Jim McDonald // Extended Track // '09 HHR SS/TC Automatic

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jim, surface radiators are used in aerospace and could be good for secondary cooling. Not sure about a primary cooling device (too be effective they need constant airflow to remove the BTUs), but combining this with a heat exchanger could provide the extra cooling needed out here in our desert environment. :) There are some examples of surface radiators in Dr. Google that can help explain the efficiency expected from a specific surface area. I'm not trying too shoot this idea down at all, since this idea makes it possible to put a 'cosmetic' device (wang) to good use.:D

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I blew up your spot! Sorry about that.

I'll be very curious to see how you get the water up there.

1) Isn't it more difficult to pump water higher? Can the normal intercooler pump handle it, or do you need something beefier?
2) Would you do 90-degree hard fittings for the tight turns?

Interesting idea, for sure.
This forum is awesome for bouncing ideas around. And you guys are awesome for not trash talking. These are all good questions.

1. It requires 1/2psi every 1ft of elevation. The current pump location is low, but the heat exchanger in top of the motor, so the wings not that much higher. I'm not sure how much pressure our current bosch pumps can pump.

2. The only place that it will be a tight turn will be a 180 from one wing to the next. Water will travel in one and out the other. I think.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have my intercooler radiator up at the top of the roll bar, and the pump seems to get the water up there, no problem.

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
So, I have really slacked on keeping up this build log. We have come a long way since my last entry. I'm going to spend some time today and write a post about each step. Sorry for the way I'm going to do it, I know it means a barrage of notifications for some of you, but I want to be able to go back and build an index. Where to start?

Back in September, we started the registration process. Grant Cropper and I both were ready to do so, or so we thought. Going for a specialty constructed vehicle registration. We did our first inspection at a G1 NV Dmv rated shop. Both cars passed. Same day we did our first dmv inspections and were informed that specialty constructed vehicles are trailers and amuzmemt rides. We asked about replicas and were told it has be close to identical. Kit car was the only way and were told we'd have to pass smog. In Nevada smog is only required in the 2 urban counties. We then hauled the cars to a G2 shop to get a motor serial number ID inspection. And back to the dmv. We now were classified as 2020 DFKC Goblins and the motor make model and year were tied to the Vin.

We now had to hold to the emission standard of a 2009 LNF. All of the smog gear needed to be installed for visual inspection as well as electrical continuity, viewed by the ecm, pcm, and functioning with out emulators. Their software pokes around all over the computers.

Figured out how to re-pin the vac canister vent valve, tank pressure, and perge valve.
20201022_085400.jpg

Re-installed the vac canister and replumbed the vac system and learned how to use a bidirectional scanner to make sure the system was sealed up.

20201022_085442.jpg

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
We took the car back to the Dmv emissions lab for the final dmv inspection and passed. Ish. I think they were starting to feel sorry for us. We had every all of the equipment in, but had a few codes. One of the codes was the missing fan controller. The emissions inspector said he'd pass us but if we didn't have that controller working, it wouldn't pass the actual smog check. So then began the adventure of reinstalling the stock fan, controller, and wiring. 20201107_185051.jpg

20201107_211008.jpg

It was tight. Misses everything by about 1/8". 20201107_211401.jpg

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
We took the chance to fit a much larger transmission cooler while the front was torn apart. I built a shroud for it and it will hopefully suck cool air from under the car. We need to keep some heat in the transmission, so I hope we will find balance between to much and to little heat right under the radiator. It may be necessary to put in heat shield.
20201120_203223.jpg

20201120_213342.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jim, did this require the reistallation of the evap canister? I see the #2 oxygen sensor installed after cat. I have to ask how loud is the exhaust with just the cat? Good you have this figured out. Is Grant in the same boat?

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Jim, did this require the reistallation of the evap canister? I see the #2 oxygen sensor installed after cat. I have to ask how loud is the exhaust with just the cat? Good you have this figured out. Is Grant in the same boat?
Yes, we reinstalled everything. You know, it's jot as loud as you would expect. The turbo really is a very good muffler. Grant has spent the last couple of days trying to get his last required monitor to set. He hasn't gotten any code but still lacks the cat and evap monitors. It's probably to cold out to set the evap so we are hoping for a break in the rain to do another drive cycle. His appointment is Wednesday morning. Fingers crossed.

