Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

Ross

Goblin Guru
Were the Goblins able to get near 70 seconds?
The new track looks nice. A bit rough pavement in the pits, but the track pavement looks good, and wow, the space & speed!
Is this track going to be your usual from now on?

Classy

This is the second one this year at this track. I would really like to do more there. Grip for me at least was REALLY good. My driving could have used some help, but I kept anticipating different parts of the course but I was early… Like Jason said, it was a long course, it was hard to remember it all.

Ross, they were right around 71 seconds

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Were the Goblins able to get near 70 seconds?
The new track looks nice. A bit rough pavement in the pits, but the track pavement looks good, and wow, the space & speed!
Is this track going to be your usual from now on?
I had two runs sub 70.
since we will not be running at the old greyhound park anymore, this track as well as a smaller one at the police academy will be where they hold events.

Classy

.020 difference. Hehe

I like running there, other than the parking lot could use some care.
I knew we were close, but I didn’t know we were that close.

I like grey hound once I can figure out how to make my car handle the crappy surface there. The 2 day event I got it ironed out, I came off the trailer Sunday and I was pushing hard

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ya. You said 71.0something and I saw 71.0something for me, so I knew it was close.

I hope the boys had a good time. They looked like they enjoyed it.

Classy

Ya. You said 71.0something and I saw 71.0something for me, so I knew it was close.

I hope the boys had a good time. They looked like they enjoyed it.
Oh they did! They are already talking about getting cars when they turn 16 to do this

Classy

I may or may not have told your son to talk you into giving him yours and you get something else. :p
Oh he told me you did, but he also said he didn’t think I would. Also, hopefully before 2022, my car will have the same whine yours does

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Saturday in Houston was 83 degrees. Sunday morning was 33 degrees. That is some messed up weather.
Regardless, 150 or so hearty (crazy) souls bundled up to run some AutoX at the local Police Academy training facility.
It is safe to say that rubber tire compounds are not real happy in 33 degree temps.
It is difficult to drive hard knowing that your driving normal limits are so restricted. Plenty of sliding around the course.
Russell @Rttoys drove well to finish top of Emod.
And as Russell pointed out, the Stalker from Austin was amazing to watch. Blew everyone away.
My youngest son and I both drove the Goblin. Always fun hanging out with Cooper.
Unfortunately, the GoPro was full so we did not get any on-board video. Rookie mistake. :(

Goblin on, friends.

IMG_1041.jpgIMG_1045.jpgIMG_1458.JPEG

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Houston autoX is heating up. 87 degrees today. Like sweaty hot.
Notice how we complain about the cold, and then instantly start complaining about the heat........ Hmmmmmm. No such thing as spring or fall here.

Had 201 entrants today. Usual suspects mostly. Just the three regulars in the Goblins, though. Russell and Scott made it. Scott even drove his Goblin to the event since he lived so near the place. Brett was busy with family biz. Bill working on a trailer. Cody still building. Gonna be fun to get five or more Goblins running one day. Coop was too busy with school to get the Mijata repaired so he just drove with me. We did get my friend JOhn with the '69 Mini to run again. That thing is just so small. John drives it like a pro though. Pretty cool. I am excited to see how he will keep restoring it and upgrading it. He has some lofty horsepower plans for it.

Scott had an interesting insight. I said he drove to the event. About 20 minutes or so. Lots of pollen in the air right now. He had a nice layer on his rear wing before starting. He keeps a clean machine, but the crappy pollen is everywhere now. Upon arriving, it was obvious where the air had been hitting on the wing. It had blown off the pollen on the outer 20" or so. Proves Lonny right again. duh. The air is very turbulent and "dirty" after the passenger compartment. Nice Ken Miles kind of experiment. :)

It is a little odd and cool at the same time racing at the Police Academy. Right under their noses and no one getting a ticket. Right on their track. Well. I guess our tax dollars paid for the facility. SO. OUR TRACK! haha

I replaced the SD card in the GoPro with one that filled up after just 3 runs. Technical brain fart. So, we missed Coop's two wipeouts. Good ones too. After the second one, he said "sorry about the tires, dad". Oh. Like I don't spin out myself. Right!!?? The kid had the fastest lap of the day until he hit a cone near the finish. 2 second penalty.

The forum these days has so many new builders. And, unfortunately, many of the old regulars have moved on. Hopefully these kinds of posts will help motivate some of you guys still building.

Goblin on, friends!

IMG_1302.jpgIMG_1304.jpgIMG_1305.jpgIMG_1307.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I really need to get a camera setup to both post and watch my runs to help find more speed.
Indeed. The camera position behind the driver shows your hand work as well as other things that you really never notice under the mental load of just driving the car. Some of my earlier posts show this location.

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Just another autoX update...... :)
Never gets old...

We drafted another move-in Goblin owner to join us - Tim. He, Brett, and I had to carry the burden for some absent members.

Had some joker sign up in our little EMOD "club" class in a Legend(!!??). I had to google it to find out what it was all about. The dang thing is SMALLER than our Goblins. And slower.... ;) Cool looking though. They nailed the scale on the body work. Looks proportionally correct. Lighter (1300 lb) and less power - like 160 hp?

I am still am amazed at the vehicles that show up at autoX. Bought. Built. New. Old. Junk. Really too nice to be here is another new category. A Mercedes GLA45!!!!!!!

Got to meet some prospective Goblin builders (Floyd and his grandson Jackson). Gave them both the standard seat of the pants rides. I think it sealed the deal for you @Lonny. :)
Gotta love a grandfather who wants to build a Goblin with his grandson!!!!

Our Goblin crew ran early and avoided the downpour in heat four. That kind of sucked having to work then...

I tested the rule about having two tires off the track to get a DNF. Yep. Still a rule.
Also, carrying too much speed along with an over abundance of confidence into a corner can still get you to spin like a top.
Got the video card figured out and captured it all finally. Enjoy.

Goblin On, friends!

IMG_1402.jpgIMG_1403.jpgIMG_1406.jpgIMG_1407.jpg

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'm glad to see you guys still holding it down at your local autox. No disrespect to any of our fellow Goblineers, but so many move on, seemingly so easily. I can't imagine ever selling my car, barring a life change that mandates it.

(Unless somebody walks up to me with a certified check for $30k, that is!!!)

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I'm glad to see you guys still holding it down at your local autox. No disrespect to any of our fellow Goblineers, but so many move on, seemingly so easily. I can't imagine ever selling my car, barring a life change that mandates it.

(Unless somebody walks up to me with a certified check for $30k, that is!!!)
We ALL have a number. The question is, if that number was met, would we build another Goblin?