Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster.

It is a CNC machine. One day it will cut foam, for a front composite wing, for a goblin.
View attachment 44757

Glad you got a laugh out of it, although that is not the intent of posting it here.
I logged my progress in my build log. What were you expecting in my build log?

Thanks! If I get bored and need something to do, I just walk out to the shop, and something to do will find me.
Half build goblin. Half build CNC. Half cleaned shop. Half finished French cleat system:
View attachment 44756 View attachment 44758

View attachment 44759 View attachment 44755
Always find something to do in a shop. It's my happy place.
That space!!! There must be somewhere an apple tree and Eve. Lol

We in Florida have a lot air parks, considering moving into one. But I guess I need one with 2 hangars since sooner or later one would be used for a plane.

Your cnc looks very interesting! And the mill in the background as well. Ever thought about putting some motors on it and converting it into a CNC?

Ross

Goblin Guru
That space!!! There must be somewhere an apple tree and Eve. Lol

We in Florida have a lot air parks, considering moving into one. But I guess I need one with 2 hangars since sooner or later one would be used for a plane.

Your cnc looks very interesting! And the mill in the background as well. Ever thought about putting some motors on it and converting it into a CNC?
I did consider making the milling machine a CNC, My current CNC project is focusing on woodwork and foam cutting, so a large cutting area was given priority.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru

The Cloyes sprocket that goes on the crankshaft, and rotates the balance shafts. is thinner than the old GM 12789018 sprocket.
The Cloyes sprocket is one piece, while the GM one is 2 pieces with a retaining ring. Maybe some kind of vibration dampening?
Has anyone come across this issue before? I don't see any spacer to take up the difference in thickness, but don't think it should just float on the crankshaft, even thou it is a keyed shaft at that point.

Markm

I don’t believe that’ll float on the crankshaft since the balancer tightens all that together. I would put it together and make sure that the balancer isn’t too close to the timing cover or reuse the sprocket

Ross

Goblin Guru
I took it apart and reassembled it about 5 times, but finally, all chains line up on their marks, and the chain rides in the middle of all the guides, and everything is torqued to spec. New: Cloyes cam sprockets & bolts, balance shaft sprockets, 2 chains, 6 guides & 2 bolts, Dorman bolt, 2 tensioners, and an oiler. The old cam chain was the same length as the new cam chain... so I don't think there was 140K miles on this chain. The former owner probably changed it once. I did a 175K ecotec LAF engine a few weeks ago, and that chain was a full link longer than the new chain.

Tricks I learned:
- used vice grips to hold the intake camshaft steady, and a 24mm wrench to move the exhaust cam, so I can align the sprockets on the cams.
- intake cam sprocket gets the odd colored (yellow) chain link. The other exhaust and crank sprockets get black links.
- insert the big aluminum chain guide down from above before installing the exhaust sprocket, but after the intake sprocket, chain, and crank sprocket. The right chain guide can be done after the sprockets are all on their marks.
- put a 12mm socket inside my 32mm deep socket, then put that in the impact gun, with the cam chain tensioner (already activated). Put on about 40lbs pressure to compress the spring in the tensioner, and lightly pull the trigger on the impact, until the threads catch, and pull the tensioner in. Torque to 55 foot pounds. I never liked activating the tensioner after installing, as I broke one once, because I can't tell if it was activated.
- there is a lot of tension on the cam chain, I can't get any slack with thumb pressure, but the chain is centered on the guides, and there was some slack before putting on the tensioner.

Last edited:

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
- put a 12mm socket inside my 32mm deep socket, then put that in the impact gun, with the cam chain tensioner (already activated). Put on about 40lbs pressure to compress the spring in the tensioner, and lightly pull the trigger on the impact, until the threads catch, and pull the tensioner in. Torque to 55 foot pounds. I never liked activating the tensioner after installing, as I broke one once, because I can't tell if it was activated.
I activated mine before installation too. It's not overly difficult to install the tensioner activated.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
I took it apart and reassembled it about 5 times, but finally, all chains line up on their marks, and the chain rides in the middle of all the guides, and everything is torqued to spec. New: Cloyes cam sprockets & bolts, balance shaft sprockets, 2 chains, 6 guides & 2 bolts, Dorman bolt, 2 tensioners, and an oiler. The old cam chain was the same length as the new cam chain... so I don't think there was 140K miles on this chain. The former owner probably changed it once. I did a 175K ecotec LAF engine a few weeks ago, and that chain was a full link longer than the new chain.
View attachment 45481
Tricks I learned:
- used vice grips to hold the intake camshaft steady, and a 24mm wrench to move the exhaust cam, so I can align the sprockets on the cams.
- intake cam sprocket gets the odd colored (yellow) chain link. The other exhaust and crank sprockets get black links.
- insert the big aluminum chain guide down from above before installing the exhaust sprocket, but after the intake sprocket, chain, and crank sprocket. The right chain guide can be done after the sprockets are all on their marks.
- there is a lot of tension on the cam chain, I can't get any slack with thumb pressure, but the chain is centered on the guides, and there was some slack before putting on the tensioner.
I wonder if it would be possible to add the variable cam shaft from the LAP to the LSJ.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Mike, it is possible to make Frankenstein ecotec engines, but you would have to do a lot more research than I know. Maybe start a thread on that topic if you want... somewhere other than my build thread. :)

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Lol, I agree. I was somehow hoping you had already thought of that. Don't you have already a small Frankenstein? Twin Charged with all kind of extras :D

Ross

Goblin Guru
One day I will have a twin charged engine. Right now I am doing maintenance to a stock LSJ, then hopefully have a healthy engine for this spring.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I took off the supercharger, and the intercooler intake manifold. Found a 1 1/8" socket behind it. Nice. I didn't own that size!

Put the cover over the cam chain, and painted one side of the engine.

Last edited: