Sneak Peek - Goblin V2

Dsteinhorst

I have a great idea for a secondary donor! It needs to fit the affordability and availability category that the GTI does not.

Make and model: Ford Fiesta
Year available: 2011-2019 (6th gen in US market)
Turbocharged (yes/no): Three engine options. Two turbocharged!
Base HP: 115-197
Tuned HP on pump gas without internal mods: 275+
Auto trans option (yes/no): Yes, with N/A engine. Maybe with turbo engine with a bit of work. Side note: the 6 speed dual clutch may be known for it's issues, but is actually a competent gearbox when driven hard.
Tuning and mod support (yes/no): Yes, Cobb is the big name, but there are several others.
Availability: Over a million sold in US alone over its 10 year life.

LLBenJ

Make and model - VW GTI MK7 and MK7.5
Year available - 2015 thru 2021
Donors available for less than $3000
Turbocharged (yes/no) - Yes
Base HP - 228 for the 2020 year model
Tuned HP on pump gas without internal mods - 340 WHP (unconfirmed from website) https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw-audi-mqb-2-0t-mk7-8v/products/cobb-accessport-v3-dsg-vw-mqb-gti-r-gli-ea888-2-0tsi
Auto trans option (yes/no) - DSG Automatic (AWESOME!) 8 millisecond upshift times and rev match on downshifts.
Tuning and mod support (yes/no) - Yes https://mygolfmk7.com/2021/02/best-is20-stage-2-tune-options/

View attachment 44566
Lonny

2.3L Ecoboost not an option based on RWD/AWD layouts of donors?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The focus RS has a 2.0 Ecoboost that would work. I have not researched availability or donor cost.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I wonder what it’s going to take to get some of the more modern donors to run with so much of it set up with interconnected modules? At some point it might be easier to set them up with aftermarket controllers.

Jason d

Lonnie, you and your team at DF are the best, but the affordability of the Goblin and the donors was a huge factor for me and many others. I urge you to stay the course and make V2 be just as accessible!
You gotta remember that most of the build will be already assembled, costing more due to labor and bills and everything else.

plus all the money used on trial and error and creating v2

LLBenJ

Make and model: Honda - 1.5T L15B7 (Honda Civic, CR-V and Accord)
Year available: 2016 to present
Turbocharged (yes/no): Yes - one option - turbocharged
Base HP: 174-205
Tuned HP on pump gas without internal mods: Two Step offers a Stage 1 tune that will render 219 whp and 258 tq
Auto trans option (yes/no): Yes - 6-speed manual or CVT
Tuning and mod support (yes/no): Yes, multiple vendors and strong aftermarket support
Availability: 3 million cars with this powertrain sold in US since 2016

Honda 1.5T

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
knowing how and why the cobalt was picked for V1, it’s a tall order to make V2 better.

if you want a LS platform the Pontiac grand prix GXP, could work. Front wheel drive powered by a LS4.

drink‘n on some ideas a few weeks ago with a friend of mine, the AWD “goblin” came up. If we could get the power output higher, the Yamaha YXZ 1000r turbo would be an awesome doner. It’s already rear engine and 4wd, electric power steering, manual sequential trans with computer controlled launch control. Stock out of the box they are mid 100hp range and will do 85mph, speed limited. The limiter can be tuned around as well as performance goodies. the YXZ weighs 1600#, so shaving weight will be difficult, but the wide stance would add stability. This could be a hell of a autocross car, but probably limited on big tracks. Even in stock form it should be able to run freeway speeds with ease. They get rolled or “stolen” often, so there’s plenty of them at insurance auctions. Well at least some. :D

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You gotta remember that most of the build will be already assembled, costing more due to labor and bills and everything else.

plus all the money used on trial and error and creating v2
The decision to pre-assemble the suspension and brakes was mostly to lower the kit cost and allow builders to focus on the more enjoyable portions of the build.

I know for some builders, suspension and brakes are just another step in the build but for many, it can be the end of their build. We have a lot of feedback from our builders and the top hangups are.

Electrical
Brakes - leaks
Suspension - handling

Some of our builders would prefer to have a box of engine parts to be put together, a transmission with a new LSD ready to be installed, a bunch of tubing ready to be welded into a frame, and fiberglass and resin for molding into body parts. But most would rather the kit be simplified. Quite a few would prefer to buy a completed Goblin.

We may decide to offer some completely unassembled kits but it will likely come with some added costs.

This windshield may fit the Goblin V1. It will be close to the same shape. The front of Goblin V2 is much wider than V1.

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The decision to pre-assemble the suspension and brakes was mostly to lower the kit cost and allow builders to focus on the more enjoyable portions of the build.

I know for some builders, suspension and brakes are just another step in the build but for many, it can be the end of their build. We have a lot of feedback from our builders and the top hangups are.

Electrical
Brakes - leaks
Suspension - handling

Some of our builders would prefer to have a box of engine parts to be put together, a transmission with a new LSD ready to be installed, a bunch of tubing ready to be welded into a frame, and fiberglass and resin for molding into body parts. But most would rather the kit be simplified. Quite a few would prefer to buy a completed Goblin.

We may decide to offer some completely unassembled kits but it will likely come with some added costs.
I gotta admit, that is super-weird to me. I understand that it's true but I wish I understood the logic/reason behind it.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

Electrical
Brakes - leaks
Suspension - handling

I have quietly laughed a few times at the struggles some builders have had. I watched the original videos, paused and rewound when necessary, and built my goblin in three weeks. Heck. The video series was not even complete back then. I did not stray from the planned course. I thought Lonny made it so easy. I even got to like the associated background music, which was kind of odd. Maybe a “test” could be given where a box of Lego’s must be assembled via their ‘No words and pictures only instructions’ prior to accepting a Goblin kit order. Regardless of where DF ventures in the future with V2.0, it will be second guessed and questioned. Get on the DF train, or get off.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I have quietly laughed a few times at the struggles some builders have had. I watched the original videos, paused and rewound when necessary, and built my goblin in three weeks. Heck. The video series was not even complete back then. I did not stray from the planned course. I thought Lonny made it so easy. I even got to like the associated background music, which was kind of odd. Maybe a “test” could be given where a box of Lego’s must be assembled via their ‘No words and pictures only instructions’ prior to accepting a Goblin kit order. Regardless of where DF ventures in the future with V2.0, it will be second guessed and questioned. Get on the DF train, or get off.
Absolutely. More parts assembled by DF means less margin for error. Probably a wise decision.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta admit, that is super-weird to me. I understand that it's true but I wish I understood the logic/reason behind it.
It is weird. LOL

But if you think about it, we have been preassembling parts of the Goblin to save our customers time and money with Goblin V1.
We are trying to improve our kit by sliding the preassembly further to the finish line.

If we offered an unwelded frame kit, would it be more or less expensive for us to produce?
There is a lot to consider.

Do we test-fit each tube in a jig before shipping?
Do we put a placement label on each tube?
How does the customer assemble the tubes? There are 17 different jigs we use to align the frame while welding.
We could send jig kits, but those must be welded and bolted together.
We would need to create the jig kit and assembly instructions for the jig kits.
We would need to create the frame kit and assembly instructions for the frame kit.
We currently use the frame as the shipping container, so we must design and build shipping containers big enough to enclose the main hoop and lower floor bars, nose engine cover, and the rest of the kit.
Do we make videos showing how to remove a tab and blend the area when they weld something incorrectly?

There are also added costs to an unwelded frame that the builder has to include.
Buying a welding machine or paying a skilled welder.
Purchasing replacement tubes or tabs for mistakes made during welding.

Would critics of the Goblin feel our product is better quality and easier to assemble with or without a welded frame?
Would this be better for the bulk of our Goblin community?
Would more Goblins be completed?

Would critics of the Goblin feel our product is better quality and easier to assemble with or without the suspension and brakes preassembled?
Would this be better for the bulk of our Goblin community?
Would more Goblins be completed?

