Andrew's Extended Track Goblin - 08 SS/TC

ATMironov

Wait!!!!!
You got pressure sensors in your brake lines?????
Yes sir. Both front and rear.
I have an active brake bias controller on my control panel, and the AIM Dash will do the math to tell me the actual bias so its repeatable.

All the info is also logged, so after a session I can see how much of the brakes I'm actually using. Of if there are certain corners that I'm afraid of. :)

IMG_8922.jpg

Last edited:

ATMironov

I got a few hours in this weekend, but am wrapping up the electrical.
I wired in the relay and power for the fuel pump, figured out the Alternator shut down for the kill switch and relocated the OBD2 port to the back side of the control panel.
0D6F61F5-3412-43CF-AB07-8128F5FD329A.jpeg

164B52F4-4B9B-4AEC-B890-DC212F33DB27.jpeg

after that I finalized the routing of the intake and welded in a mounting tab. I use the tab provided by DF, just ground a curve in it to match the frame.
Then extended the MAF harness.
68C8F247-2811-42E8-8AD9-695837304B0E.jpeg

I have now started my punch list which means I’m getting close :)
I’m hoping to get the car down to a friends shop in the next few weeks to make my big frame modification, then hopefully complete the mock-up in December and brake it down for powdercoating

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I think chad had problems with his MAF readings and tuning with the air filter out where the air was hitting it and ended up tucking it in the frame.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Mine sticks out above the tire and seems to be ok. I'm not going to say it's perfect, since it does seem to vary more than I would expect when viewing it on a log, but it isn't noticeable when driving. I did put a honeycomb straightener in mine that might have helped, but considering how little room there is before the maf sensor to the air filter, and the fact that I used a K&N intake which has a larger pipe section where the maf is mounted, followed by a reducer, I really expected it to be worse.

Attachments

ATMironov

I think chad had problems with his MAF readings and tuning with the air filter out where the air was hitting it and ended up tucking it in the frame.
Mine sticks out above the tire and seems to be ok. I'm not going to say it's perfect, since it does seem to vary more than I would expect when viewing it on a log, but it isn't noticeable when driving. I did put a honeycomb straightener in mine that might have helped, but considering how little room there is before the maf sensor to the air filter, and the fact that I used a K&N intake which has a larger pipe section where the maf is mounted, followed by a reducer, I really expected it to be worse.
I'm taking some inspiration from @JBINTX.
I have heard of issues with the short distance from the MAF to the turbo, but nothing on the filter being in clean air.
Hopefully it works.. I'm out of room to tuck it back inside the frame. :rolleyes:

Desert Sasqwatch

Bigfoot Goblin
How about running the intake tube up and over the top of the engine? It would require a little longer tube and more distance between the filter and MAF. The intercooler and piping is already on top of the engine and putting it to the passenger side with the filter up behind the seat may be an option. :)

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Link to Chads air filter placement thread.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I need to look at my logs and compare to Chad's since I know more about how to read them now. I may be feeling a little of what he was in that rpm range if that is 5th gear, but at that point I usually shift into fourth gear. On the LNF, you use the fuel trims to adjust the tune, so mine are active and are able to compensate. I have not seen the variation in AFR that he is seeing and I don't think I have seen the variation in spark. The only problem I have is the LTFT+STFT will be virtually 0 one trip and then +/- 3-5% the next. And that may be normal.

ATMironov

Well you guys have scared me enough to buy an air straightener and to flip the MAF tube around so I have some more straight pipe before the MAF, but I'm going to give the filter a shot on the side. I've run a few car with the air filter in clean air, although none of them had the MAF so close to the filter.
I don't want the put the filter in the DF location due to heat. In addition to the engine heat, I have bot the oil cooler and hx that will be dumping heat into the same area.

I'm guessing this will be revisited.

ATMironov

Make sure the maf sensor is installed the correct direction. I don’t know if the DF suppled mount will allow it to be reversed.
I did check, the MAF can be put in either way. But there is an arrow on it, which i assume is the direction of air flow

Scott #321

there was a discussion on how tuners that strongly recommended putting the maf sensor at the end of a long straight run away from the filter intake to improve its accuracy.

