Off the ranch goblin is for sale!! 25k obo

OptimizePrime

I had some time on my hands for brainless entertainment and went through the painful vlogging videos to see if there was any useful information. Here's what I think I know:

1. The vehicle itself was built by DF, Matt just put on some window dressing in the vids - at least we know it was built to spec and not thrown together with gum and zipties to make a deadline.

2. The 'big turbo and tune' as a comprehensive detailed list of mods (lol) -- Matt drops the Goblin off at DF for them to make some upgrades. Matt obviously has no idea what he got and doesn't mention specifics but he does show the turbo which does not appear to be an EFR or a ZFR turbo. With the reported 329whp (which a stock turbo can do) and Matt mentioning 25psi I'm guessing it's an s252 .... maybe s256 but the numbers would be low. Sitting at 25psi on <350whp likely means that no other upgrades were made to fueling or clutch. It was probably a super safe remote tune so the entertainers wouldn't do any real damage during filming but there's likely a significant amount of power on the table for someone who knows what they're doing.

Raw costs for these TC builds are incredibly tough to do under $20K. Throw on a bigger turbo, tune, wheels etc. $25k, while on the high side for this specific build in product cost, is not totally unreasonable for an initial price point on a turnkey TC. My .02

@Adam @Lonny Can you help this poor guy out with what he bought? How many miles were on the donor when you guys put it together?

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
WOW!

The running gear for Matts goblin originally came from my Orange goblin. It can be seen here.

We built Matts Goblin and then a few weeks later he told us he was going to do a collaboration video with Roman Attwood at a dragstrip. We wanted him to be able to beat Roman's GTR so we installed a ZZP turbo upgrade and took it to Wells Racing Engines chassis dyno, where I use to work, and tuned it. I think it made around 328hp at the tires.

IMG_20170821_130953.jpg

If we sold a factory build turbo goblin it would be easily 30k. This one also has an upgraded turbo and dyno tune.
For comparison, we sell a factory-built base auto for 24k. For somebody wanting a factory-built turbo goblin, this would be a steal at 25K.

It doesn't seem fair to the new owner of this goblin to get bashed, he called us asking us a few questions about Matt's car and said he has had a blast driving it around. He said he has too many hotrods and may eventually sell it.

I suggested that he should list it on our forum and thought everyone would get a kick out of seeing it pop up in the classifieds.
I am embarrassed to see how he was treated!

Lonny

Dale E

Hello, First off, I am not interested in your Goblin, AND I don't own or am I building one.

But, thank you, it was nice of you to inform the Goblin forum of your potential sale. The forum, however, is not the place to sell it, since those on the forum are mostly building to enjoy the journey, have some fun afterwards, and find out all the registration rules that may or may not allow them to enjoy them, have it as a father son/daughter quality experience, or just find out more about what they can personally achieve. It is nice of those who have gone before you to notify the Goblin folks of their desires to sell, and specify the reasons for doing so; ie, job changes, registration/tagging issues, life changes, medical reason.

May I suggest placing it for sale in a local area listing, Bring-A-Trailer, Ebay, car magazines, Hemmings motors ads and others (all of these ads you can list a reserve price or list it with no reserve price). Perhaps a local car dealer would help with a consignment deal. Support the ads with specifics, detailed pictures and videos to watch, historical prominence, DF Kit website for origin, miles driven, where located (for shipping purposes), and other pertinent details. Willingness to deliver might catch a buyers eye.

There are quite a few Goblins currently for sale and the Goblin community will be willing to spread the word that there is another one for sale. We would certainly need to know where it is located to help target an audience, since with the Covid travel restrictions as they are, it would help not to send someone from California to Florida to purchase a vehicle right now. But, if someone is only a county or state away, it might increase the chances. A potential buyer might like to see one in person, so location would help with that also?

If, I've been out-of-line with this post, I apologize!!

Dale
StalkerV6 SC
Birkin S3
1971 Lotus Europa

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
It was given to Matt for free to publicize the kit for DF
It was not given to Matt for free. Not sure where you came up with that information @Mayor West

I'm not interested in sharing the price he paid for the Goblin (and I don't think he would want info like that shared) but I can tell you that for the upgraded turbo kit from ZZP, their remote tune and installation of the turbo kit, he paid the full price.

2. The 'big turbo and tune' as a comprehensive detailed list of mods (lol) -- Matt drops the Goblin off at DF for them to make some upgrades. Matt obviously has no idea what he got and doesn't mention specifics but he does show the turbo which does not appear to be an EFR or a ZFR turbo. With the reported 329whp (which a stock turbo can do) and Matt mentioning 25psi I'm guessing it's an s252 .... maybe s256 but the numbers would be low. Sitting at 25psi on <350whp likely means that no other upgrades were made to fueling or clutch. It was probably a super safe remote tune so the entertainers wouldn't do any real damage during filming but there's likely a significant amount of power on the table for someone who knows what they're doing.

