JCas Tacoma Wa city easy entry 07 LS #188 "REGISTERED"

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I've only ever seen TCC refer to a torque converter clutch, which isn't applicable to @Jcas's build since he's got a manual transmission.

Jcas

What is a "tcc/cruise brake" ?
it looks like it is related to traction control still doing my research. I took my wifes Malibu put it in the yard tied off to my pickup and broke traction got same throttle feel as my goblin. I am not sure however if it is same. but sure acted like it.

Jcas

Well it has been quite awhile since I have been here as the problem has been solved. We all pull our hair out until we find it. Mine has to do with the clutch switch that shows the peddle is released. ( I know most do away with this switch) but for whatever Goblin reason mine has to see it work but then it don't like it so with some mild trickery it sees it work but once peddle is at the top the circuit is the open again. The car is happy so don't fix whatever it was just get in set down buckle up and drive.

Last edited:

Jcas

Anyway now that I have gotten everybody up to date on my build here are a couple of pictures of a donor to take me from NA to SC. Still trying to figure out what is what in the trans department I would very much like to up grade maybe higher gear ratio maybe posi but have to search the forums here and learn how to see what tranny we have as the build list has been removed

As my grandfather used to say one man's junk another mans treasure

20220509_172024.jpg

20220509_172044.jpg

Yustas

Nice find, congrats! Are you thinking about replacing entire powerplant including the harness or just the SC for now?

Jcas

Considering that I think it has jumped time as I can only turn the engine over about 3/4 turn then it locks up. So all external parts of engine. I have considered building up wire harness and use ECM just to save some rewire headache saved but just not sure yet. Thought I would spend endless hours going over forum posts to make a decision.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure the SS/SC ECM and the L61 crankshaft reluctor wheel will play nice together. I don't know a lot about the E37 PCM but I think you can access everything needed to run boost on it, so you're probably better off sticking with your current computer.

Jcas

Can anyone tell me what trans this is. I have not had time to go through the forums to find the info.20220527_183702.jpg

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Looks like an F35 but no LSD. The 4.05 final drive would be an F35. But I believe the LSDs said LSD on them. You can pull the axles and look through the opening. If you can see through, then it doesn’t have an LSD. If you can’t look through, then it has an LSD

Jcas

Looks like an F35 but no LSD. The 4.05 final drive would be an F35. But I believe the LSDs said LSD on them. You can pull the axles and look through the opening. If you can see through, then it doesn’t have an LSD. If you can’t look through, then it has an LSD
Thank you I will do

Jcas

So Please forgive any info that may not be correct here but I believe that I have currently in the car a F23? My build came from a very very basic two door Cobalt. So with that being said we see several things that peak a bit of concern. current car is all 4 lug the next donor is 5 lug the donor has a stub shaft on pass. side mine does not and the speed sensor is in the tranny on my build and the F35 has speed sensor on stub shaft. So I guess all my questions is this will my car see the new speed sensor okay and are the splines in the CVs the same if not how hard is it to fix.

Please don't say not a problem Jim. just take a hammer and beat this that way and a hot wrench and cut this here and then weld that there then all will be fine. My main concern is being ten buck two with hill billy bob behind a parts counter in tumbleweed city and having to remember what mods where done to get this in.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Does your base model motor have the mounting holes for the intermediate shaft support bearing?

I know an F35 can be replaced with an F23 on an LSJ because I've done it. Base model axles and trans mounts, F23 slave cylinder/TOB, and LSJ clutch. I'd imagine the reverse could be done if you can get the intermediate shaft mount attached to the block.

The inner CV splines are different between F23 and F35, the outer CV splines are the same for all Cobalts except for the LNF.

I'm not aware of any F35 with a sensor on the intermediate shaft. Both my F23 and F35 had the speed sensor in the same general location on the transmissions, but the reverse switch is in a different spot on the transmission. You'll need a tune to keep the speedometer accurate, but the speed sensors are otherwise compatible.

If I were in your shoes and I had a non-LSD F35, I'd keep the F23 if it worked fine.

Let me know if you have any more questions or if I haven't answered the ones you've already asked!

CajunJeff

I vaguely remember first-year Ion Redlines ('04) with LSJ/F35 had the final drive/wheel speed sensor on the intermediate shaft. Will have to double-check that, but pretty sure.

Jcas

I vaguely remember first-year Ion Redlines ('04) with LSJ/F35 had the final drive/wheel speed sensor on the intermediate shaft. Will have to double-check that, but pretty sure.
The group I had over Sunday seemed to agree that it must be a speed sensor as both abs sensors are on the wheels and the only other thing we find has to be back up on the tranny itself

CajunJeff

The group I had over Sunday seemed to agree that it must be a speed sensor as both abs sensors are on the wheels and the only other thing we find has to be back up on the tranny itself
The shaft speed sensor also has a different number of reluctor teeth than the ones with the sensor inside the trans. So ECU has to be set for that sensor for it to work right.

That might be part of the problem if Traction Control is looking for a certain signal? Not exactly sure. I'm not an expert on Cobalts... just the Ion Redline. :) And they don't have TCC.

CajunJeff

Oh! Almost forgot- if that's an '04 Redline, it doesn't have an LSD. They only offered the competition package (with gray wheels, boost gauge and LSD) from 2005 on.