Ghostknife's #383 Track SS/SC

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
So I have the HP Tuner all synced up and stuff. Now to see what’s going on with the engine, do I just start the data log process and go for a drive? When I’m done I see I can save the file. Who here is the go to guru to read this file? haha.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
1st step is to read your existing tune and compare it to a stock file from the HP Tuners repository and see what is changed.
2nd step will be to get a good channel/parameter listing of what needs to be logged. Maybe someone on here can supply a good one or dig through the HP Tuners forums for an LSJ parameter list. You may be able to pull one HPT forum but I'm not sure how well you can import the channel listing from older versions into new.
3rd step will be to drive/log and post the log here and HPTuner forum (although the GM I4 section is pretty quite) along with a synopsis of what your mods are, what the problem is and what you have done already to try and correct the problem (so we don't have to read through several pages of a build log to get back up to speed).

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Ok I have saved the tune file that was on the car. I will do some research to see if I can find a stock tune to compare.

The car has an older stage 2 from zzp. Which from what I can see is a tune with 60# injectors and a 2.8” pulley.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Also, when @Gtstorey says "compare", he probably means the actual compare feature in VCM Editor. You open the tune file you want then click Compare -> Open Compare file.

Then you can go to the same menu and "View Comparison Log" to see a list of all the differences.

Helped me a lot in understanding what ZZP is changing between tunes on mine.

Also, here is the channels/layout file ZZP Gave me. It says 2.2/2.4, but it seems to have most of the stuff any setup would need. Would be a good starting point if nothing else. FYI I had to rename them as .txt to upload them here. Remove the .txt in the file names.

Attachments

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Downloaded the Stock 07 SS file and these are the differences that it is listing. It is fun going through this and learning it.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Next step will be to compare actual values for those differences. It looks like it could be set up to run speed density based upon some of things listed as changed as related to the MAF.

It would also still be good to remind us what problem you were having, I skimmed through your build log and remember some of the discussion but probably not all of the details. You had what appeared to be a dead cylinder that maybe started working and low boost?

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
So for the issue I was having:

-Cylinder 3s exhaust wasn't bluing the same as the others and that had me concerned it wasn't firing.
-When coasting or low RPM I will get the check engine blinking at me but it doesn't cause a CEL to log.
-I cannot get more than 4 PSI of boost while driving.

I have replaced the boost control solenoid.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would check to see what dtc are set to not record and which ones are set to no ses(service engine soon) if that is an option.
On the log beside all of the basics see if you have a desired boost pid and waste gate duty cycle.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
I seem to remember a engine power reduced mode too but I don't have my panel buttons yet so I can not cycle through the gauge cluster info.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
What are the modifications from a stock lsj that you know of?

that is a lot of things turned off that I don’t understand why, but I have only messed with the LNF. There are a lot of codes turned off that don’t apply to an ecotec such as the bank 2 stuff and other things that have probably been deleted such as the second o2 and evap. Unless someone that knows the lsj says otherwise I would set all of the DTC settings to match the stock tune (other than the obvious ones that need to be off) and see what shows up. Depending on your modifications I might set everything back to stock and start over.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
What are the modifications from a stock lsj that you know of?

that is a lot of things turned off that I don’t understand why, but I have only messed with the LNF. There are a lot of codes turned off that don’t apply to an ecotec such as the bank 2 stuff and other things that have probably been deleted such as the second o2 and evap. Unless someone that knows the lsj says otherwise I would set all of the DTC settings to match the stock tune (other than the obvious ones that need to be off) and see what shows up. Depending on your modifications I might set everything back to stock and start over.
60lb injectors and a 2.8" pulley

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I wouldn’t think that would be enough to make major changes to the dtc list. Maybe some of the maf/map related DTC might be a problem but I would match stock on the remaining.

did this setup run in your donor?
I would also check all map part # to the map settings in the tune.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You may figure out what is going on by turning back on the DTC and getting an error.

I don't know much about tuning the LSJ but the only thing that stands out to me is the fact that Dynamic Airflow is disabled. This maybe normal with tuned LSJs.