) rubber fuel hose to clean up the the fuel hose routings. Cut the ends off the stock hoses and attach them to the rubber hoses. I also cut the plastic line off the car from the quick disconnect on the engine to the metal line going back to the fuel tank. I spliced that in for a clean look from the filter to top of the engine.

yep, a clock spring for the air bag. Not needed.

Attachments