Jared's Florida Road/Track Build - 06 SS/SC (#230)

jaredthenav

Has anyone left the cigarette plugs in the dash wiring harness and kept them in the Goblin build? How have they been adapted/mounted? Is it as easy as leaving them in the wiring harness and then figuring out a way to put a plug or two into the Goblin?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, I left them in for the radar detector and GPS. One went below my instrument cluster, and one in the tunnel.
Yes, I just left them in the wiring harness, and made a mounting position later.

My button panel is kind of red neck, but it works. Just epoxy glued 2 Cobalt pieces together, because they already had the mounts for the buttons. Used the Cobalt buttons, but did need to make my own mounts below the dash gauges.
The tunnel will depend on how much room you have in it, but I am glad the Cobalt still had the rain covers on the accessory ports (Cig plugs).

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You should get your axles propped up straighter or remove them. Don't let them hang, they can be damaged if you plan to reuse them. Otherwise, great job! :D

95Blitz

Could you take a picture of the front of the motor (pulleys) from straight on and post it please?

ccannx

Goblin Guru
View attachment 15720

Can anyone explain why the previous owners of my donor car would have plugged what I assume is another vent line? Any idea where it was supposed to go?
The bypass valve on the supercharger looks like the top nipple broke off (black round plastic piece 2" wide 2" tall) . The u bend tube from the supercharger goes to the top port on that valve and vacuum pulls the diaphram up and opens the bypass. In this picture it almost looks like the vacuum tube is coming off the solenoid(part that is capped off that has power plug) and going to the top port of the bypass valve instead of vacuum from the intake/supercharger.

jaredthenav

So an update on seats. A local upholstery shop quoted me $650 per seat to recover in vinyl, keep SS embroidery, increase the side bolstering on both parts of the seat, and adding a slit for a 5 point harness. This would be more expensive than the Corbeaus from DF, but I still like the idea of keeping the seats adjustable and doing some color customization as well. It looks like the stock seats sit up higher than the racing seats, though, and I'm getting the full track frame...Can anyone comment on the stock seat/track frame head clearance?

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Don’t feel like you’re locked into either stock or the Corbeau’s. There are a ton of aftermarket race style seats that recline and have sliders and come in different colors.
The stock seats sit higher than the Corbeau’s in my track frame.

95Blitz

I think read on here somewhere or it was a video that the roof bars had been raised to be used with the stock seats.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Don’t feel like you’re locked into either stock or the Corbeau’s. There are a ton of aftermarket race style seats that recline and have sliders and come in different colors.
The stock seats sit higher than the Corbeau’s in my track frame.
If the budget is $650, when comparing to the upholstery shop quote, the sky is the limit as far as aftermarket seats! :D As James stated there sooo many other seats that have the same features as the Cobalt seats but are pounds lighter, or doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money, in my opinion.

I think read on here somewhere or it was a video that the roof bars had been raised to be used with the stock seats.
Or to have headroom clearance for helmet so your racing legal.

jaredthenav

Another question. My donor's intercooler pump was attached with zip ties. And when I drained the heat exchanger, lots of glitter. So obviously going to have to replace that pump. But having a difficult time finding it online (trip to the Chevy dealership is my next option). Has anyone found one online? Also, where does it actually attach? I presume the factory didn't ship with it connected to the sub frame via zip ties...
20200729_133450.jpg

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Another question. My donor's intercooler pump was attached with zip ties. And when I drained the heat exchanger, lots of glitter. So obviously going to have to replace that pump. But having a difficult time finding it online (trip to the Chevy dealership is my next option). Has anyone found one online? Also, where does it actually attach? I presume the factory didn't ship with it connected to the sub frame via zip ties...View attachment 15938
Grab this one quick since it is less than $50: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-AUXILLARY-WATER-PUMP-BRACKET-for-2005-2007-CHEVROLET-COBALT-LSJ-OEM/224099057148?hash=item342d583dfc:g:s-YAAOSwAchfIjVI

This one is $300! :-( https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRACKET-MOUNT-SECONDARY-WATER-PUMP-2-0L-ENGINE-MOTOR-INTERCOOLER-fits-COBALT-SS/192855514840?hash=item2ce7159ed8:g:uAsAAOSwf6FciCWc

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
ACD 22718756
Bosch 390 022 002

Or you can rebuild it yourself. You should be able to get parts at your local alternator/starter rebuild shop.