Manny's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC Donor

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
A little more completed. Trying to get everything before my powder coat is done. Cleaned up / painted the steering rack and trans mount. I think the last thing I need to do is to rent a hub and bushing puller and pick up another can of paint.

I've been to two advance autos and so far they haven't had the right tools. Does anyone know what kit # (rental) I need to get to remove the hub from the knuckle and the bushing from the lower control arm? Both had already rented out the lower control arm kits but I wasn't sure if there were different ones.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
This morning I picked up a lower control arm kit to push in the bushings. Got home and it was almost to tough to do it alone, it kept slipping off. Luckily my neighbor has a press so we got them installed. I also hammered out the hub that I was thinking I'd need a puller for. Even with the kit, it seemed like It was not a perfect match to the bearings.
The last thing I need to do is clean and paint the knuckle. I should be getting my frame back from powder coat soon.

theeulogy

This morning I picked up a lower control arm kit to push in the bushings. Got home and it was almost to tough to do it alone, it kept slipping off. Luckily my neighbor has a press so we got them installed. I also hammered out the hub that I was thinking I'd need a puller for. Even with the kit, it seemed like It was not a perfect match to the bearings.
The last thing I need to do is clean and paint the knuckle. I should be getting my frame back from powder coat soon.
My plan is to take them to work and press them in and out. I have the bushings, just on my long break at the moment so wont be doing them till the weekend.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
As far as the frame, I didn't have a need for a tap/die set. Your powder coater "should" put plugs into the bolt holes.

However, it's always a good idea to have a quality tap/die set on hand anyways.

Last edited:

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Finally an update:
I just got my frame back from powder coating. Ended up being 750. Which was more then expected due to having to order a custom color etc.

To recap. I have the frame and suspension in Empire Copper Vein from Prismatic Powders and then the other misc parts in tex black which is not any particular brand that I know of.
Tried to shoot a few pictures. The tex black is a little harder to pick up in the camera. I am very happy with the outcome. I am glad I ended up switching to this color and waiting for the back ordered powder.

IMG_20180510_112933.jpg

MVIMG_20180510_113008.jpg
MVIMG_20180510_113211.jpg
IMG_20180510_113205.jpg

Also this is what the frame looks like in an 5 1/2 bed truck. I think it would be doable to transport it this way as as long as it was a super crew and you had plenty of inside room.
IMG_20180510_112945.jpg
IMG_20180510_112952.jpg

The good news is I have the frame, the other good news is I just started the process of purchasing a new home. The bad news is I need to focus on packing and getting things set to move after my home sells. Crazy week.

Thats a good price my powder coat guy in NH estimated a minimum of 1000 for just the frame ( Illusion ) and I will still be bringing him many smaller parts over time.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'd double check, but powder coaters in my area have a minimum charge. It's $50 for the one I'm using. With the way the kits ship and back orders, it's practically impossible to round everything up and have it all coated at the same time.

Something to think about for others.

KJP

The frame looks awesome.
Congrats on the new house
A little more garage room for the build at the new house?

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
The frame looks awesome.
Congrats on the new house
A little more garage room for the build at the new house?
Thanks, yes larger garage. But what is also nice is that I start fresh with the garage. Get to put up the storage solutions I want etc. I'll likely go through and organize my tools as well.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Seems like it's been years since I posted. Patiently waiting for my house to be built. Long story short. The original house we were buying didn't work out so we went with a new build...still have about a month and half before were in but I've been gathering some of the last parts I need. I picked up some Corbeau FX1's and the rear suspension. Still need a few small items. Getting excited again.

Attachments

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Just about ready to get back into things. We finally moved into our new home and we've also added a baby boy to our family. Now just trying to get all organized and find some time. Since my last post I've picked up my headlights...which are the same as IDRVSLO's, then a couple other smaller items.

The garage is not at the top of the list for the wife....but I've been able to sneak in there here and there. Trying to get all my cabinets up and somewhat organized. Bought some cabinets from Costco. They are NewAge 11 piece set. I have another 42" cabinet that wouldn't fit on that wall. I have to say I am pretty happy with the quality/process. Not quite finished setting everything up, but this is where I left off...I also picked up a nice garage heater to keep me warm..

I am hoping to get going in a week or two. Still need to finish the setting up the garage. Also need to recruit some help to pull the hoses through.
IMG_20190113_144806.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nice! I love the lights above the movable project table. I need to check what headlights you guys are using.... I am planning on using my ATV's $50 Harbor freight winch, and some floor anchors, to pull the hoses thru the frame.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Nice! I love the lights above the movable project table. I need to check what headlights you guys are using.... I am planning on using my ATV's $50 Harbor freight winch, and some floor anchors, to pull the hoses thru the frame.
Funny you mention that I was actually thinking about having my friend with a winch come over. I attached the headlights I'm using below. I got them when they were 81 each.
Screenshot_20190114-185102.png