Remote tuning

Ross

Goblin Guru
The connector basically tells you which way they are facing. Keep the connector as perpendicular with the engine as possible. You can see the split pattern on the end of the injector. Install them just like you would a normal injector, but just keep they perpendicular as there is nothing to lock them into that position. Once they are installed, the o-ring pretty much holds them in place.
Good to know. Thanks Chad.

I thought the same thing and was trying to wrap my head around it all. Which way is the correct way and everyone was arguing about it, I never knew for sure. When I talked to my tuner, he acted like you don't need to do any of that junk, just tune the VE table. Since I'm using the boost referenced fuel pressure system, my fuel delivery over the entire MAP range is pretty much the same value since the fuel pressure compensates for the changes in MAP. So I just entered 62.5 lb/hr over the whole range of Flow Rate vs KPA. I left all of the modifiers alone other than the Min PW and Short Pulse. But I'm using 60 lb/hr injectors so technically is correct. But what was really throwing me is the rating of the injectors, is that 60 lb/hr at 3 bar or 4 bar fuel pressure???? I assumed they are rated at 3 bar but our fuel pressure is at 4 bar, so is a 60 lb/hr actually delivering say 72 lb/hr? If that's the case, will your 80 lb/hr be delivering 95 lb/hr at 4 bar? I tried emailing the guy at Injector Connections where I got them but I could quickly tell he was a dumb ass and knew nothing about it and didn't want to be bothered with tuning questions.
I notice that a lot of tunes just blank out (or set to 1x) the whole table. Defeats the whole purpose of the table!
Yes you can still get it to run by adjusting the VE and MAF tables, but when something changes the engine won't be able to compensate.
If your whole flow rate vs KPA table is 62.5 lb/hr, and you tuned the engine on a low pressure day, the engine can't compensate for a high pressure day.
If my whole "Flow rate multiplier vs Volts" table is set to 1.56x, then the engine can't compensate for different voltages.

Anyhow, I was hoping to tune my "Flow rate vs KPA" table, by starting with a properly tuned stock engine, then changing only the injectors, and modifying the "Flow rate vs KPA" table with any wideband O2 errors that I logged.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I notice that a lot of tunes just blank out (or set to 1x) the whole table. Defeats the whole purpose of the table!

If my whole "Flow rate multiplier vs Volts" table is set to 1.56x, then the engine can't compensate for different voltages.
The stock Flow Rate Mult vs Volts is set to 1.0 in all cells. So it's not really being used in stock form. Typically it's only going to run on the last two cells, 12 and 13V. You could adjust those below it some if you really wanted.

If your whole flow rate vs KPA table is 62.5 lb/hr, and you tuned the engine on a low pressure day, the engine can't compensate for a high pressure day.
That table is adjusting for the flow rates at different manifold pressures, not necessarily ambient baro pressures. As ambient baro pressures change, so will the manifold pressure which is what the fuel pressure regulator is referencing and adjusting the fuel pressure. So the boost pressure regulator basically negates the reason for having a table (range) and could get by with just a static value.

Anyhow, I was hoping to tune my "Flow rate vs KPA" table, by starting with a properly tuned stock engine, then changing only the injectors, and modifying the "Flow rate vs KPA" table with any wideband O2 errors that I logged.
Ah! If only all of this were that easy it would take all the fun out out it! The Flow rate vs KPA would be best to determine using calibrated flow equipment. But for some reason trying to get that information is next to impossible. The info I got for my injectors didn't fit my tables and rendered it useless. The tuner I was using seemed to be in the know about a lot of the injector companies and he was telling me how Injector Connections basically just stole the information from other injector companies and didn't do their own flow testing. Which I would believe after trying to engage in a technical conversation with them.

SACTX

I ended up getting HP Tuners because of the work I was going to be doing and worked on Jason's car (transferring a tune). I just changed plans and will be adding a HTV1320 once I'm running and stable. I have been looking through posts on HPT forums and looking at tuning videos. You can be sure I'll be following this thread as well and it's comforting to know we have a few gurus in the group...

95Blitz

Just ordered my HP Tuners for the build. I'm going to be data logging the factory tune so I can compare the before and after upgrades.

Maybe we could get a new sub forum just for tuning.

95Blitz

Could we get a list going of what is the minimum things we need to datalog and maybe even place them in the same order. That way when we share files it will be easier to follow for the new guys to using HP T. (Yeah Me Right Now.)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Got my hp tuners a week ago or so, it I don’t have a laptop and since every kid in the world needs one for school now, it’ll be a few weeks before mine arrives. No biggie.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Could we get a list going of what is the minimum things we need to datalog and maybe even place them in the same order. That way when we share files it will be easier to follow for the new guys to using HP T. (Yeah Me Right Now.)
This might not be the minimum list, and it is for my 2006, but here is the PIDs that I log:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Ron, The PIDs you sent me were for your 2009 2.2 LT? Do you have a log file? This forum supports *.hpl (log files) and *.hpt (tune files).
Your car has a lot of PIDs that aren't available on my 2006. Would be nice to have oil pressure, oil temp, etc. All the grayed out ones aren't available to me, and even some black ones (like Engine Oil Pressure) don't work on my LSJ, as the 06 engine only has an oil switch, which turn on the idiot light below a preset oil pressure (25 PSI?).

Anyhow, I am including 3 screen shots of the PIDs, as it is a good example of things to log.

I zipped up the files you sent me, and added an .hpl extensions (to trick the forum) so I could post them here, and people can download your PID settings for VCM Scanner.

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
A standard basic list is a good idea. The first one Ross posted is a great start and as he mentioned, different cars have different PIDs available to log. After connecting to the MPVI2 the first time, you can scan for the PIDs that are available. As much as one would like to just scan everything, you can't have your cake and eat it too. The more PIDs, the more data that has to be captured. The more data that has to be captured, there is a delay and limit to the amount of data. In best practice, scan all that you need but not everything

Anks329

This is a simple question, but can I get a picture of where the wideband O2 sensor is installed versus the existing O2 sensor?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
This is a simple question, but can I get a picture of where the wideband O2 sensor is installed versus the existing O2 sensor?
Just downstream of the existing O2. Sorry I don’t have a photo yet. Look under the DF exhaust and you see it on the driver side of the inlet pipe.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Here is some pics with the parts off my car. The 2 bungs are only 6 inches apart, and you could put them in either spot,
but I left the stock O2 sensor in the stock location.

The exhaust manifold (or header) gets the stock chevy narrow band O2 sensor.

The muffler gets my wideband. (Right side of pic)

Or the arrow in this picture, as viewed from under the muffler.

Anks329

Weird... there’s no spot for a sensor in the manifold. I’ve got a spot in the DF exhaust where I have the narrowband stock sensor in place. Looked at the donor pictures as I was taking it apart, and the exhaust itself had two sensors, one before and one after the cat converter. I guess the LS model is different than the the other models?

Ross

Goblin Guru
My SS had two stock O2 sensors as well, but since we don't use the cat converter, there is no purpose in having a sensor after it.
The stock engine would add fuel if the post cat O2 sensor was detecting fumes, as this allowed the cat to get hotter, and work correctly.
I have disabled this in HP Tuners.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Weird... there’s no spot for a sensor in the manifold. I’ve got a spot in the DF exhaust where I have the narrowband stock sensor in place. Looked at the donor pictures as I was taking it apart, and the exhaust itself had two sensors, one before and one after the cat converter. I guess the LS model is different than the the other models?
The base models did not have a bung in the exhaust manifold. See attached.

Attachments