Lando217

Did a few more brake light tests. The HHR bpps is completely opposite that of the Cobalt. Even the voltages are backward. I will need to fab a new mount for the hhr to cobalt bpps adaption. Still need to do a bpps relearn. No brake lights yet.

Put hinges on the hood today. Still need to glass some stiffeners into the hood, and figure out how to put gas struts/lifts to limit the travel and dampen any violent openings.

View attachment 16285

View attachment 16286

View attachment 16287

View attachment 16288

We put a little rounded lip to protect the fiberglass in the case of an inadvertent bump with the parking stops.
Awesome idea! i like it. did you just free hand the bracket for the hood hinge or do you have a File that could be shared to duplicate? i like how it also acts like a bumper guard. Thanks!!

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Awesome idea! i like it. did you just free hand the bracket for the hood hinge or do you have a File that could be shared to duplicate? i like how it also acts like a bumper guard. Thanks!!
Thanks. I have more ideas than time and I still haven't put the gas struts on yet. I just used the corner of a 2x4x1/4" square tube and cut it out by hand.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Did a few more brake light tests. The HHR bpps is completely opposite that of the Cobalt. Even the voltages are backward. I will need to fab a new mount for the hhr to cobalt bpps adaption. Still need to do a bpps relearn. No brake lights yet.

Put hinges on the hood today. Still need to glass some stiffeners into the hood, and figure out how to put gas struts/lifts to limit the travel and dampen any violent openings.

View attachment 16285

View attachment 16286

View attachment 16287

View attachment 16288

We put a little rounded lip to protect the fiberglass in the case of an inadvertent bump with the parking stops.
Jim, did you get the hood hinge set up completed? Would love to see some good photos of how you accomplished this and the parts used. Thanks! :D

Lando217

Jim, did you get the hood hinge set up completed? Would love to see some good photos of how you accomplished this and the parts used. Thanks! :D
I replicated the hood hinge and came out awesome! Thanks for the idea! Worth the engineering. Iam waiting on the dampers. I can also post what I did when I get a picture.

Mr.Griggs

This Build is awesome! I am currently planning my Goblin build and I just so happen to have a 07 HHR 2.4 L NA. In a year or so when I have a garage to tear it apart, I will start my goblin journey.. I was wondering if I would have the same mounting issues with a NA automatic and not a turbo automatic and since the dust has settled on get it running what items will I not be able to get from the HHR. It would be great to see a wrap up of this build on the viability of the HHR platform for the goblin.. Thanks!

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
This Build is awesome! I am currently planning my Goblin build and I just so happen to have a 07 HHR 2.4 L NA. In a year or so when I have a garage to tear it apart, I will start my goblin journey.. I was wondering if I would have the same mounting issues with a NA automatic and not a turbo automatic and since the dust has settled on get it running what items will I not be able to get from the HHR. It would be great to see a wrap up of this build on the viability of the HHR platform for the goblin.. Thanks!
I know I need to do an index and a wrap up post, but I'm still working on it. We just got the new motor in and have about half of the break in miles behind us.

A NA/Auto motor will not have the clearance issues that we did. It's the turbo plumbing that caused the problem because it has to make a u-turn in front of the motor.

Time. I need more time.......and less heat. 119 today.

I'll DM you to answer some of your questions.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I know I need to do an index and a wrap up post, but I'm still working on it. We just got the new motor in and have about half of the break in miles behind us.

A NA/Auto motor will not have the clearance issues that we did. It's the turbo plumbing that caused the problem because it has to make a u-turn in front of the motor.

Time. I need more time.......and less heat. 119 today.

I'll DM you to answer some of your questions.
Using a Saab B207 intake manifold will place the throttle body on top rather than underneath, which would also help with clearance issues. It's why I swapped the Saab part into my piecemeal turbo kit over the LDK intake manifold I got from ZZP. You know, if/when I get around to adding boost.