Carl's Track Goblin - 05 SS SC donor, Chassis # 39

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Attended the BSCC autocross last Sunday with my family and had a great day in the sun! Much more comfortable than 100 degree day we had.
20210711_105258.jpg

Attendance was low due to an SCCA autocross that same weekend, but still a fun group to run with. Plus side was that we got an extra run because of the entries.

I typically pick a target car and driver to aim for, times wise, to get close to. So I picked the car behind me in line.

A little more tuning to the suspension and I think I can calm down the oversteer on off throttle turn in. But otherwise its handling great and the tires are definitely liking the hotter weather.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Very nice runs. Love that track setup compared to some of the other autocross ones I’ve seen. Sounds like you could use another 1k rpm on some of those areas. When’s the ported head, 82# springs and stage 2 cams getting added? :)

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Very nice runs. Love that track setup compared to some of the other autocross ones I’ve seen. Sounds like you could use another 1k rpm on some of those areas. When’s the ported head, 82# springs and stage 2 cams getting added? :)
Did you end up going to the Evergreen autox?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Did you end up going to the Evergreen autox?
I’ve never done an autocross, only watched everyone’s videos they post up here. My goblin is still in assembly (hasn’t been painted). Working on the engine build at the moment. Been procrastinating a ton.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I’ve never done an autocross, only watched everyone’s videos they post up here. My goblin is still in assembly (hasn’t been painted). Working on the engine build at the moment. Been procrastinating a ton.
I know what you mean. Just pick something to work on each day. No matter if it's only 15 minutes at a time. You'll make a little progress each day.
Leave yourself good notes of where you left off so you dont have to spend time retracing what you were last doing.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
You got some good grip going on with those tires. I did not see much loss of traction at all.
It was a lot of fun. The hotter weather is helping these Toyo's to start producing some grip. Getting out of the hole was much better, but the lack of an LSD is really starting to show. Had to really feather the throttle coming out of the corners until I can get the inside tire loaded again. Having to be patient in the corners and leaving time out there on the course.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
It was a lot of fun. The hotter weather is helping these Toyo's to start producing some grip. Getting out of the hole was much better, but the lack of an LSD is really starting to show. Had to really feather the throttle coming out of the corners until I can get the inside tire loaded again. Having to be patient in the corners and leaving time out there on the course.
Good info you got. Keep it coming!!
It is amazing how understanding these vehicles will allow you to make adjustments or additions and then see a half second disappear on your times.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Try starting in second gear. There’s plenty of power to weight to do it and you don’t waste time shifting. Plus, it keeps from having too much power right at the beginning where you can spin.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
You can toe in the front to help alleviate some turn in oversteer. You may need a front swaybar to keep the rear inside loaded. I did read a forum where Steve Holscher was able to suspension tune his modified Mr2 to work without swaybars entirely for autocross.

If your interested some information about the setup theory can be found here :https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/sts2-mk1-suspension-setup-w-host-xhead.298272/

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Try starting in second gear. There’s plenty of power to weight to do it and you don’t waste time shifting. Plus, it keeps from having too much power right at the beginning where you can spin.
I've contemplated starting in second gear but I always have that Ricky Bobby moment at the line. "I just wanna go fast!". Lol
I'm going to have to try it one of these times since they space the timing light so far from our starting point.

With the hotter ashalpt temps and the tires getting close to operating temps in the last couple of runs, I was pretty much able to launch in first gear and roll to full throttle hard without the tires spinning. Especially my fifth run with launching at 3k.
Typically I found launching just off idle in first and minimally slip the clutch so as to not break the tires loose, too much, has been working.
I think my soft rear springs may have been helping with that part.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It does depend on the course, but ours are setup where you never get out of 2nd gear and there’s not a good place to normally shift from 1 to 2, so starting in second works well. I can left foot brake to help response, so I take off in 2nd, then position my left foot on the brake. This way all I have to do I concentrate on driving.

a few extra revs to take off, then on to full throttle, while I get my feet set.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Making some small progress on the mount.
Cut the steel plates out tonight, just needing to tack and weld in place. Then build the bolt in cross brace.
20210810_160905.jpg

1628648670350734858377278626774.jpg