JCas Tacoma Wa city easy entry 07 LS #188 "REGISTERED"

Jcas

Nice cruise. Bet there are a lot of people going the other way wondering what the heck that was they just passed. :)
We took a 750 mile run over last weekend and one case got the best look over of all. We where flying down the freeway at 75ish and passed a horse trailer and crew cab pickup with a dog hanging out the back window. That dog watch us pass by with such a look we thought he was going to jump over into our car lol. I am sure once we passed by he ran up to the farmer and said we gotta have one of them there cars.

And yes you get the looks young, old, male, female. They all look and gas station stops......they take awhile.

Jcas

Well another step closer to a finished Goblin. I found a super charger at a local wrecking yard for 100 dollars. It had 125,000 on the odometer so I hope it is okay. So we will collect the rest of the parts over the next month or so and then......... Zooooom maybe ziiiiip fits better

Jcas

I also ment to share with all of you got a special peace of mail Friday from the state of Washington. The birth certificate (title) showed up naming me as the proud parent. Almost want to put it in a glass frame and mount it on the wall.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I copied this private conversation to your build log, so that others can help us too. I'm still a newb with HP Tuners, but willing to learn!
Okay I got my hptuner yesterday. I pulled my base file saved it then looked through found where I could change tire size and change how DTCs where handled by ECM. Made those changes (all evap codes) now I don't have any zip in 1st and 2nd but look out for 3rd. So I figured I f***ed up reflashed old file figuring that should fix but the problem still exists any Idea. I know some dumb sob playing with stuff he should not.
Now we have 2 dumb sobs playing with stuff!
Wierd. That shouldn't happen. If you reflashed the old file, it should go back to the way it was. Seems like something has changed outside of this.
HP Tuners has a repository where we can download other peoples tunes. You can compare your base file to make sure that your car's tune is stock (but don't load it into your car).

1305430974.hpt
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
Engine: 2.2 L4 - Manual
Submitted By: Killa B

Okay here is another hint. Runs great with clutch in let clutch out problem. So disconnected the clutch out switch and she keeps your head pinned to the seat runs like the wind

Any clue as to what I messed up. The only reason I put that switch back in was for cruise
My 2006 Cobalt has a clutch switch for the cruise (which I removed) and a 2nd switch for the engine start.

Why would a clutch switch reduce torque in 1st & 2nd?
My F35 transmission only has a reverse switch, so the PCM doesn't know what gear it is in, and therefor can't do torque by gear.
You have the F35 too, right? So your car doesn't know what gear it is in too.
I wonder if it is a temperature thing. Maybe by the time you got to 3rd gear, there was enough heat in the engine, and it came off of choke circuit. The emission stuff you changed might have effected the cold start. Just a theory, but it makes better sense considering what was changed.

Check for me the emission stuff - I'm not sure reloading a tune changes the MIL evap code stuff. Maybe those changes are still in your engine tune.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jcas

Yes I have the f35 trans and that is what I thought to was that the ecm had no way of knowing what gear it was in. Temp has no bearing to problem as it does it from cold to 190 which is it normal run temp. I am wondering if the after market cruise put the ecm into limp mode and if I have a problem with the unit because I have had a P0606 code pop up during this adventure as well so I am going to run with both unplugged for a bit and see then plug switch back in without after market cruise. But it seems funny that this limp mode only happened when I played with files still makes me think it is something I did somewhere. I was careful so I thought as to not mess with things I knew nothing about.

But test run last night with switch unplugged was the best it has ran since I put switch and after market cruise in. Back to the Holy Crap that car moves.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Yes I have the f35 trans and that is what I thought to was that the ecm had no way of knowing what gear it was in. Temp has no bearing to problem as it does it from cold to 190 which is it normal run temp. I am wondering if the after market cruise put the ecm into limp mode and if I have a problem with the unit because I have had a P0606 code pop up during this adventure as well so I am going to run with both unplugged for a bit and see then plug switch back in without after market cruise. But it seems funny that this limp mode only happened when I played with files still makes me think it is something I did somewhere. I was careful so I thought as to not mess with things I knew nothing about.

But test run last night with switch unplugged was the best it has ran since I put switch and after market cruise in. Back to the Holy Crap that car moves.
Almost positive you have the F23 transmission

Jcas

Almost positive you have the F23 transmission
You may be correct but I believe ECM still really has no clue as to which gear we are in.

My drive to work was great.......until the ugly monster raised its head again so it is not programming nor is it the clutch switch so unplugged cruise control module and we will see if that did the trick. In any regards if playing around that area fixes the issue then I know where to look for the problem as both are within inches of each other

Ross

Goblin Guru
The file is quite different than the stock tune I downloaded:
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
Engine: 2.2 L4 - Manual
Submitted By: Killa B

Either Killa B or your tune is not stock.

Jcas

I took Killa B's stock file, and copied the 'stock' settings to your tune file goblin62420c.hpt to make you a new file that is stock, and for your PCM.
This should return you PCM to a stock tune.

You will want to reset your STFT and LTFT if you try this in your PCM.
Okay you lost me here for a second STFT? And LTFT? Once you tell me I know I will slap my forehead

Jcas

So how do we rest STFT and the LTFT. By the way that is long term fuel trim and short term fuel trim if you didn't know already lol.

My main question is why did it run great for 21 miles this morning?

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Maybe who ever tuned your PCM did it for a reason that we are unaware of. You can compare the 2 tunes in VCM Editor and see the differences. (Ctrl+5 will show the differences)
Putting the tune back to Chevy stock is not perfect for our Goblin, but it might be closer than the tune you have.
Resetting STFT and LTFT to zero will start the engine learning process from zero. If you don't reset these, the learning process starts from the old settings, and will just take longer to learn, but it will learn. The reset is in the logging software - VCM Scanner, Vehicle, Controls & Special Functions.