Frank's Florida Street Goblin Build (#227) - 06 SS, 2.4L donor

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Day-7 Dash Out. Making steady progress on the tear-down. Completer 5 of the 8 Tear down video's. They are very helpful. Still looking for another option for an engine. Not having much luck finding another engine but the search continues.
Not sure what engine you in search of but when I was looking for a base model to replace an engine in a Cobalt, i couldn't find one cheap and local until I opened up my search to include Malibus. They use the same engine. The transmission is different. The block is the same if you get the the correct year. Malibu use a power steering pump that runs off the cam, but they are removed with two nuts and put the bb lock off plate on from the Colbalt. That was the only two changes to instal the engine.

Wes

Day-7 Dash Out. Making steady progress on the tear-down. Completer 5 of the 8 Tear down video's. They are very helpful. Still looking for another option for an engine. Not having much luck finding another engine but the search continues.
Just send it with the engine you have! You can always replace it later. I have a high mileage 2.4 that's been holding 9 pounds of boost and the rev limiter for the last year. Of course next week I might be looking for a new one lol

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Just send it with the engine you have! You can always replace it later. I have a high mileage 2.4 that's been holding 9 pounds of boost and the rev limiter for the last year. Of course next week I might be looking for a new one lol
Been considering that. Engine was running fine when I pulled it (208,000 miles) and the car was drivable. Might just do that and put in a new clutch and change the timing chains.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Not much car left. Working on removing the main wire harness that runs the full length of the car. Also getting a little painting done starting with the sub-frame. Hey, I found $.12 cents in the car. I wonder who found the most $$ in their donor?
I have an unfair advantage in this area because I had two donors. But to get an accurate summation of my findings, are we counting just cash money, or are we counting fair value of all the pens/lighters, bits of food, ladies' undergarments, and dog toys? :D:D:D:D

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I have an unfair advantage in this area because I had two donors. But to get an accurate summation of my findings, are we counting just cash money, or are we counting fair value of all the pens/lighters, bits of food, ladies' undergarments, and dog toys? :D:D:D:D
Cash money !!!

Kenny123

Congrats brother! I'm an Army Vet and always find it hard to sit still without a project as well. Definatly blame the military for that haha. I am currently waiting for my kit to arrive as well. I got #218. Cant wait. Also thank you for your service!

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
What do we have about 7 Goblins in Florida now , Is that the most in one state,
Zoom Zoom Port Saint Lucie
Lethal Cast Cocoa
Ace West West Palm Area
Oldchevyguy. Bushnell
CaptainFrank2001. Mcalpin
JPas914. Niceville
CHARLES. St.Petersburg
jaredthenav. Navarre
HoboGoblin. Jacksonville
There are more but I can’t remember them all

Last edited:

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Congrats brother! I'm an Army Vet and always find it hard to sit still without a project as well. Definatly blame the military for that haha. I am currently waiting for my kit to arrive as well. I got #218. Cant wait. Also thank you for your service!
Thank you for your service as well. Yes, I retired from the Submarine Service after 20 years in 1993, trying to keep busy. Hey found another dime in my donor, now up to $.22 cents. Making money !!!

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Well pulled the trigger and bought another engine. Found a 2.4L ecotec with just 22,000 miles on the clock. Hopefully it was well taken care of. Finally got the wire harness out. Looks like a snake farm.

Attachments

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
22K miles. The AD for the engine I found clearly stated 22K miles in three different places in the AD. I was becoming more and more skeptical of the "claimed" mileage on the engine I found on Ebay. I asked the seller for the VIN of the donor car and invested $39 in a CARFAX. The real mileage is 222,440 and I asked the seller WTF? His answer "I guess I missed a zero". Another scam artist on Ebay. I will file a complaint for what little good that does.

Attachments

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
22K miles. The AD for the engine I found clearly stated 22K miles in three different places in the AD. I was becoming more and more skeptical of the "claimed" mileage on the engine I found on Ebay. I asked the seller for the VIN of the donor car and invested $39 in a CARFAX. The real mileage is 222,440 and I asked the seller WTF? His answer "I guess I missed a zero". Another scam artist on Ebay. I will file a complaint for what little good that does.
ouch. Sorry about that.
File it under "too good to be true"......