WYGoblin's Extended City Frame Goblin - 08 SS/TC

WYGoblin

Yeah I got the parking brake cables, lever and tubes out. I was sitting in my nice warm house thinking if I forgot anything and watching videos, and I forgot to take the gas filler out of the car. I am glad I remembered that. 8 deg here so no work on the car today :(. I am definitely getting more excited now that I got the car stripped. I think I will be ok if I bolt the doors back on the car for ease of transport with one or 2 bolts. Doesn't seem like I will need the extra bolts, (I hope lol).

WYGoblin

Thanks. I think I got them but now that you mention it I might of forgot the rear clips and lines. Have to check as soon as the weather warms up a little bit. It was -25 here with the wind chill today.

WYGoblin

Well progress has been slow lately. Winter came and it isn't much fun working in an garage with very little heating in it. I did get the car hauled off. Have a friend with a wreaking yard, he let me borrow his rollback and haul the car off. Been putting together what I can while I wait for the wiring harness to get back. Got the steering on, brake booster and pedals, and started to put together the front suspension. The front suspension is just hand tight as of right now in case I have to pull it off for some reason or if I put it together wrong lol. I did notice when I had the frame upside down to do the floor I had some powder come out of the frame. I am not sure what this if from, might be from when they had to redo the powder coating. Any ideas how to get most of it out of the frame or you think it will be ok and not cause any problems down the road. I am worried about moisture and rust really. Well hopefully the weather gets a little warmer this weekend so I can prep the engine. I did get one of those F35 with the LSD on black Friday. Just waiting for me to pick it up at the shop I had it delivered to.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Great progress, in spite of the winter weather! Always a good thing when you can say goodbye to the donor carcass. Love the frame color by the way, very vibrant. Have you decided on the body color yet? Don't think the loose powder from coating is an issue, as long as it didn't come off where it will be seen. The only area of the frame that is open are the lower tubes where the coolant lines are pulled through. These should be well coated with silicon tire wet that should help eliminate the chance of corrosion. Don't believe anyone has reported a rust issue after their build. Keep up the good work and happy holidays!

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
That frame color looks good. You can just blow compressed air through the frame if you are worried about the powder.

WYGoblin

Great progress, in spite of the winter weather! Always a good thing when you can say goodbye to the donor carcass. Love the frame color by the way, very vibrant. Have you decided on the body color yet? Don't think the loose powder from coating is an issue, as long as it didn't come off where it will be seen. The only area of the frame that is open are the lower tubes where the coolant lines are pulled through. These should be well coated with silicon tire wet that should help eliminate the chance of corrosion. Don't believe anyone has reported a rust issue after their build. Keep up the good work and happy holidays!
Thanks! I really like the frame color also. Sometimes I think I should of just went black as it will go with just about any body color. I have been throwing it around about the body color. I have always been a Shelby mustang fan so was thinking about either a grey with blue stripes or white with blue stripes. On the side panels I wanted to do same colors but the Shelby stripe along the bottom with the DF Goblin T/C instead of GT500 KR. That is what I keep coming back to. On the powder I don't think it will be a problem either. The only holes will be plugged by rivets when the panels are all in. Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays!!

Attachments

WYGoblin

Well not much of an update and no pics but I got most of the front together (minus the radiator and heat exchanger). Got the fuel tank installed. Was starting to work on the timing chains on the engine and when I was going back together with it I could not find my updated bolt for the guide. Tore the garage apart looking for it but no go. Had to order another one (good thing they aren't expensive lol). Now everything on hold till I get that one part :(. Hopefully I don't lose anymore parts. That could get expensive quick lol. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year's.

WYGoblin

Time for another update. Moved the frame from one shop to my garage. Decided to do that cause my garage was heated and the shop wasn't. Been pretty cold here lately. Haven't got much done. Got the timing chain changed out and engine cleaned up and painted. Installed new flywheel, clutch and new transmission. Installed the wiring harness. Started to install the engine and transmission and was fighting it till I found out I forgot to get the upper mounting plate for the transmission off the old transmission :oops:. Seems like it will go in much easier now. Got the bolts started for all the frame mounts for engine and transmission. The only problem I have ran into is on the upper transmission mount to the frame is there spacers that go between the frame mount and transmission. (see last picture). I looked through all my donor bolts and supplied hardware and cannot find any spacers. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

