Lechlis's Track Goblin - 06 SS Donor - Chassis #173 - Registered

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Good question. Lol.

I had been set on a Van's RV-8 because I wanted something quick, aerobatic, and would be a decent IFR platform, but am a little uncertain about the manhours and financial requirements since I ultimately want to fly the thing in the relatively near future (<4 years). I do a fair bit of grass and short field flying for fun, so I actually built one of the introductory rudder kits for a Zenith 701. The Zenith's construction time appears to be about half or less of the RV-8 and generally simpler in nature. So I may go that route, but it is ultimately not 100% set in stone since I have not sunk much into either route other than plans, basic tooling, and lots of clecos.

The Kitfox's are awesome for sure, I am just not much on fabric aircraft. That is 100% only because I have no experience with it, so my opinion does not matter. Lol.
RV8’s are just so dang awesome!
Vans has excellent support like here at DF.
I hope to follow you building someday. :)

dastrups

Good question. Lol.

I had been set on a Van's RV-8 because I wanted something quick, aerobatic, and would be a decent IFR platform, but am a little uncertain about the manhours and financial requirements since I ultimately want to fly the thing in the relatively near future (<4 years). I do a fair bit of grass and short field flying for fun, so I actually built one of the introductory rudder kits for a Zenith 701. The Zenith's construction time appears to be about half or less of the RV-8 and generally simpler in nature. So I may go that route, but it is ultimately not 100% set in stone since I have not sunk much into either route other than plans, basic tooling, and lots of clecos.

The Kitfox's are awesome for sure, I am just not much on fabric aircraft. That is 100% only because I have no experience with it, so my opinion does not matter. Lol.
Well whatever you do I'm sure it will be a sweet experience. I don't have any experience but I do have a dream to fly someday. Good luck on your new adventure!

Brett

Out of curiosity, what do you think the average man hours to completion for the kits you mentioned are?

Lechlis

Out of curiosity, what do you think the average man hours to completion for the kits you mentioned are?
If I were to do the RV-8, it would be a quick build kit. The Van's website has the standard RV-8 listed as 1500-1800 hours and the quick build cuts that by "40-50%". The Zenith is listed as 350-500 hours and assembled with pop rivets unlike the RVs, so you can really get moving with a pneumatic riveter. I take those numbers with a grain of salt.

I think it really comes down to your planning, efficiency, and consistency. Avionics complexity and any modifications from the base kit will add time.

Last edited:

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Good question. Lol.

Its funny. My CH701 project funded my Goblin project.
In all my research and trips to Oshkosh i think the RVs are right under the Glass Airs and composite planes as far as sleek essential. Were that comes at a time cost is they are flush riveted. The 701 is a matter of drill, debur, rivet. RV drill debur then dimple each mating surface and squeeze rivet with special tools.
The CH 701, 801, cruzer are not pretty planes by any stretch of the imagination, but the flight performance is awesome! The 601 is a sleek.. er low wing by CH.
I never fully completed my 701 but it took me about a year of nights and weekends to get the airframe built and I built from scratch. Now they have quick build kits that all the holes are predrilled. Aside from ease of build there are alot of lower cost engine options.... I had a 1.3l suzuki 4 cylinder I was converting.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Wow...almost opposite ends of the spectrum where performance is concerned. The 701 Cruiser has descent speed but it and the other 701 excels at short field unimproved airport stuff. It also seems significantly easier to build. And with the right paint job, the utilitarian look can actually be attractive.

The RV8 - hardly anything bad to say about those.

My $.02, the 701 is like a small useful truc

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Don't know why my original post got cut off, but when I tried to edit, I got the same thing. What I was trying to say -

The 701 is like a small truck and the RV is like a Goblin but can travel (if you pack light).

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
FWIW, I used to work at Glasair back when they had purchased a couple RVs (2013ish), and those went together quickly even compared to the Sportsman builds going through the two weeks to taxi program. I don't know anything about the Glasair II or III, other that Advanced Aero is selling new kits as the G2/G3.

Lechlis

FWIW, I used to work at Glasair back when they had purchased a couple RVs (2013ish), and those went together quickly even compared to the Sportsman builds going through the two weeks to taxi program. I don't know anything about the Glasair II or III, other that Advanced Aero is selling new kits as the G2/G3.
I was wondering where those models went. I see them now on the Advanced Aero website. Interesting. The Glasair and Lancair aircraft are mighty slippery.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Nice. In a month (at least for us in the south) the weather will be too nice to give up the goblin.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
As info, I have removed the sale listings.

I have enjoyed the car more and more over the last month and it just makes since to keep the car at this point.
Glad to hear it. While I will always support those who decide to move on, I would never advise someone to sell their Goblin!!

dastrups

My Dad and I partially restored this 1970 baja bug when I was in high school. I sold it 10 years ago and I will always regret that decision. Not really the same situation but I think you will thank yourself.

Attachments

Lechlis

I almost broke into the 1,000 mile club this weekend!

I feel like the goblin is really starting to find its stride. I have been using the MPVI2 standalone logging feature to log every drive and then make minor tweaks as needed. It really does drive like stock now. No bucking or twitchiness at all. Stoplight to stoplight is a non-issue. Cold starts are great and I have it idling smooth at 800rpm. The break-in oil and filter were changed at 500 miles on the new engine and everything looked wonderful.

I did find out that the Goblin starts to give you hints about being low on fuel during left turns when there is about half a gallon remaining. I was on a curvy backroad and had to gently drive about 5 miles to the nearest gas station where I put in 8.6 gallons.

On another note, I saw this last weekend and thought everyone might enjoy it.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Probably a lot of turbo lag, just keep yur foot in it.
Congrats on getting a good tune. Care to share it here?
I'm playing with a tune for 80lb injectors, but our P12 ECU doesn't have the basic ability, so we have to trick it.

Lechlis

Sure, here you are. This is setup for FIC 650CC injectors. I ended up with these because I wanted to eliminate the multiplier/scaling variable of a larger injector since I was having a tough time with drivability on the new engine after making so many changes. Injector duty cycle is ~65% at 14psi and the timing is relatively conservative. I have made quite a few changes, but they all have a purpose, so feel free to ask why.

I will look at dropping it in the tuning section as I can.

Attachments

Lechlis

Revamp of @r3drckt's LSJ coil cover!

Also, here are @SACTX's aero pieces with a twist. The front splitter wings are not the prettiest right now and I have not ran any CFD. So I am not sure of their effectiveness yet. Designed around 1/8" 6061 aluminum. The holes in the uprights are for support rods running to the hood.

Material has been ordered. I will update with actual pictures when I can.

Files can be found HERE

Last edited: