[GUIDE] Montana Registration

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
License and Theft Agent - The MV-20 can be filled out by any Law Enforcement Officer (LEO). Be sure and get his business card and attach it to the form. I had NO issues.

Attachments

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Correct me if I'm wrong but there appears to be an updated "Inspection Checklist" Form "MV70A" that indicates that:
1) Device for clearing rain, snow...
2) Equipped with Parking Brake
3) Requires Front and Rear Bumpers

jayrolls

Had my first attempt to get the MV-20 signed yesterday. I fill out a box wrong and will trying again tomorrow. FL cop told me they would sign the form because it was going to Montana, but said the car would be highly illegal here in Florida. I just smiled because he just isn’t correct about that. Was gonna argue with the one who is willing to sign the paperwork. I think I filled out the back of the MCO, I signed the purchaser block with my regular signature. Anyone have any thoughts.

jayrolls

With the MV-20 form did you also have to supply them with any paperwork from the donor?

Didn’t ask for it, but I had everything readily available. For me it was the same officer that did my donor paperwork. so he already had seen it.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
The Law Enforcement Office (LEO) is only verifying the Frame Number (VIN). Should never be a issue. As far as his opinion, you know what they say !!!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Every LEO is different. They're all people, so they all have good days and bad. Treat them with respect and be as prepared as possible, to have the easiest time. Flies, honey, vinegar, etc. That being said, I signed the back of my MCO, as well as used that as my odometer declaration. I had no problems.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
So that was painless :) I gave the local LEO a call and they had someone at my house in 30 minutes.

She looked at the MV20 form and saw that it was for Montana and asked “your registering it in Montana” I replied with a simple”Yes” and within five minutes had the paper work signed along with her business card to include when I submit it.

Now just waiting for MCO from DFK, edit: within 10 minutes got email that MCO is on its way. :)

Last edited:

jayrolls

Had my first attempt to get the MV-20 signed yesterday. I fill out a box wrong and will trying again tomorrow. FL cop told me they would sign the form because it was going to Montana, but said the car would be highly illegal here in Florida. I just smiled because he just isn’t correct about that. Was gonna argue with the one who is willing to sign the paperwork. I think I filled out the back of the MCO, I signed the purchaser block with my regular signature. Anyone have any thoughts.
Got the LEO to sign my paperwork, sent pictures of all of it to $49 dollar. The only issue they pointed out was that i did not have the bill of sale notarized which i know that was coming. I will be getting the notary on Monday and sending off the paperwork. They did not say anything about the back of the MCO so hopefully signing my name as the buyer was correct. More to follow if there is any issues.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Local bank will Notarize for you. They are not verifying your paperwork they are just verifying your signature on the paperwork.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Not necessarily true. My bank wouldn't do it, so I am certain others would have their banks refuse, too. I paid Brimmer's $5 to do it.