WYGoblin

There are no spacers that go between the transmission and the frame. That probably explains why you can't find them. On a side note, I have two unrelated questions:

1. I like the color of your valve cover. What color is that?
2. Why do you still have unwrapped Christmas presents?
On the spacers there is one bolt hole that is higher than the other two in the pictures. Kind of throwing me off a bit. If I try to tighten them down it looks like it would bind cause it would be at an angle. On the cover of the valve cover, it is just VHT red engine paint. The fluorescent lighting that might be giving it a slightly different shade. It looks red when I don't take a picture of it. The Christmas presents were supposed to be delivered to the recipients on Christmas but they are out of town till spring so I am just waiting till they get back. Too much to ship to them cause of the size lol.

WYGoblin

On another note anyone have any good ideas for powder coat touch up. I nicked the frame installing the engine. It is on the underside of a tube so might just touch up with some paint and primer.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Man I do not know how you handle that cold weather up there. Makes it tough for sure. My bones hurt just looking at the pics of the snow and ice.
What was the color blue on your frame? Looks sweet. I have 5 samples from prismatic powders on my desk. Still trying to decide.

WYGoblin

Man I do not know how you handle that cold weather up there. Makes it tough for sure. My bones hurt just looking at the pics of the snow and ice.
What was the color blue on your frame? Looks sweet. I have 5 samples from prismatic powders on my desk. Still trying to decide.
Yeah the cold is hard to get used too. The blue is called intense blue but we used silver sparkle instead of the super chrome. I was told by Lonny that the chrome had some problems that occur when coating and later down the road as well so they suggested the silver sparkle. They used that on their red frame also. I am very happy with the color choice. Looks awesome in the sunlight

WYGoblin

Update time. Not many pictures (I keep forgetting to stop and take pics) but got the engine and transmission bolted up. Thanks Lonny for the help with finding the correct spacers for the transmission. Got the wiring harness in along with the fuse box. Installed the radiator and heat exchanger. Still need to hook the heat exchanger to the pvc tubes in the tunnel though. Fans are wired up along with the horn. Got the rear suspension on and the solid mounts for the engine and transmission. All the brakes are done except I seem to find one brake line for the pass side front. Hmm...maybe I am overlooking it somewhere like the spacers for the transmission mount. Installing the relocation kit for the master cylinder was different. Had to move some wiring around that I bolted up to give the reservoir more room to bolt up. There are some plugs I don't remember or have pics of so I am sure I will be posting some of those to figure out what they are. I am just stubborn and like to try to figure stuff out for myself before asking for help lol. Someday I will let that go and just ask sooner before I get frustrated lol. I as really tempted to put the stock wheels on and set it on the ground to see what it looks like but still need to get under the car to hook some stuff up so I talked myself out of it. I didn't meet my goal this weekend to get it started but I did get some more done. Not far from my first start but that dang work thing is going to get in the way again lol.

Attachments

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Looking good.

I see you painted your radiator black. What kind of paint did you use? I'd like to do the same but I'm afraid if I don't use the right paint, it'll inhibit the cooling capability of the radiator...

WYGoblin

Looking good.

I see you painted your radiator black. What kind of paint did you use? I'd like to do the same but I'm afraid if I don't use the right paint, it'll inhibit the cooling capability of the radiator...
Thanks :). I used Eastwood black radiator paint. I was worried about the same thing but this paint goes on pretty thin. Not supposed to affect cooling

Attachments

WYGoblin

I was hoping to have my first start this weekend but ran into a problem. I dropped the ball and should of removed the fuel pump from the cobalt tank sooner. The donor had sugar in the fill tube but ran great. I pulled the pump and there is a bunch of sugar in the donor tank as well. Even though the pump does work I don't want to contaminate the goblin fuel system, so time for a new pump. So seeing as I couldn't start the car this weekend I got the headlights and tail lights on, dash button panel on and wired. Still need to tie up wires and such. The steering column is all together. Been trying to figure out if I want to run the shift cables in the tunnel or on top. I think it would be cleaner in the tunnel but worried about having too much in there and rubbing wires or the intercooler tubes. So close to registration and driving but seems to be slowing down due to small problems here and there. Still need to figure out where to put a second o2 bung and where to hook up and aftermarket boost gauge. I opted to go aftermarket with the boost gauge seeing as all I was finding for oem was as much as the aftermarket or more and not guaranteed to work either.