r3drckt - extended track - 06 SS/SC G85

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Side intakes? Can you elaborate? Interested to see what you idea is and where/how you will mount them? I'm still kicking ideas around for intercooler heat exchanger side intakes - I posted my first idea in my build log in case you're interested. :D
I followed @Tinkles idea and had a fab shop bend dom steel tubing to match the frame material and fab up some scoops. They direct the air towards the engine area and mounted low on each side. He used a motorcycle radiator for his. I used the original SC HE that DF provides, had them add a second one to my order, and will be running them in series initially to see what my IATs are with the z57 Turbo. If it doesn’t seem like it’s worth having them in series, then I will split it into 2 separate loops for the dual pass and see how that behaves. If it’s still not worth it, then one will become an oil cooler potentially and the other will stay the SC HE. Considered relocating the radiator in one of the intakes so I could close off the front end (minimizing lift) but that might be a last hoorah thing.

Car is buried at the moment so tried getting better pictures. I had him make the scoop turn before the rear subframe mount so that way it clears the rear wheels.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Nice! Dual heat exchangers should keep your intercooler coolant temps - and IATs - within check no problem. The differing schools of thought, series or parallel coolers, may come down to your best experience. Once you get there - which will be waaay before I get to that point - can you post some info about which coolant flow method works best for you. Some of us will also be running dual coolers and your lesson learned will be a big help.. Thanks! :D

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Nice! Dual heat exchangers should keep your intercooler coolant temps - and IATs - within check no problem. The differing schools of thought, series or parallel coolers, may come down to your best experience. Once you get there - which will be waaay before I get to that point - can you post some info about which coolant flow method works best for you. Some of us will also be running dual coolers and your lesson learned will be a big help.. Thanks! :D
Definitely will! At the rate I’ve been going, I’m not sure if I’ll have it done this winter or not. Since weather has come back in check, it’s tolerable to stay in the garage for more than an hour to work on it. Now it’s finding time to do the work that’s a challenge. Your new house will be ready soon, no? How soon until you get yours out of storage and working on it?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
We get the keys to the new house right before Thanksgiving, so we will be moving then. Guessing I have several weeks of painting, making upgrades that we couldn't get as options on the new house and generally getting things ship shape to meet my wife's approval. :rolleyes: So my best guess is likely after the first of the year to start working on my Goblin again. Thanks for asking, and I will be following your build closely. ;)

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
In case anyone wanted to know, the VIN of the donor should match the block if it’s an original engine. The VIN can be found on the side where the starter goes:
FB54D24B-E44C-412B-AEAF-CDB62FF56C13.jpeg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Looks clean enough to eat off of ;) looks great! Will all of the plumbing clear the frame tubes? Guessing you've already planned that out, will be interesting to see how it all fits. :p

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Looks clean enough to eat off of ;) looks great! Will all of the plumbing clear the frame tubes? Guessing you've already planned that out, will be interesting to see how it all fits. :p
Thanks! I’m thinking the intake tube won’t fit based on the images I’ve seen recently for the TC guys. If not, I’ll cut the bends out of the tube, leaving the MAF in the straight section and have the filter come straight out of the turbo until I replumb everything. The top one I think will clear fine, but we’ll see.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
In case anyone else goes this route, ZZP’s website says for a turbo swapped LSJ with an ATI Underdrive pulley and AC Compressor delete to use their gates 345 series belt. Well, that’s what I bought and it was too loose. It measures 35 1/4” in length. Went to Autozone and got a 34” length belt and it fits perfect. Part number is below
9F7500B3-884D-4CF6-8200-44F2DF41F370.jpeg

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Another productive night on the engine work.

Tasks Completed:
Dismounted engine from stand
Installed rear main seal
Installed new flywheel
Installed new clutch
Installed new throw out bearing
Installed new clutch pipe
Installed new starter
Painted the transmission
Mated the transmission to the engine (yes, I remembered the spacer plate)

Hoping the harbor freight dolly holds up until I get the engine in the chassis. It’s a lot of weight on it and it might be over it’s limit a smidge.

Tasks still to do:
Install external oil cooler plate on engine
Install injector insulators
Install injectors
Install fuel rail
Install/plumb BRFP regulator
Install new bearing on half shaft and install that
Acquire and install a M12x1.75 to barb fitting in the oil drain port to connect the turbo oil return line to
Reinstall the engine harness (would like to strip the old plastic loom off and put new on it so it looks nicer with the engine)

E5EEEECA-F7AC-45EF-B9FB-E36122198B0F.jpeg
0AA2E068-2FBE-40C4-A31A-05646646CF23.jpeg
9771CD6C-A05F-49E5-A733-B1847D7E6913.jpeg
76192887-8D85-4996-8444-B58B7544AE70.jpeg
DA0C3028-6EB2-4FCE-9B80-5AA5A56219E6.jpeg
36858C0B-5543-4EE6-8598-24947B65FA22.jpeg
D4214082-48B8-4B88-BB4C-C76CA5DBEFE2.jpeg

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
If a part was oily and needed to go back on, it got hit with a soaking of Zepp industrial degreaser from a spray bottle, then followed up with a scrub of a Zepp industrial degreaser wipe (has a scrub side on the wipe). Anything that didn’t come clean enough after that was spray painted to hide the ugly :p

PaulPerger

That's the kit I am thinking about doing. I am glad to see it installed on a motor out of the car... It looks very well done!

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
That's the kit I am thinking about doing. I am glad to see it installed on a motor out of the car... It looks very well done!
Thank you! The instructions are lack luster to say the least. We’ll see how well those tubes fit in the chassis next haha.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
If you are still looking for an adapter, this is the m12x1.75 adapter I used for oil gauge sensors on my motor. Then you could get a 1/8thx27npt threaded barb to go into it.

AUTO METER 2278 Metric Adapter/Electric Temperature https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIJ39O/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_WEDWGXBHVKQFJSGDY39Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I messaged ZZP with my order number saying I had the fitting to tap the oil pan and thought they switched to the drain plug adapter after my order, asked if I could buy just the adapter. They said they switched to the drain plug adapter before my order so I received the wrong part. Mailed out the correct adapter free of charge. Should be here Monday. Thanks though!