MisterDave's - Ext. city Goblin - 09 SS/TC donor

MisterDave

I am all caught up on the wiring videos for some time now.... I am waiting for some warmer/sunnier weather to attempt the coolant hose again.
with a little time I decided to take the valve cover off to clean and paint it... can anyone confirm the torque values for bolting it back on? I think I read 89 in lbs?

Last edited:

MisterDave

Finished painting the valve cover. Now to put it back together. I was looking up more about torque values. Here's what Ive found:
Spark plugs: 15 Ft-lbs (180 in-lbs)
Timing chain tensioner: 55 Ft-lbs
Timing chain guide upper bolt: 59 Ft-lbs (Dorman video said to torque Timing chain guide bolt to the spec for the access plug)
Valve Cover: 71 in-lbs (this is for 2.0L engines... 2.2L and 2.4L says 89 in-lbs)

MisterDave

I got the hoses in today!!!
We finally got a warm day here in Rhode Island... almost 70 degrees. I bought a long bit of hose to make sure I had plenty of length and I sat it on the driveway all morning to try to heat it up. Set everything up this afternoon and it pulled through on the first try! glad to get that part done. I have also finished the wiring harness. I'm going slow, but I'm happy with the progress I've made this weekend.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I got the hoses in today!!!
We finally got a warm day here in Rhode Island... almost 70 degrees. I bought a long bit of hose to make sure I had plenty of length and I sat it on the driveway all morning to try to heat it up. Set everything up this afternoon and it pulled through on the first try! glad to get that part done. I have also finished the wiring harness. I'm going slow, but I'm happy with the progress I've made this weekend.
Welcome to the club.

MisterDave

It’s great to finally start putting things into the car. This weekend started following the assembly videos.

Hopefully I’m doing things correctly.
I thought I should also set up the clutch pedal and line. I didn’t find any instructions for this so I’ll post a pic of how I think it should go. Maybe someone could confirm if it’s right before I tighten it down?:

another question is; the clips for the brake lines that screw in with self taping screws... should I include the clutch line in that same clip? So that the brake line and the clutch line are in the same clip?

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Looks good! I like the frame color, it looks like exactly what I plan to have mine coated!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
It’s great to finally start putting things into the car. This weekend started following the assembly videos. View attachment 13613
View attachment 13614
Hopefully I’m doing things correctly.
I thought I should also set up the clutch pedal and line. I didn’t find any instructions for this so I’ll post a pic of how I think it should go. Maybe someone could confirm if it’s right before I tighten it down?:
View attachment 13616
View attachment 13619
another question is; the clips for the brake lines that screw in with self taping screws... should I include the clutch line in that same clip? So that the brake line and the clutch line are in the same clip?
View attachment 13620
You can clip the clutch and brake lines together. They do not surge and should not rub against each other. Some detail oriented people might not approve of it though..... :)

MisterDave

I feel like I being stupid... but I can’t seem to get the large rod ends screwed into the lower control arms. All of the others went in no problem.

I’m starting to wonder if the control arm is reverse threaded.

pretty frustrating.... I think I’m going to have to bring it over to my mechanic friend to get another opinion. This was supposed to be my quick and easy think to get done this morning.

Murcielago311

Contact DF. They should all be LH thread but there are some RH rod-ends floating around in the mix. They sent me a replacement LH rod-end and jam-nut, no problem.

baustin

A couple months ago when building mine I found both lower control arms (I think these were the 2 I had) in my kit were left hand threaded. DF sent matching rod ends to use and I think I sent the unused right hand threaded ones back to them.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
A quick way to check for thread direction.

While looking at the threads, in your mind, visualize turning a bolt in, clockwise, RHT. Do the thread climb up or down? If they are going up, they are pushing your bolt out, when they should be going down /in/tightening, for ckockwise, And... Vise versa.

MisterDave

A couple months ago when building mine I found both lower control arms (I think these were the 2 I had) in my kit were left hand threaded. DF sent matching rod ends to use and I think I sent the unused right hand threaded ones back to them.
A quick way to check for thread direction.

While looking at the threads, in your mind, visualize turning a bolt in, clockwise, RHT. Do the thread climb up or down? If they are going up, they are pushing your bolt out, when they should be going down /in/tightening, for ckockwise, And... Vise versa.
Thank you for the help. I contacted Adam and he is sending me the correct rod ends.

MisterDave

today we mounted the radiator. Now I’m trying to connect the hoses. I didn’t trim the long a shaped hose (like they did in the video) and I think it will work our going from top of the radiator to the drivers side hose.
Now I could use a little help. Which of the hoses pictured am I supposed to cut to fit the lower radiator to passenger side hose? My guess is the top one that is shorter, but it doesn’t really look like the one in the video.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I feel like I being stupid... but I can’t seem to get the large rod ends screwed into the lower control arms. All of the others went in no problem.
View attachment 13664
I’m starting to wonder if the control arm is reverse threaded.
View attachment 13665
pretty frustrating.... I think I’m going to have to bring it over to my mechanic friend to get another opinion. This was supposed to be my quick and easy think to get done this morning.
This may not help you now, but these were left hand threaded for me - the rest are right handed. 1 1/8" wrench for the nut

Murcielago311

On the radiator hoses, I really think the easiest route is to use two Dayco 71796 hoses. One on the passenger side to the top radiator port, one on the driver side to the lower radiator port. Very little trimming required and fewer junctions. But you do have to buy the hoses ($22 for both on Amazon) since I'm pretty sure I used my supplied 71796 for the HE elbows.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The 70846 attaches the passenger side frame rail hose to the lower right radiator inlet.
The 71796 goes from the upper radiator neck down to the driver side frame rail hose.
The 70989 hooks to the rear driver side frame rail hose.
The 22569 routes the coolant from the cylinder head down to the passenger side frame rail hose. (Do not shorten the top of this hose, it needs to be long enough to get around the intake plumbing on the TCs and the Supercharger snout on the SCs)