Jim McDonald // Extended Track // '09 HHR SS/TC Automatic

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I'm struggling with a few of the decisions. For example.

I want to put the transcooler here, but I'm not sure that will be its final spot. I want to do as much of the welding as possible now, before we coat, but know I may need to move it later to fit other things.

20200323_201201.jpg

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I'm struggling with a few of the decisions. For example.

I want to put the transcooler here, but I'm not sure that will be its final spot. I want to do as much of the welding as possible now, before we coat, but know I may need to move it later to fit other things.

View attachment 13761
For the SS/SC version a lot of the builds put their cold air intakes there. There are a couple of TC versions too. Not sure what you have planned. I think I'm going up, snorkel style.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I have been spending time on the "hose through the frame" delete also. Way to much time.

We welded in some threaded spacers into the subframe. Don't laugh at the welds, I only tig now because of sparks, clothing, sitting, parapagia, fire,and there wasn't a lot of room to get the torch and filler back in that hole. Not to mention, I'm not that good at it anyway

20200507_165431.jpg

20200507_194947.jpg

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Testing the frame for leaks has turned out to be a major time consumer. For a one time one off test, i didnt want to spend the money for manufactured tools so i had to build my own.

I turned down a freeze plug style test plug from lowes. Had to drill a port through the bolt. Cost $4.50 x 2

20200509_090822.jpg

20200509_210707.jpg

Now the only thing I have to do is make sure that there are no internal leaks that would allow coolant to full other frame members.

The red members have holes in them already. They don't leak.

I need to test the yellows. I could always just drill a pin hole size hole in them and verylify the no pressure leaks out but really don't want extra holes. Idea 2 is to fill the lower tube with hot water, pressurize, and see if any other tubes heat up. Like I said,this is killing a lot of time.

20200510_084040.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jim, I would look at this exercise as your guarantee that you will have no unexpected leaks. This is important to ensure no surprises down the road and that no rework of your frame will be needed after finishing. Anyone thinking of using the lower frame tube needs to follow your example and perform their due diligence to ensure no extraneous leaks. Please be sure to document this well, you are paving the way! :D

gofast

I'm one of the others considering running coolant directly through the tubes. I need some clarification. I never considered the lower tubes might have holes in them where the other tubes are welded on. Are these holes there by design? if so, why? If not, how do they get there?

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I'm one of the others considering running coolant directly through the tubes. I need some clarification. I never considered the lower tubes might have holes in them where the other tubes are welded on. Are these holes there by design? if so, why? If not, how do they get there?
The 2 tubes that I point out in red, have holes predrilled for rivets to install the firewalls/bulkheads. If there was a leak into those from the lower frame tube, my pressure text would have failed.

My concern is that of holes inadvertently being burned in during the welding process that vent into other tubes and not the atmosphere. You don't want to have hot coolant running through the halo.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of fitting I can put in the valve cover for my external pcv valve and catch can system? Preferably somewhere in the red boxes so as to use the stock media.

20200520_084529.jpg

20200520_084429.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of fitting I can put in the valve cover for my external pcv valve and catch can system? Preferably somewhere in the red boxes so as to use the stock media.

View attachment 14115

View attachment 14116
see the thread and post #37
https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/oil-separator.1596/page-2

I blocked the PCV, removed that valve, and re-directed the pressure and any flow to an air/oil separator. But, this took place in the intake, not the valve cover.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Yesterday was my 1 year mark on the forum. It was pure coincidence that we also started stage 1 assembly yesterday. It feels good to finally be putting things on that won't be coming right back off. We finished video 16 .

As a side note, Steel-it does not shoot well at 80 degrees. It was impossible to keep wet and the whole thing turned out to be an oversprayed disaster. We've knocked a bunch of it off with 2000 grit, and..... it will be OK until we do it right, later.

Still kinda on track for July's race.

20200528_104559.jpg

20200528_111505.jpg

20200528_121426.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
80 degrees?!? You must have tried to paint that a while ago, cause it's been hotter than blue blazes here for a couple weeks now. Good to see you are doing final build things and no longer dry fitting. The green floor is a great color and will definitely stand out once you are finished. :)