13 Gallons

snirtman

It is possible the winshield will be close enough to fit. We will see when we get to that point.
Thanks for the reply @Lonny ! If you're not too far along in the design process, maybe the rear of the V2 hood could be massaged enough to make the new windshield retrofit to V1 cars? (Please, please, please!) Several of us need a glass windshield to be street legal, and its the only reason my car isn't yet.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Information -
VAG Mk7 (Mk7.5) platforms:
2012 - 2021 North America, Europe, Asia, South America, Mexico (different years for different regions) - but 2015 - 2021 for USA

Compatible VAG platforms:
VW Golf/GTI
VW Jetta/Bora/GLI
(VW Tiguan - drivetrain?)
Audi A3
Audi TT
Seat Leon
Skoda Octavia

Platform engines (USA):
1.4L TSI
1.8L TSI
2.0L TSI
2.0L TDI (diesel)

Platform transmissions (USA):
6 Spd Manual
6 Spd DSG (Auto)
7 Spd DSG ( Auto)

Production (USA):
2015 - 2021 Golf 310,000+
2015 - 2021 Jetta 703,000+
Total 1,013,000+
[2015 - 2021 Golf (Europe) 2,263,000+]
1 mil+ is a good starting point! More available donors will keep resale price of wrecks down and parts availability up! Unit Production too low would drive down donor availability and lowers availability of repair and used parts.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I haven’t followed the Fwd platforms to know enough to know what is available with good power at low cost. But if talking front engine RWD, nothing beats LS for compactness, simplicity, and power potential.
The "yeah buts" for the Coyote are that it used those "veryspecialnewidea" OHC just like the 1912 Peugeot! Strange that my2002 Godzilla 7.3 Ford Gas motor uses those gawdawful push rods! And a Coyote doesn't come in just anything like the LS that came in Vans to Corvettes and even Isuzu cab over trucks. (Cashet can be expensive but has it's appeal.)

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Let's try to move forward and focus on the kit, not the comments. If you guys find 50 things wrong with Goblin V2, that means we designed 9,950 things right. LOL, The forum has toughened our skin over the years.

I hoped I would wake up to a flood of potential donors this morning; we all have our favorite engine/trans package.
It will be awesome to have two donor choices.

Even if they don't make the cut, it will be nice for you guys to way in with your favorite, so let's see them!

View attachment 44574
Really like seeing this evolution of the Goblin. Awesome work guys!
Are there plans for a heat extraction shroud between the radiator and the hood vent?
Front sway bar, nice add!

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Make and model - VW Jetta/Rabbit/Passat with the 07K 5-cylinder engine
Year available - MK5 and MK6 - 2005-2014
[ BGP/BGQ/BPR/BPS: Volkswagen Jetta (2005–2007), Volkswagen New Beetle (2006–2011), Volkswagen Rabbit (Golf Mk5) (2006–2007).
CBT/CBU: Volkswagen Beetle (A5) (2012–2014), Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010–2014), Volkswagen Jetta (2008–2013), Volkswagen Passat (2012–2014) ]
Donors available for less than $3000
Turbocharged (yes/no) - No - but strong aftermarket with bolt-on turbo options including tuning.
Base HP - 150 or 170
Tuned HP on pump gas without internal mods - 350-400 WHP with a simple turbo kit
Auto trans option (yes/no) - Yes
Tuning and mod support (yes/no) - Yes - very plentiful

USA production numbers:

Comparison I did with the V1 powertrain:
View attachment 44576
While I would love an 07k motor, for sounds alone, piecing together a turbo kit for it just isn't as easy as a GTI motor. A lot of the performance pieces for the 07k are bespoke (in comparison to an ea888). Plus I think the 07k requires a stand-alone ECU for running a turbo kit, and that's just too much for DF to have to deal with. The motors are cheap enough to have one on the side to build up while driving around. Speaking of, I have my IE stage 2 kit waiting to go on my Jetta Sportwagen.

Monty23

While I would love an 07k motor, for sounds alone, piecing together a turbo kit for it just isn't as easy as a GTI motor. A lot of the performance pieces for the 07k are bespoke (in comparison to an ea888). Plus I think the 07k requires a stand-alone ECU for running a turbo kit, and that's just too much for DF to have to deal with. The motors are cheap enough to have one on the side to build up while driving around. Speaking of, I have my IE stage 2 kit waiting to go on my Jetta Sportwagen.
Well you’ll just have to watch my build to find out how the 07k does in this chassis ;) . I’ll be purchasing this new v2 as soon as it’s released for purchase. And the stock me7 ecu has plenty of reflash options if you want to keep it cheap and use a stock ecu and harness, including with a turbo.