Donors

How long does it take most people to find and buy their donor car? I was looking on Copart and they had pretty much nothing for the cobalt ss manual supercharged, I am finding a decent few on Facebook but most people want 5k+ for them. I am also just having a hard time not letting the fund aspect get to me. my funding plan is 250 dollars of each paycheck goes towards it which if I did not take any money from it itd take 3 ish years for me to buy just the kit, the downside is its half my paycheck for now when im getting decent hours. just trying to stay motivated and work towards my dream car but it is hard to do.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hayden, welcome to the forum. Since you are just starting out and on a very fixed budget, you need to think about the purchase of a Goblin in the long term. What I mean is the Cobalt based Goblin kits (V1) will only be sold for maybe 2 more years and the Goblin V2 will be the available kit by the time you are ready to purchase. This kit will be based on the VW MK7 GTI, so my advice is to look for one of these to purchase as your donor. Get the GTI, drive it for the time period you are saving up to purchase the Goblin kit. This way you will have a known good donor and can go into building a Goblin with more confidence it will be a good running car when you are done. Be patient and plan this project out and don't get in too much of a hurry - I've had my Goblin kit for more than 4 years and I am still enjoying it as an 'engineering' project doing many things that I share with other builders. You're still young and have lots of opportunities in front of you. Ask questions, the forum is here to help. :D

Ross

Goblin Guru
It took me about 3 months of shopping to find my first SC Cobalt. I was shopping IAAI, Coparts, facebook, craigslist, etc.
I bought a second SC donor about 2 years later. Waiting and watching gave me a better deal.
Keep saving, and keep shopping, occasionally good deals come along. I have seen half build Goblin kits sell for less than the cost of a new kit.
I drove my goblin as a naked frame for over 2 years, just bought the minimum, and kept working on it.

After my wife saw how much I enjoyed the project, she was okay with me fixing it up more and more.

5 years later, I'm still enjoying building it to a higher level.

Hayden, welcome to the forum. Since you are just starting out and on a very fixed budget, you need to think about the purchase of a Goblin in the long term. What I mean is the Cobalt based Goblin kits (V1) will only be sold for maybe 2 more years and the Goblin V2 will be the available kit by the time you are ready to purchase. This kit will be based on the VW MK7 GTI, so my advice is to look for one of these to purchase as your donor. Get the GTI, drive it for the time period you are saving up to purchase the Goblin kit. This way you will have a known good donor and can go into building a Goblin with more confidence it will be a good running car when you are done. Be patient and plan this project out and don't get in too much of a hurry - I've had my Goblin kit for more than 4 years and I am still enjoying it as an 'engineering' project doing many things that I share with other builders. You're still young and have lots of opportunities in front of you. Ask questions, the forum is here to help. :D
will the VW MK7 GTI be just as fast and or fun as the Cobalt ss supercharged stock and as reliable? even with being young, it makes me feel even less of a chance for things id like to have or do sadly because of jobs and money. also is there a list on what will be different between the V1 and V2?

It took me about 3 months of shopping to find my first SC Cobalt. I was shopping IAAI, Coparts, facebook, craigslist, etc.
I bought a second SC donor about 2 years later. Waiting and watching gave me a better deal.
Keep saving, and keep shopping, occasionally good deals come along. I have seen half build Goblin kits sell for less than the cost of a new kit.
I drove my goblin as a naked frame for over 2 years, just bought the minimum, and kept working on it.
View attachment 46383
After my wife saw how much I enjoyed the project, she was okay with me fixing it up more and more.
View attachment 46384
5 years later, I'm still enjoying building it to a higher level.
do you plan on building another Goblin or just using the 2nd cobalt for parts?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I wanted a Ariel Atom when I first saw it. The kit was $30,000, and by the time I saved $10,000, the Ariel Atom was up over $60,000.
So I never got one, but I am glad DF started this Goblin kit!
I only plan on 1 goblin, but with a spare engine, I never have to wait for parts.
I have a spare parts if I just want to test, and see if it fixes something.
Also, I like taking my time, and working on the engine in the shop, then swap engines in the Goblin in winter time.
You can take your time and rebuild the seats. Then you can make cool stuff with the spare parts.

The Goblin V2 is an advancement of V1. Newer donor car, with a DSG dual clutch transmission, allows for paddle shifters on the steering wheel, and quick shifting of a manual transmission. DF has used advanced suspension geometry, and is selling it as a rolling chassis.
DF hasn't announced the price of V2 yet, but I would assume it will cost more as it is a more advanced kit.
As far as which is faster, well, you can build both engines over 500hp, and modify stuff for the race track, so a lot of it depends on how far you want to take it. Both will be fast and fun.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The Cobalt SC was stock 205 HP with a manual transmission. The GTI MK7 is stock 225 HP with the DSG 'auto' transmission. The Cobalt engine is an aluminum block, the GTI is an iron block - just slightly heavier, but the DSG shifts quicker as @Ross stated. So stock the V1 and V2 Goblins would be very closely matched. But understand that 200 HP in a 1600 lb car is probably faster than any car you've ever ridden in (assuming you don't have race car experience). @Ross indicated that 500 HP is readily achieved with either platform - read through @Justinreed7 build log and his other posts about his racing events to get an idea of the potential of the Goblin, talking supercar class speeds and handling. :cool:

The Cobalt SC was stock 205 HP with a manual transmission. The GTI MK7 is stock 225 HP with the DSG 'auto' transmission. The Cobalt engine is an aluminum block, the GTI is an iron block - just slightly heavier, but the DSG shifts quicker as @Ross stated. So stock the V1 and V2 Goblins would be very closely matched. But understand that 200 HP in a 1600 lb car is probably faster than any car you've ever ridden in (assuming you don't have race car experience). @Ross indicated that 500 HP is readily achieved with either platform - read through @Justinreed7 build log and his other posts about his racing events to get an idea of the potential of the Goblin, talking supercar class speeds and handling. :cool:
How much more expensive would the V2 be over the V1 roughly and will the V2 be able to have a open frame?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hayden, DF will be announcing more about the V2 Goblin in the few weeks/months as their engineering design is finalized and likely post a probable kit price. If your curiosity can't wait that long, you could contact @Adam through the PM or call DF. The Goblins V1 and V2 will look very similar with tube frames and fiberglass bodywork (optional).

