Jim McDonald // Extended Track // '09 HHR SS/TC Automatic

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I'll take a minute to update some of the progress we've made.

We had to modify the DF muffler assembly because it hit the rear solid motor mount. Fairly simple mod. Just added 1-3/8" at the flange. We probably could have made it 1" and cleared.

20200918_154627.jpg
20200917_205112.jpg

Attachments

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I build a prototype clockspring mounting plate out of ABS. I have a piece of Delrin that I'm going to use to make a thicker mounting plate with to eliminate the spacers current plate. I only hooked the horn button for now but will put steering wheel controls in instead of a button panel. Also thinking of putting in paddle shifters at some point.

I'm a little embarrassed at my soldering job of wires to clockspring pins, so don't laugh if you look closely. I'd like to say I was getting it figured out, but I think i got worse the further I went.

20200921_162113.jpg

20200921_163431.jpg

20200921_164327.jpg

20200921_182004.jpg

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Wooohooo. We finally got the brake lights working right. We had to use the HHR brake pedal position sensor and make a new mount exactly opposite of the Cobalt mount. We then put in two resistors to slow the turn signal cycle rate and one to make the the CHMSL function correctly. We tried a bunch of combinations and finally settled on the ones listed below. If the ohms are two low, the resistor gets smoking hot. To high and you don't get the desired outcome.

CHMSL = 100ohm
Turn signal = 25ohm

20200922_210919.jpg

20200922_214257.jpg

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Nice job, man. Perseverance!
Coming from you of all people, that really means something. Thanks. I've had a cake walk of a build compared to your's. When you look up tenacity in the dictionary, there a picture of you.

We have an appointment to be inspected for registration this morning, so I was getting a little desperate. Figured every thing out at about 3pm and then spent 6 hours building mounts and wiring. I may rework some of it, but for the most part, I'm happy with the wiring.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Can you share the info on your oil cooler? I am still throwing that upgrade around for mine. Thanks.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Are you planning to be a "Wang Club Member" or an "Anti-Wang Club Member"? Asking for a friend. :D
I was really torn. Before the build, I thought the cars with no wing looked goofy, but after seeing one for the first time in person(mine), I have finally made my decision. When the hood is off, it looks really cool with no wing, to me, but with the hood on, it definitely needs a wing for looks. Adding weight just for looks is tough for me, so I will be using a double wing wing, sliding foam cores in to take up space and then run intercooler water through the wing. I'm waiting until we are done with registration and understand temperature reading before I do that mod.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
An intercooler wing, that's a great idea. :D
I was going to make it and see who asked why there are hoses going to my wing, but the cats out now. I'm not sure how it will cool. My thought is that there's a lot of contact inches there, but I'm not sure how much compared to a standard radiator/heat exchanger.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I was going to make it and see who asked why there are hoses going to my wing, but the cats out now. I'm not sure how it will cool. My thought is that there's a lot of contact inches there, but I'm not sure how much compared to a standard radiator/heat exchanger.
I blew up your spot! Sorry about that.

I'll be very curious to see how you get the water up there.

1) Isn't it more difficult to pump water higher? Can the normal intercooler pump handle it, or do you need something beefier?
2) Would you do 90-degree hard fittings for the tight turns?

Interesting idea, for sure.