Raw costs for these TC builds are incredibly tough to do under $20K. Throw on a bigger turbo, tune, wheels etc. $25k, while on the high side for this specific build, is not totally unreasonable for an initial price point on a turnkey TC. My .02

@Adam @Lonny Can you help this poor guy out with what he bought? How many miles were on the donor when you guys put it together?
Here's the information from back when the turbo and tune were purchased. We selected a ZFR turbo for Matt but to be honest, I don't know if I could identify one by sight.

Here's the turbo we pulled off next to the turbo we installed:

You're right about the tune being conservative but one factor that needs to be taken into account is that the car was on the dyno in August in Texas. Also, the dyno we used tends to show conservative numbers compared to others in the area which is alright because it is used as a tuning tool for dirt track cars and not for getting the biggest numbers possible for bragging rights. With the way it pulled on Roman's GTR, I wouldn't care what the numbers say.

Mayor West

I read it on these forums that both the Goonzquad & Off The Ranch were given goblin kits in return for promotional videos to help sell kits o_O

OptimizePrime

Here's the information from back when the turbo and tune were purchased. We selected a ZFR turbo for Matt but to be honest, I don't know if I could identify one by sight.

View attachment 16073

Here's the turbo we pulled off next to the turbo we installed:

View attachment 16074

You're right about the tune being conservative but one factor that needs to be taken into account is that the car was on the dyno in August in Texas. Also, the dyno we used tends to show conservative numbers compared to others in the area which is alright because it is used as a tuning tool for dirt track cars and not for getting the biggest numbers possible for bragging rights. With the way it pulled on Roman's GTR, I wouldn't care what the numbers say.
Great info! I think that's super helpful for the purchaser. Turbo link below - it's a Z54 journal bearing edition of the ZFR6758. The 6758 can safely go into the 400's at the wheels with light supporting mods and a strong tune on good gas if more power is necessary. In other words, this turbo will spool a little slower than a stock k04 but has a LOT more potential throughout the power curve even as it sits at 328whp. In the vids, you can tell the turbo lag is not a real world issue. This build IS fast and well put together, no doubt.

https://zzperformance.com/products/zzp-z54-turbo?_pos=7&_sid=8de6dc08b&_ss=r

I'll bow out from here, good luck with the sale!

Edit: Like most folks here, I want these builds to sell for $50K ...so I'm in the same camp in that $25K is a steal!!

Last edited:

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
In my first post about the Off the Ranch Goblin I mentioned that we sold our donor equipment to Matt. So at the very least it was known that the SS/TC donor equipment wasn't free.

Both YouTube channels received discounted kits and services. They didn't get the kits for free.

Mayor West

I stand corrected, and I am sorry that I am a grumpy piece of shit. I think many of us are just bitter jerks and have no excuse for our actions.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
If more people list their Goblins here, it will attract more traffic to the forum from others who would not normally visit.

If there is more traffic from others, there will be more competition for the purchases.

If there is more competition to buy, the prices will go up.

If the prices go up, we all feel good about our blood, sweat, time, and monetary investments.

If we all feel better about our Goblins, others will sense that and more will want to buy and build one.

If more people buy a Goblin, Lonny and family will be financially blessed and continue to make and support Goblins.

As long as DF makes Goblins and gives support, our toys are valuable.

As long as Goblins are valuable, we can sleep well at night.

If we sleep well, we can give a moose a muffin.....

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

AZmoto

As a potential Goblin buyer/builder i have to agree with Lonny's sentiments.

And why isn't a Goblin forum the proper place to list a Goblin for sale? If it's against DF's rules that's one thing but there have been plenty listed for sale. It's one of the reasons I monitor these forums. I may build one or I may buy one completed if it has the right specs. In fact I would be very interested in this one if it were an extended frame version.

ARabidNull

I really wish I had the money to buy this Goblin but I can't purchase this one *and* build my own, which is what I really want to do. I'm probably overselling my cash flow, I doubt I could pay a fair amount for this car.

However, I do really appreciate how Lonny and Adam have handled this. I've lurked in a lot of car forums over the last couple of years and most are toxic. How this was handled just makes me want to get a kit even more.

Applebeeusmc

Has this sold?
I am in northern Alabama and interested just don't know what the alabama state laws are regarding things like this.