ATMironov

Well I finally got the car down to my buddies Race Shop.
I've been talking with him since I placed my order for the kit a year ago, and this weekend it finally happened.

I rented a U-Haul trailer and dove the car the two hours to his house/shop.
My driveway is too steep to push the car, so I had to tow it out.
IMG_9248.jpg

IMG_9249.jpg

I'm a little jealous, my wife got the first drive as I pushed it onto the trailer.
Although, she can't reach the pedals so I should be safe for future drives. :)

IMG_9250.jpg

IMG_9251.jpg

First order of business was to gawk at his other cars.

IMG_9253.jpg

Then onto removing the factory seat mounts and harness attachment points.
IMG_9252.jpg

Mounting the seats was the first priority.
We added angle to mount the seat brackets, along with some gusseting.
Installed eyes for the seat harnesses. I'm using 6 point belts, so the DF center mounting point didn't work. And my seats are far enough back that the side lap belt holes are too far forward.

IMG_9261.jpg

IMG_9254.jpg

After the seats were in, we could install a harness bar at the proper height.

IMG_9255.jpg

IMG_9256.jpg

IMG_9258.jpg

After the harness bar, we moved onto my favorite part, the roll hoop X brace.

IMG_9266.jpg

IMG_9267.jpg

I'm seriously in love with the way it looks!

IMG_9268.jpg

Finally, there is the front sway bar mount.
We mounted the outer support tube for the sway bar along with some mounting tabs on the upper control arms to connect the end links.
My original though was the place the sway bar behind the radiator, like couple others have done, but we were not happy with the length and shape of that would have been needed for the say bar arms.
So, sway bar will get mounted just inside the footwell cover and connect to the upper A arms.
I didn't have the footwell cover or hood with me, so I'm hoping it all works. I know I'm going to have to cut both of them to make it fit.
IMG_9265.jpg

IMG_9264.jpg

I need to get a spacer to get some clearance in the end links to the a arms.
IMG_9260.jpg

I'll head back next Saturday to wrap up the sway bar and few other small things.
After I get it home I'll make the hood work, one way or another.

Last edited:

ATMironov

Back at it today.
l left the sway bar alone. Decide it would be best to mock it up with the actual wheel/tires. So I’ll come back to that shortly.

I, and by I, I mean my buddy, fabricated A pillar braces.
I think the combo of the Gusset plates and X Brace looks pretty sweet and makes me feel a whole lot better about the halo.
And of course, I had to add some speed holes for @Desert Sasqwatch :)

75BCDC57-EE63-4A5B-9D9B-90906DBDBE23.jpeg

FD021952-F83B-4EB2-A697-5B4A7C4B9BE2.jpeg

A578C487-DF18-480A-A893-9620D624F6F5.jpeg

5D9C6A58-91D2-4148-BA89-98549B771185.jpeg

120DBCB0-24F9-4030-95C4-5FC30B295C8A.jpeg

5494F9D0-3818-4539-B567-293AD1201C0E.jpeg

Desert Sasqwatch

Bigfoot Goblin
Those new gussets add character to the a-pillar, I've beenwaitingto see who would put these into their build (contemplating adding some for a while, not far enough along yet). Hope you add a few more for additional strength...and don't forget the speedholes to make it lighter. :cool: BTW, that gusset may be a candidate for an exterior mirror mount???

dastrups

This thing is coming along nice!! Love the look of the x brace with the gussets. What color are you going to powdercoat the frame?

ATMironov

Those new gussets add character to the a-pillar, I've beenwaitingto see who would put these into their build (contemplating adding some for a while, not far enough along yet). Hope you add a few more for additional strength...and don't forget the speedholes to make it lighter. :cool: BTW, that gusset may be a candidate for an exterior mirror mount???
I’m pretty excited to to have some unique visual features on the car, in addition to the added safety.

This is the extent of the gusseting that I’m doing. Unfortunately I don’t have the tools to fabricate them, and the time I had at my buddy’s shop was limited, so I went for my top priorities.

A little convex blind spot mirror might be a good fit on the brace!

ATMironov

This thing is coming along nice!! Love the look of the x brace with the gussets. What color are you going to powdercoat the frame?
The frame will be NCRC Orange. :)
I’m not exactly sure what the body work will be, but I know there will be NCRC plastered all over it. Haha