Remote tuning

Ross

Goblin Guru
Rttoys and I are going to get his engine tuned.
We both have 2006 LSJs, so we should be able to share files.
This thread is open to anyone, but the 2 of us are just starting this.
I have never remote tuned, but am willing to try.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Need to list engine mods.

At the moment, mine is “stock”, but being on the goblin, I have the standard K&N intake and high flow exhaust.

future mods:
60# injectors
2.8” pulley

Ross

Goblin Guru
Some of the basics:

1. Install a wideband O2 sensor (and optionally a gauge).
2. Get a laptop or tablet that runs Windows (Not Windows CE, as the Compact Edition is not supported by HP Tuners.)
3. Buy HP Tuners with 2 credits for your Goblin.

Wideband basics:

A wideband oxygen sensor in the exhaust is the way I tune an engine. You can do some tuning with the narrowband oxygen sensor that came with the LSJ engine, but it isn't the best way to tune.

So buy and install a wideband O2 sensor. I bought a:
- AEM 30-0300 X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge $162 (in 2019, now $185)
but there is probably newer ones out there. One feature you want is to be able to log the wideband to HP Tuner log files. So serial output or Canbus connectivity is important. My 2006 LSJ doesn't have the wideband connected to the AC Pressure sensor (which is on Canbus), so I went with a serial connection.

To get the serial connection to my log file, I bought:
- F-ber Connector DB9 RS232 Female Serial 9 Pin Port DB9 $8 (the AEM wideband serial data wires go to this)
- TRENDnet USB to Serial Converter, Connect a RS-232 Serial Device to a USB 2.0 Port, TU-S9 $13
- A Tripp Lite USB to Serial Converter is more reliable than that TRENDnet converter, to get the wideband serial data to my laptop's USB port.

The wideband O2 sensor goes in the exhaust pipe. The factory narrowband O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold/header stays, but the next O2 sensor is the post-catalytic converter O2 sensor, which we will remove, and put in our wideband sensor. It goes in the exhaust pipe bung:

To make my O2 sensor last longer, and not overheat, I also bought this Kinugawa Thermo-Isolating O2 Bungs (Screw In). $32, but I could have welded an new bung further away from the exhaust ports, where the black circle is in the picture.

The AEM kit came with wires from the O2 sensor, that run up to the dash gauge. Mount the AEM gauge, wire it, according to the directions in the kit. Add the RS232 connector wiring too.

After you get a wideband running you can see if your engine is running rich or lean in real time, while driving. Great for debugging and seeing if your engine is running right.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
My wideband sensor recommended at least 18" away from the exhaust ports. Closer gives less lag in your O2 readings, but also gets the sensor hotter, which shortens its life. Dyno tuner guys just stick it in the end of the tail pipe, as they are tuning for wide open throttle, and don't care about lag.

Oh, make sure your exhaust gaskets are in good shape. If they are leaking, then it throws off the O2 sensor readings.
After I replaced my gaskets, I had to retune my whole engine. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Need to list engine mods.

At the moment, mine is “stock”, but being on the goblin, I have the standard K&N intake and high flow exhaust.

future mods:
60# injectors
2.8” pulley
Well I am right there with you. My LSJ is stock. Spent the last year debugging the Goblin engine and suspension.
I have bought
82# injectors Here is a good article on injectors for the LSJ.
2.9" pulley
2.7" pulley (E85 tune)
oversize belt idler pulley,
and a shorter belt.

Plan to put them on soon, but wanted my engine tuned well before any modifications. It is tuned, so I am ready to start mods.

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I guess I will be jumping in to this tuning thing. Disappointed in what I got from ZZP it has good acceleration but everyday drive ability is not there.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I guess I will be jumping in to this tuning thing. Disappointed in what I got from ZZP it has good acceleration but everyday drive ability is not there.
So you have a 2009 2.2L supercharged? Does it have port injection, or direct injection? You also have the newer PCM... not a P12?
This will add some new discovery for us both. We will need to do some reading.
Do you have a stock wideband O2 sensor, or will you be buying an aftermarket one?

Ross

Goblin Guru
You can also install the free HP Tuners software: VCM Suite (which is VCM Editor and VCM Scanner) on your Windows computer.
We can compare my 2 tunes, and see the differences in VCM Editor. Ask questions guys!

You can get registered, and see what files in the HP Tuners repository are available for your car.
The repository has stock tunes and modified tunes available to download.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
I used the port already on the DF supplied exhaust. I don't leave the O2 sensor in there, just long enough for the tuning sessions.
I leave mine in there. Why take it out? Do you put the stock post-catalytic O2 sensor back in there?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
So you have a 2009 2.2L supercharged? Does it have port injection, or direct injection? You also have the newer PCM... not a P12?
This will add some new discovery for us both. We will need to do some reading.
Do you have a stock wideband O2 sensor, or will you be buying an aftermarket one?
2.2 VVT
3.0 Pulley
60lb Injectors
LSJ throttlebody
This is my Wide Band I have it hooked to the serial output so I can data log it in HPT. ( I'm pretty sure that the guy from ZZP did not even care that it was being logged.)
I need to get the dual pass or this winter make something similar to This single pass setup The cooler is doing a decent job but I am heat soaking it after long runs.

KSLunsfo

Sadly that's the case with many tuning facilities. The WOT tuning is the easiest thing for them to complete and they don't tend to concern themselves with the low load and transitional areas of the maps (the more difficult/timely part). Perhaps this is due in part to the fact that most of their customers are driving relatively stock cars that have only a bump in overall power while not effecting the lower load parts of the maps as much. I'm sure at special request and for another fee they might tune the other areas as well assuming they have a steady state/inertia dyno...

That being said, there's nothing special about ZZP, they just have more exposure to the GM platform. Internal combustion principles remain the same regardless of the vehicle, fuel and ignition in a nutshell. There are likely numerous tuners out there that can provide as good or better tunes than ZZP. Once you're familiar with the particular software it's really all the same...

I like to see you guys pursuing tuning yourselves.

Ross

Goblin Guru
2.2 VVT
3.0 Pulley
60lb Injectors
LSJ throttlebody
This is my Wide Band I have it hooked to the serial output so I can data log it in HPT. ( I'm pretty sure that the guy from ZZP did not even care that it was being logged.)
I need to get the dual pass or this winter make something similar to This single pass setup The cooler is doing a decent job but I am heat soaking it after long runs.
It will be interesting to see your current tune. We have the same wideband, I leave mine in lambda setting. 0.8 is running rich, 1.1 is lean.
Have you ordered or do you have MPVI 2? HP Tuners is still claiming they will enable Pro features, but it has been years, so I don't hold your breath, and I don't recommend you buy it. If it worked, then it might be worth the extra $$$.

Indy Lonnie

Disappointed in what I got from ZZP it has good acceleration but everyday drive ability is not there.
Was your tuning a remote tune? I couldn't be happier with the dyno tune I got from ZZP. Al @ZZP spent alot of time tuning in WOT and overall drivability...