I wanted a Ariel Atom when I first saw it. The kit was $30,000, and by the time I saved $10,000, the Ariel Atom was up over $60,000.
So I never got one, but I am glad DF started this Goblin kit!
I only plan on 1 goblin, but with a spare engine, I never have to wait for parts.
I have a spare parts if I just want to test, and see if it fixes something.
Also, I like taking my time, and working on the engine in the shop, then swap engines in the Goblin in winter time.
You can take your time and rebuild the seats. Then you can make cool stuff with the spare parts.
View attachment 46388

The Goblin V2 is an advancement of V1. Newer donor car, with a DSG dual clutch transmission, allows for paddle shifters on the steering wheel, and quick shifting of a manual transmission. DF has used advanced suspension geometry, and is selling it as a rolling chassis.
DF hasn't announced the price of V2 yet, but I would assume it will cost more as it is a more advanced kit.
As far as which is faster, well, you can build both engines over 500hp, and modify stuff for the race track, so a lot of it depends on how far you want to take it. Both will be fast and fun.
With taking body panels and just keeping everything I would need to be legal on the road it would cost 14560 not including the car and shipping

ToothMagician

I'm finding that a lot of parts are not available for the LSJ cobalt. Basic things like valve cover bolts and the coolant resevoir, etc are no longer being produced. Something to be aware of. The V2 will probably be more $$ but you'll have more time to save and VW will still be supporting the mkvii GTI for a while.

I'm finding that a lot of parts are not available for the LSJ cobalt. Basic things like valve cover bolts and the coolant resevoir, etc are no longer being produced. Something to be aware of. The V2 will probably be more $$ but you'll have more time to save and VW will still be supporting the mkvii GTI for a while.
The problem is Im not sure if i like the looks so far of the V2 and it having a full frame like the offroad style goblin had.

duthehustle93

It sounds like you're in a position where you have more time than money? Keep an eye out for an abandoned and unfinished build... they're usually sub-$10k for the kit+donor. I specifically wanted a SS/TC donor, and saw 3 for sale in the $8-9k range and jumped on chassis #5. After transport, plane tickets, and purchase, I'm in ~$10k.

The downside is you're getting a hodge-podge of stuff... some parts will be missing, several started and unfinished projects, and there is a lot more risk (my engine ended up being bad). However, if you have the time and not the money, it's a good opportunity.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
On a side note, any coolant reservoir with enough pipe bungs would work, DF just happened to notice you'd have that one on hand after scrapping a Cobalt. I'm using the one out of an HHR/Saturn because of how it bolts on. There are many other possible stock jugs available and constructed items for universal adaptation. TM, those valve cover bolts could be subbed with readily available OTC hardware, the seals should come with a valve cover gasket set. But those OEM ones I sent you LOOK waaaay better!;)

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
The downside is you're getting a hodge-podge of stuff... some parts will be missing
Send me your missing bits list and I'll send you what I've found. I clean up bits from around Cobalts, post JY pulls. Yards are in a time sensitive biz and hardware is not relevant to them, they just drop it anywhere and walk away with the money part they have sold. I pick up the interesting and the commonly lost/misplaced bits for pennies. They chop wire harnesses and I'll commonly pick up the loose ends and misc plugs.

Where are you located? There’s a cobalt ss/sc on fb marketplace near me in Tn
Michigan, I have seen a decent amount on marketplace but they either want a ton for them like 5k+ or they have a blown engine and want 2k or just parting the entire thing out

Markm

Michigan, I have seen a decent amount on marketplace but they either want a ton for them like 5k+ or they have a blown engine and want 2k or just parting the entire thing out
The one I found is in wildersville Tn for $2500. After looking at his ad again it’s a turbo car

Chubbs

Given the budget nature of the build, I would be shopping for a base model cobalt....not the SS.

Base models can be had for peanuts all day long. The engine can be built later for a reasonable price to exceed the power level of a stock SS. Given the price increase of the SS over the last few years, I'd wager you can buy a base model and build it to 250hp for cheaper than you can find an SS at this point.

There's also a chance you get the goblin built and decide 150hp is plenty, because it is. 150 hp in a built goblin is way faster than 300hp in an unbuilt goblin.

Scott #321

Given the budget nature of the build, I would be shopping for a base model cobalt....not the SS.

Base models can be had for peanuts all day long. The engine can be built later for a reasonable price to exceed the power level of a stock SS. Given the price increase of the SS over the last few years, I'd wager you can buy a base model and build it to 250hp for cheaper than you can find an SS at this point.

There's also a chance you get the goblin built and decide 150hp is plenty, because it is. 150 hp in a built goblin is way faster than 300hp in an unbuilt goblin.
I would agree. If i were building another one I would just opt for the base model manual trans. Modifications can be made to achieve high Hp for less than the cost of finding a SS donor unless you just get lucky. LSJ parts are getting very hard to find and the LNF is a more complicated beast to tune in addition to being limited on aftermarket support.